• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

If you wouldn't mind revisiting that PGX question one more time I'd appreciate it. Everything I've heard has been rather bad, but now I'm hearing some alternate info: as in higher grades (or at least equivalent) when submitted to the CGC.

With regards to missed restoration: couldn't you potentially use a black light to scan the surface of the comic thru the slab? That technique coupled with a possible return policy and favorable pricing might give an individual some greater incentive to grab a PGX slab.

So, speculation on the 7.5 by Sparkle City on ebay? Nice PQ. Decent looking back cover for a 7.5. But most books by Sparkle City on ebay hammer for a price below market value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-the-Bold-28-CGC-7-5-1st-Justice-League-of-America-DC-Silver-Age-Comic-/350822292294?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51aea35b46

I am going to speculate that it goes for a steal (IMHO) at 18k.

I have to comment on the current bidding for this item. There is a 0 feedback bidder that is bent on having the highest bid. Sparklecity is probably the best comic dealer on E-Bay and their integrity is beyond reproach. But the actions of this 0 feedback bidder will undoubtedly raise some controversy. I wish this bidder would go away.

So, speculation on the 7.5 by Sparkle City on ebay? Nice PQ. Decent looking back cover for a 7.5. But most books by Sparkle City on ebay hammer for a price below market value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brave-the-Bold-28-CGC-7-5-1st-Justice-League-of-America-DC-Silver-Age-Comic-/350822292294?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51aea35b46

I have to comment on the current bidding for this item. There is a 0 feedback bidder that is bent on having the highest bid. Sparklecity is probably the best comic dealer on E-Bay and their integrity is beyond reproach. But the actions of this 0 feedback bidder will undoubtedly raise some controversy. I wish this bidder would go away.

I agree BB but SC normally does a background check on zero or low bidders (I questioned one before).

There have been stories of pgx grading tighter than CGC leading to upgrade for years, but my experience has been the opposite. Pgx grades differently, so upgrades and downgrades are to be expected.

Do you know of any way to examine the difference between their grading process/scales?

To my knowledge, neither publishes their grading process...

I agree BB but SC normally does a background check on zero or low bidders (I questioned one before).

Do you think someone is schilling?

Does Sparklecity broker comics for people?

There have been stories of pgx grading tighter than CGC leading to upgrade for years, but my experience has been the opposite. Pgx grades differently, so upgrades and downgrades are to be expected.

Do you know of any way to examine the difference between their grading process/scales?

it doesnt even matter. PGX has no credibility in the comics market, except, for a few who prefer the lower prices they charge.

That's good to hear. Still, it has to be discouraging to bidders to see this going on.

The strategy of this zero feedback bidder is to immediately outbid everyone that bids. If I were bidding, I would walk away. I cannot see how this will benefit the consignor.

it doesnt even matter. PGX has no credibility in the comics market, except, for a few who prefer the lower prices they charge.

I agree that their reputation is mud and I avoid them most of the time. I was just seeking to understand your comment:

Pgx grades differently, so upgrades and downgrades are to be expected.

Reputation aside, it seems that many people have a different reason for not liking PGX and I wanted to understand if was based on a flaw in their systems or process versus bad people (management or employees).

It is unfortunate this zero feedback bidder is in the mix. But remember SCC requires a credit on file (for indentification) for anyone bidding $15000 or more.

hm hm - and there is someone with a Cgc 7.0 listed for sale and zero feedback.....I really think eBay is the problem. Someone has been using my scans for a "grab bag auction". I roported this a month ago and it's still there.

A) cant pretend you own something you don't (provable by the slab number!)

B) chance auctions are not allowed (which a grab bag auction is)

Really frustrating and troubling ......

It is unfortunate this zero feedback bidder is in the mix. But remember SCC requires a credit on file (for indentification) for anyone bidding $15000 or more.

hm hm - and there is someone with a Cgc 7.0 listed for sale and zero feedback.....I really think eBay is the problem. Someone has been using my scans for a "grab bag auction". I roported this a month ago and it's still there.

I agree eBay is not interested in doing very much to dissuade anyone from listing something on their sites (illegal, immoral, unethical or otherwise). Of course they have their policies and claim to be the pinnacle of security....but the reality is that their main priority is making a dime, everything else comes a distant second or worse.

Frankly, they way the law is with the internet today, there isn't much we can do. Laws will progress and things will get better, but it is and always will be slow going.

I wish I could ban eBay from my life, but it has become a small necessity and that sucks.

Edited by rfoiii

Yeah, ebay deserves some of the blame.

But I just contacted SC and they said if they don't hear from the dude today, his bids will be canceled.

Not for nothing and I know this point has been raised once before: but everyone starts with 0 on Ebay and gradually gains rep.

Someone could have conceivably been searching for BB 28 for sale and found the Ebay link....finding that was the only place to obtain said comic currently in whatever grade they were looking for...they could have decided to open an acct.

So FWIW it could be a totally legitimate buyer. I know my first few auctions with little or no rep I purchased some sizeable things.

It could also be some sketchy however, so who knows. Either way it raises some questions but it could be nothing more than some newbie's first auction.

If I were the seller I'd have blocked people with little or no feedback and eliminated that option. I always put as many limiters as allowed on any item I've put on the bay....won't keep all the baddies out but certainly clears the floor of many that are a known problem.

Not for nothing and I know this point has been raised once before: but everyone starts with 0 on Ebay and gradually gains rep.

Someone could have conceivably been searching for BB 28 for sale and found the Ebay link....finding that was the only place to obtain said comic currently in whatever grade they were looking for...they could have decided to open an acct.

So FWIW it could be a totally legitimate buyer. I know my first few auctions with little or no rep I purchased some sizeable things.

It could also be some sketchy however, so who knows. Either way it raises some questions but it could be nothing more than some newbie's first auction.

If I were the seller I'd have blocked people with little or no feedback and eliminated that option. I always put as many limiters as allowed on any item I've put on the bay....won't keep all the baddies out but certainly clears the floor of many that are a known problem.

(thumbs u

Agreed, zero feedback buyers with actual intent to buy are likely more common than we give credit. Frankly, I think we see a zero feedback buyer, assume the worst and get frustrated because we now have to pay more. In all likelihood there will never be a way to fully "vet" all buyers before an auction outside of having a valid credit card or bank account provided. Any action further than that would be unwarranted and potentially prejudicious. Don't forget that the system is set up so you can put in the maximum you want to pay for any given item at any time. If someone else wants to pay more (zero feedback or otherwise) that is their prerogative.

However, zero feedback sellers should be monitored and restricted for pre-perscribed periods of time and be held to performance standards. IMO eBay does a mediocre job at this today and could do with a higher level of scrutiny, striker/clearer regulations and increased staffing to monitor listing/selling activity.

Edited by rfoiii

But I just contacted SC and they said if they don't hear from the dude today, his bids will be canceled.

Good job PeeWee ! Still, whether legitimate or not, I think SC should ban him. His newbie strategy of immediately outbidding everyone is annoying. It's not fair to the consignor as I think legitimate bidders will walk away. What's the upside to letting him bid ?

Good job PeeWee ! Still, whether legitimate or not, I think SC should ban him. His newbie strategy of immediately outbidding everyone is annoying. It's not fair to the consignor as I think legitimate bidders will walk away. What's the upside to letting him bid ?

Of course, if SC cancels his bids, the highest bid may be near ground zero. lol