• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

BB28 7.5 for $12450 is a record price for that book in that grade and 25% jump a few years ago. That's a healthy price.

A few example for the FMV for the top DC SA

Showcase 4 7.5 $20K

Brave and the Bold 28 7.5 $12.5K

Showcase 22 7.5 $10K

Yes, it may be a record price, but people had higher expectations I think.

Perhaps that 8.5 that will be coming up on ComicConnect in the fall had an impact on this particular sale? Maybe some people are waiting for that auction?

Yes, it may be a record price, but people had higher expectations I think.

Perhaps that 8.5 that will be coming up on ComicConnect in the fall had an impact on this particular sale? Maybe some people are waiting for that auction?

I was very surprised at the 8.5 $40K sale. A SC4 8.5 sold for $47.5K, Showcase 22 8.5 $21K. Let's see if the next BB28 8.5 in CC can match that price. hm

There have been some downward trends in moderns thru the summer, so I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility. That said, I wanted to go in on that auction. Let's just say a substantial amount higher than it went for. I missed it by a small amount of time because I didn't want to put bids in until the end. I was concerned about getting into a contest way before the 11th hour, in retrospect I could have bid earlier and walked of for nominally more than it was sold for tonight.

I don't think it was a strong 7.5. Looked 7.0 to me.

I do wonder how much of the perceived increased interest in BB28 is board specifc, generated by this thread and others.

To be fair I don't think this thread influences the prices on this comic significantly or at all.

If you're talking modern comics, I'd say these boards have a significant impact because of flippers. As far as the interest being board specific, there is a high concentration of golden, silver and copper comic afficionados here at the CGC boards so if there was a place where there'd be interest it'd be here (not really that surprising tho)

To be fair I don't think this thread influences the prices on this comic significantly or at all.

If you're talking modern comics, I'd say these boards have a significant impact because of flippers. As far as the interest being board specific, there is a high concentration of golden, silver and copper comic afficionados here at the CGC boards so if there was a place where there'd be interest it'd be here (not really that surprising tho)

hm

I don't think it was a strong 7.5. Looked 7.0 to me.

I do wonder how much of the perceived increased interest in BB28 is board specifc, generated by this thread and others.

+2 re grading. I would have said 6.5 personally. It is not a nice copy at all for the grade.

Edited by kimik

Prices on this book have gone out of control since fall 2012 when this thread began. I don't think it's coincidence.

The singular reason I don't completely agree is simply because these books are generally expensive (even before 2012). They aren't the quick buy and dump sorts of picks. That said there is speculation, but the speculators of this comic tend to be rather old school and fairly well versed in the market. They aren't going to be swayed by talk alone which can sometimes drive the modern market into overdrive.

We've seen some sales hit the stratosphere with high #s and we've seen some go for significantly less than anticipated. If there were a huge correlation between what was said here and the sales out there: many of these lower sale #s wouldn't exist.

I do still believe we haven't seen the tip of the iceberg. There are a myriad of reasons why something may be an outlier but one thing is for sure: the pricing over the next couple of years will steadily increase and peak at the approximate time that any JLA movie comes out. Any DC movies that relate to the characters within the JLA will also impact the pricing. It's pretty much a guarantee. Of course we'll keep on talking about it, to what extent THAT has an impact I'm unsure. I do know that the things I state here and bring to the table have already influenced the types and amounts of purchases I make.

I would be on the lookout for first appearances of Cyborg FTR. My spidey-sense tells me that he's going to appear in the JLA film. DC has used him before in the old Superfriends Super-Powers animated show, as well as having utilized him in the animated Teen Titans show and more recently he's been integrated into the Injustice: Gods Among Us game as well as being teased in the MOS movie. Plus with the retooling of the continuity at DC he's been made retrospectively one of the founding members of the JLA. His character is ethnically diverse he's a shoe in for the JLA to round them out since the Avengers had no such integration so far, but will do so with the Falcon in Avengers 2.

I wonder if the seller of the 7.0 on Ebay is going to rethink his price which is over $2K more?

The same ebay seller has *five* copies of B&B 28 currently up for sale; probably wants to hype it all he can.

We've seen some sales hit the stratosphere with high #s and we've seen some go for significantly less than anticipated. If there were a huge correlation between what was said here and the sales out there: many of these lower sale #s wouldn't exist.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Copies that appear overgraded will not fair as well as copies that present well. Regardless of whatever else is affecting a hammer price, this will always be the case. Especially with 5-figure books, where collectors are especially particular about what they're paying for.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Copies that appear overgraded will not fair as well as copies that present well. Regardless of whatever else is affecting a hammer price, this will always be the case. Especially with 5-figure books, where collectors are especially particular about what they're paying for.

But I think we agree about the point you made: copies that appear overgraded will not command as high a price.

I wonder if the seller of the 7.0 on Ebay is going to rethink his price which is over $2K more?

The same ebay seller has *five* copies of B&B 28 currently up for sale; probably wants to hype it all he can.

To be fair that seller is both a boardie and someone that actively participates in this thread. He's a stand up guy and in spite of whatever price he's listed he has a "Best Offer" option. That means he's willing to discuss other prices of course and I'm sure that's always related to the state of the market at any given time. Honestly there aren't TOO many of these out there in high grade that have surfaced. I'm certain given enough time the prices are going to eclipse his current asking price. BTW: hype isn't necessarily a bad thing.

To be fair that seller is both a boardie and someone that actively participates in this thread. He's a stand up guy and in spite of whatever price he's listed he has a "Best Offer" option. That means he's willing to discuss other prices of course and I'm sure that's always related to the state of the market at any given time. Honestly there aren't TOO many of these out there in high grade that have surfaced. I'm certain given enough time the prices are going to eclipse his current asking price. BTW: hype isn't necessarily a bad thing.

+1

I think a lot of the lower sale numbers are due to sellers undervaluing the book with low BIN prices. You see that with two rather low Comiclink BIN prices and some low-ish eBay BIN prices. I just dont know where the hype train on this book is going.

Is this book really undervalued at this point? I don't think it is any longer. In fact, I'll wager that it's ready for a plateau and a slow decline over the next couple of years. Maybe SC22 is a fair comparison, maybe not. But I think it's logical to compare because the two books came out relatively close in time (3 months apart) and have practically identical print runs (both 412 universal as of tonight).

SC 22 CGC 5.0 (just for instance) topped out in Feb 2011, four months before Green Lantern's theatrical release, at around $3900 (pq was cream). No other sale since then has come close to that number. Most in fact go for around $2300-2500.

BB28 CGC 5.0 just in May went for nearly $3000 (pq was CROW). I don't see how that number gets much higher. Is JLA much more popular than GL? I don't think so. Is BB28 harder to find in grade than SC22? No, in fact, it's harder to find 6.5s or better of SC22 than BB28. And as I said, the census numbers are identical.

So how exactly does BB28 see more growth over the next 6 years than it's already seen? Unless there's a butt kicking movie come 2018 or whatever, I think folks paying more than $3k for a 5.0 are drinking a kool aid they won't like the taste of in a few years.

The last comment you made is the most salient: "a butt kicking movie". That's on the horizon. As far as GL SC22 is concerned: that took a hit most probably because of the lukewarm if not ice cold movie reviews. I can't speak to which is more scarce but with the relaunch of the DC franchises after MOS the gloves are off.

To say that BB28 won't steadily increase in value approaching a movie that hasn't happened yet vs. a plateau that was established after a movie flopped with it's corresponding book (SC 22) demonstrating marked increases in pricing prior to the movie is a bit off IMO.

That said, your opinion is equivalently as valuble as anyone else's regarding this subject...that's why we're here speculating on the future. I agree that SC cooled off, but some of that cooling was related to the movie and other soft sales were related to the perceived quality of the book being sold. I believe there were some defects folks pointed out regarding those more recent SC sales. The defects were more probably related to the lighter sales #s as is probably the case with some of the softer BB28 sales as well.

I don't expect every sale to be a new high but if you don't believe that this book is going to become more valuable than it already is based merely upon the elapsing of time I don't know what might convince you otherwise. That coupled with a movie that is anticipated to go toe to toe with the Avengers I feel rather confident that we're going to see more growth.