• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

The main thing this announcement does in my opinion truly hurts the money for the CPR people.

The more people who press the less comics there are for other sellers to find those books for a profit.

CGC's and Classics Incorporated new slogan to the CPR people:

milkshake.jpg

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Can someone please make me understand why anyone on the boards is number one shocked by this decision and number two perceiving this as a conflict of interest? (shrug)

If anything this should make the Matt haters (you know who you are :baiting: ) happy that he now cannot sell anymore on eBay starting in February.

I am one of the critics of Mr. Nelson, somehow not understanding how a guy who has been caught systematically shilling books on eBay twice is still afforded the respect he gets from some quarters of the hobby.

However, I'm with you on this issue 100%. There is no way that books dealt with by CI will be treated any differently by the grading process, than when books arrived from CI in TX.

I'm curious as to the implementation of this partnership, especially with submission.

Are you submitting books to CI or to CGC with a box checked ? If it's to CGC with a box checked you will no longer get the dealer discount.

BTW, I think this partnership makes sense. Matt is certainly the right person for the job. I hope he does have input on the grading process. He has has more experience

than most, if not all, of the current CGC grading team. I just think it makes the whole process and company stronger.

One advantage to those that don't care about pressing is going to be the huge increase in high grade books as the census numbers explode due to the integrated, institutionalized pressing "ringer" comic books will now be put through. Should definitely bring prices down moving forward. (thumbs u

Stick a fork in bronze.

Really It's going to be virtually everything post 1966, and basically every Marvel post FF 1....but all of that was happening already I guess. This will just speed up the inevitable wind down of values.

I agree. But people have been saying for a long time that paying inflated prices for >9.2 grades was a gamble on anything later than early SA. We have already seen corrections on some of these books.

My thought on this is simple. Alot of collectors from the "early days" are in their 60'-70's. Why not cash in? There are certainly a TON of HG collectors out there who have been hoarding since the 70's.

Two days posting, boy you must be exhausted from all that work :baiting:

Hold on let me turn over for my back to get tan. Ahhh that is better. :)

Monday I am going up to LA to have dinner with Brian.

Fly in. :baiting:

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Yes, it's a clear conflict of interest.

If you want a HG slab, ya gotta pay the pressing tax.

Who cares? Buyers of expensive slabs won't see much of a price hike or difference & they're likely to get much prettier books more consistently, even in low & mid grades.

The Curator must've sought out from the newstand copies with indented staples and crushed spines. meh

Just a few of many examples.

Av11Curator.jpg

FF11Curator.jpg

FF51Curator-2.jpg

FF13Curator.jpg

FF38Curator.jpg

Yipes! :o

Already been discussed in detail. That defect happens to plenty of books that are not pressed too. I've seen it many times, especially on FF's for some reason.

The fact that the books were pressed is not conclusive for that reason. Can happen during shipping, handling, pressing, in the CGC holder.

The jury rests.

On the other hand, if you believe that CGC does what they say they do - grade books impartially no matter who subs them or from where they originate - this announcement is a complete non-issue. It's simply a value-added service from CGC's side that you can either use or ignore - no different than, say, fast-tracking a book.

It was viewed as a conflict of interest once upon a time:

"Following on the heels of CGC's announcement last week that they are closing PCS, Classics Incorporated is stepping up its dedication to accuracy, safety, and prompt service...

... In Nelson's opinion there has never been a better, safer, and more fruitful time to collect or invest in comics than now. "We commend CGC for their decision to put the collectors' best interests first." SCOOP

Applauding the closing of PCS as promoting "collectors' best interests", then assuming that role years later, is a reversal of opinion, if nothing else.

Conflict then, 'value-added service' now.

Very interesting....

Already been discussed in detail. That defect happens to plenty of books that are not pressed too. I've seen it many times, especially on FF's for some reason.

The fact that the books were pressed is not conclusive for that reason. Can happen during shipping, handling, pressing, in the CGC holder.

It happens during pressing. I'll spare you the repeat posting, but I've already disclosed examples of staple indentation and color breaking horizontal creasing at the overhang on two books that I had pressed by the new head of the CCG pressing service. I also explained to you over dinner in Atlantic City the physical principle that leads to staple indentations during the pressing process. You seemed to understand it at the time.

The fact that CGC will happily assign a 9.6 grade to a comic with an indented staple or a color breaking horizontal overhang crease provides financial incentive that supports pressing.

All art gets restored. Us comic book collectors are the last to realize this.

Dan

This statement is 100% not true.

Ditto.

I just finished about 30 pages of this thread, and if I paused to point out every incorrect statement I read in it, I might not make my dinner reservations!

All art gets restored. Us comic book collectors are the last to realize this.

Dan

This statement is 100% not true.

Ditto.

I just finished about 30 pages of this thread, and if I paused to point out every incorrect statement I read in it, I might not make my dinner reservations!

Why is pressing a book any different than an art restorer cleaning up smoke stains on a classic?

Dan