• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

You guys this is a non-issue.

This parent company of CCG knows what the hell they are doing.

CGC and Classics Inc will be under one umbrella company but come on use some common sense. They are not going to destroy the reputation they have created for themselves by doing something shady now with the grading going forward.

They will keep the resto/pressing under one area and when books move from that side of the company over to the CGC side for grading they will be handled fairly. If they do this in any other manner they will kill the company and they are smarter than this.

If you have a problem with resto or pressing that is another subject, but this is a non-issue and nothing shady is going to happen unless they are out to destroy the company from within.

Love me a good Friday thread!!

This.

SHILL

CGC and Classics Inc will be under one umbrella company but come on use some common sense. They are not going to destroy the reputation they have created for themselves by doing something shady now with the grading going forward.

They will keep the resto/pressing under one area and when books move from that side of the company over to the CGC side for grading they will be handled fairly. If they do this in any other manner they will kill the company and they are smarter than this.

If you have a problem with resto or pressing that is another subject, but this is a non-issue and nothing shady is going to happen unless they are out to destroy the company from within.

This.

Your ID is from 10 years ago, but your first post was this past Spring regarding Grader's Notes?

Why?

The Cycle of Noise

1. Someone introduces a new concept in grading.

2. The world explodes because OHMYGODITWONTWORKOHMYGODCOMICSAREFOREADING etc etc etc.

3. There are - literally - tens of thousands of message board posts.

4. The marketplace shakes into three camps (1) virulent anti-, (2) strongly pro, and (3) unwashed "i don't care"

5. Thousands upon thousands more message board posts

6. Heated discussions at any event where people get together.

7. Friendships are strongly strained.

8. The original introducer is shamed and called an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, someone out to rape the marketplace.

9. The noise continues at a fever pitch for quite some time.

10. Many people come and say "everybody's always done it."

11. Slowly, ever so slowly, the wave abates as people decide that (1) it really doesn't matter or (2) they don't care.

12. The marketplace decides.

CGC

Wizard First

Pressing

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

This.

corporate toadie,, being paid per post or per hour?

What will happen when CGC owns the company?

CGC will not own the company. They will be sister companies.

It is CCG that is buying Matt's company.

Classics only works on comics, unless they spread out to coins and cards, the issue is only relevant with CGC items...so the relationship is there, between the two parts of the umbrella company. You can try and spin it as if it's not...but they didn't "acquire" classics because they would help the coin/card business.

Once again, NGC (owned by the Certified Collectibles Group who owns CGC) already owns NCS (a conservation company for coins). Coin collectors everywhere are probably wondering what all the 'fuss' is about as this company has been 'in house' (under the same company umbrella as NGC) for years.

Edited to add: If you look at how one submits to NCS and then NGC,. this may help answer the questions as to how this process will work between CGC and now Classics Incorporated.

Does NGS REMOVE restoration, so the item can be sold as completely unrestored?

It is more done as 'conservation' (however, not every collector agrees with the use and definition of that word). That being said, have you checked out their website?

www.ncscoin.com

So comic collectors want their slabbing company to more ethical than coin slabbing companies. Is that so wrong?

You want me to answer a question based on total 'generalizations?'

You are assuming based on your own analysis and perspectives (which are self biased, as are mine, or anyone's for that matter) that all comic collectors are against this. Am I not a comic book collector? I fail to see any issue with this acquisition. At te end of the day, much like NGC and NCS; BOTH companies will flourish. I also collect a TON of other items, including coins. A lot of people cross-collect in today's day and age.

Again, my opinion means very little in the full scope of things (as does any one's individual opinion). Time will tell, but I fail to see how this will affect the market overall. If anyone however, wants to sell their books at 'fire sale prices' because of this, I among many other collectors and dealers will gladly make offers.

Still, I do respect your opinion and you are entitled to it. I would not however make a bet that comic collecting will change much, just because this announcement means a lot to certain individuals on this forum.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I think they should be spending more money on encapsulation equipment and hiring employees so they can get caught up to a reasonable turnaround time. A move like this is kind of a slap in the face to anyone who's still waiting on subs. 2c

Yep. Even without new graders an encapsulation machine or two and unskilled labor to pack shipping boxes would help. And another QC person to catch label errors would be nice too.

The Cycle of Noise

2. The world explodes because OHMYGODITWONTWORKOHMYGODCOMICSAREFOREADING etc etc etc.

4. The marketplace shakes into three camps (1) virulent anti-, (2) strongly pro, and (3) unwashed "i don't care"

8. The original introducer is shamed and called an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, a insufficiently_thoughtful_person, someone out to rape the marketplace.

11. Slowly, ever so slowly, the wave abates as people decide that (1) it really doesn't matter or (2) they don't care.

CGC

Wizard First

Pressing

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

I see your generalizations and raise you a generalization:

2. There is much gnashing of teeth.

3. The marketplace adapts.

The Cycle of Noise

CGC

Wizard First

Pressing

etc

etc

etc

etc

etc

I see your generalizations and raise you a generalization:

2. There is much gnashing of teeth.

3. The marketplace adapts.

Noise reduction is where the smart money's at.