• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

I've used Classics quite a bit on marginal 9.8 candidates when I was filling my Avengers and X-men runs. I have to admit that I am totally not thrilled by this. Aside from the other points raised, Matt's services are already pretty slow and CGC's are ridiculous. Combine the two and you could have books sittingat CGC for a year or more.

THIS.

CGC does NOT care about turnaround times. They can write messages in the forum crying about how upset they are about the wait times and what they are doing to address them. In the meantime they work their staff 10 hours days+ 6 days a week.

If they cared they would fix TT's first.

Yes I know all the arguments about paying graders / getting staff etc. Boo Hoo.

If you like waiting a year for your books go ahead. I'm voting with my wallet and waiting until another reputable company comes to the market before I grade anything else. I'm done with this BS

Lets be real, do you think CGC will let "other" pressing services yield better results than "their" pressing service? This move is to monopolize both the grading aspect of the hobby and now the restoration removal/pressing aspect of the hobby.

This isn't about integrity. It's about maximizing their money.

We're the fools for enabling this. THOUSANDS of dollars difference in .2 of a grade is what caused this. 8.5s pressed up to 9.2s that look exactly the same.

Think my short collecting experience is coming to an end :cry:

Can someone please make me understand why anyone on the boards is number one shocked by this decision and number two perceiving this as a conflict of interest? (shrug)

If anything this should make the Matt haters (you know who you are :baiting: ) happy that he now cannot sell anymore on eBay starting in February.

I am one of the critics of Mr. Nelson, somehow not understanding how a guy who has been caught systematically shilling books on eBay twice is still afforded the respect he gets from some quarters of the hobby.

However, I'm with you on this issue 100%. There is no way that books dealt with by CI will be treated any differently by the grading process, than when books arrived from CI in TX.

It is a curious thing.

Comics are collectable outside of slabs too. (shrug)

(thumbs u And that's exactly what I'll be doing until TT's are back down to 60 days or a legitimate competitor comes into the market.

Time to stock up on Mylars and Full Backs :acclaim:

Already been discussed in detail. That defect happens to plenty of books that are not pressed too. I've seen it many times, especially on FF's for some reason.

The fact that the books were pressed is not conclusive for that reason. Can happen during shipping, handling, pressing, in the CGC holder.

It happens during pressing. I'll spare you the repeat posting, but I've already disclosed examples of staple indentation and color breaking horizontal creasing at the overhang on two books that I had pressed by the new head of the CCG pressing service. I also explained to you over dinner in Atlantic City the physical principle that leads to staple indentations during the pressing process. You seemed to understand it at the time.

The fact that CGC will happily assign a 9.6 grade to a comic with an indented staple or a color breaking horizontal overhang crease provides financial incentive that supports pressing.

I know we spoke about it bt I still believe that a lot happens between the time a book leaves your hands and the time it gets slabbed. That's why I don't believe that blaming it simply on a press job is conclusive. I can say that I've probably had 100's of books pressed and have never seen it on one of my books.

(shrug)

The Curator must've sought out from the newstand copies with indented staples and crushed spines. meh

Just a few of many examples.

As a 40 year FF collector I can state that the FF 51 and 38 above are two of the most infamous issues with naturally occurring indented staples. However the pressing process might very well exasperate the problem.

God, thank you! I've been saying this for years...I often see it on FF books for whatever reason! Now I know that I'm not the only one.

(worship)

This book was pressed. Recessed staples. 9.8

Not Silver Age. Not Marvel. Discuss.

- What did it look like before pressing?

- In my opinion, it shouldn't merit a 9.8

Most wouldn't. It was from the press, which I took directly from the presser and submitted to CGC.

So in line with what you're saying, I have to wonder, is CGC going to see recessed staples across the entire range of comics, as NOT a defect, simply because pressing can cause it? Wouldn't that be the safe business model?

Obviously it raises some questions but...

Can you imagine them pressing a book, recessing the staples, and then downgrading for it? Disastrous.

I've used Classics quite a bit on marginal 9.8 candidates when I was filling my Avengers and X-men runs. I have to admit that I am totally not thrilled by this. Aside from the other points raised, Matt's services are already pretty slow and CGC's are ridiculous. Combine the two and you could have books sittingat CGC for a year or more.

THIS.

CGC does NOT care about turnaround times. They can write messages in the forum crying about how upset they are about the wait times and what they are doing to address them. In the meantime they work their staff 10 hours days+ 6 days a week.

If they cared they would fix TT's first.

Yes I know all the arguments about paying graders / getting staff etc. Boo Hoo.

If you like waiting a year for your books go ahead. I'm voting with my wallet and waiting until another reputable company comes to the market before I grade anything else. I'm done with this BS

Lets be real, do you think CGC will let "other" pressing services yield better results than "their" pressing service? This move is to monopolize both the grading aspect of the hobby and now the restoration removal/pressing aspect of the hobby.

This isn't about integrity. It's about maximizing their money.

We're the fools for enabling this. THOUSANDS of dollars difference in .2 of a grade is what caused this. 8.5s pressed up to 9.2s that look exactly the same.

Pretty wise insights for a newbie, you're right though, the whole thing is simply unbeleivable and is scary as far as CGC's legitimacy is concerned. It's just sad... :blush:

All art gets restored. Us comic book collectors are the last to realize this.

Dan

This statement is 100% not true.

Ditto.

Actually, for the statement to be 100% not true, you would have to be suggesting that a correct statement would be "No art gets restored. US comic book collectors are the first to realize this."

Exactly. The last time I was at the Met and MOMA, the curators were more than happy to let me know what pieces were being restored and therefore not viewable. This pansy approach to purity is pathetic.

Dan

Your statement that ALL art gets restored is not correct. I have a lot of artwork that has not been restored. I think there are probably more work that hasn't been restored than restored but that is a guess on my part.

Fair enough. I think that a lot of work will be restored. Our perception of that work will always be our own.

Dan

All art gets restored. Us comic book collectors are the last to realize this.

Dan

This statement is 100% not true.

Ditto.

Actually, for the statement to be 100% not true, you would have to be suggesting that a correct statement would be "No art gets restored. US comic book collectors are the first to realize this."

Exactly. The last time I was at the Met and MOMA, the curators were more than happy to let me know what pieces were being restored and therefore not viewable. This pansy approach to purity is pathetic.

Dan

Your statement that ALL art gets restored is not correct. I have a lot of artwork that has not been restored. I think there are probably more work that hasn't been restored than restored but that is a guess on my part.

Fair enough. I think that a lot of work will be restored. Our perception of that work will always be our own.

Dan

A painting, sculpture, etc. is one of a kind. After restoration, you do not have the option to choose to buy the restored copy, or hold out for an unrestored one. Also, if it deteriorates, that's it. There aren't 10,000 other copies out there to satisfy the community's needs. Thus, the focus is on preserving the one-of-a-kind item. That said, the art world freaks out when a resto job is done on a major work. And after multiple restoration jobs, a piece becomes suspect and controversy can grow as to whether or not it's beyond the tipping point of being more resto than original.

It's not the same thing as a comic book. To compare the two is to go down the wrong path.

More similar would be comic book OA.