• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover art vs interior art

34 posts in this topic

Reminds me of my early comic days with Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, and Bill Sienkiewicz. Loved having great art inside and out. Nowadays, it seems like the cover is a big tease. J. Scott Campbell comes to mind. I wish that he would would do Spidey interiors, but I'll have to settle for those great pin-up covers.

+1

I loved JSC's Gen13 work, I wish he'd come back to doing interiors. I don't read Spiderman, but I imagine I'd pick it up if he showed up doing the pencils on that book, or pretty much any book for that matter.

I have found it interesting that the industry has slowly gone to cover artists with different interiors. People naturally judge a book by its cover. That is only human nature. When I was a kid I would look at covers I liked and buy the books I have to imagine there are a lot of kids that do the same thing. Imagine how disappointed they are when they get home and find the art was done by someone else...

I don't mind it now though. I love a good J Scott Campbell cover on ASM.

I've made connections with books because of their covers, and connections with books because of their interior art. I don't mind different artists for covers and interiors as long as both are of a good standard. I don't think I'd be drawn to a book that has poor interior art though as it does detract from the overall story, and if it's written well that's a big minus.

While I've enjoyed runs with artists doing both covers and interiors (Batman; Neal Adams, Batman; Kelley Jones; Batman; Tony Daniel, Detective Comics; Graham Nolan, Walking Dead; Charlie Adlard/Tony Moore; Locke & Key; Gabriel Rodriguez just to name a few), there have been some great complimentary cover and interior artist pairings over the years (Preacher; Glenn Fabry/Steve Dillon, Detective Comics; Kelley Jones/Graham Nolan; Batman; Alex Ross/Tony Daniel).

It would be good to see other pairings listed that people hold in high regard.

Nothing is a belly dropper like having a cover drawn by a great comic artist and then have the interior drawn by a scrub. I remember many a cover to both Rom and GI Joe with sweet covers by Zeck and Golden and the interiors just couldn't come close to matching up.

I have found it interesting that the industry has slowly gone to cover artists with different interiors. People naturally judge a book by its cover. That is only human nature. When I was a kid I would look at covers I liked and buy the books I have to imagine there are a lot of kids that do the same thing. Imagine how disappointed they are when they get home and find the art was done by someone else...

There have always been cover artists. In the SA, Infantino & Kubert did like half the DC covers. Kirby cranked out covers for Marvel. In the GA, there are tons and tons and tons of comics with covers by artists who had no hand in the interiors. All through the BA, Kubert and Wrightson and Adams among many others were cranking out covers only.

There have always been cover artists. In the SA, Infantino & Kubert did like half the DC covers. Kirby cranked out covers for Marvel. In the GA, there are tons and tons and tons of comics with covers by artists who had no hand in the interiors. All through the BA, Kubert and Wrightson and Adams among many others were cranking out covers only.

I guess that is true. Maybe I should say I became more aware of it as I got older.

But one thing, most comics now have a totally different cover artist than the interiors. I think it was a SA tend that kind of faded away in the BAand has come back during the MA. Especially now as we move into a point in time when comics have 52+ covers.

I've made connections with books because of their covers, and connections with books because of their interior art. I don't mind different artists for covers and interiors as long as both are of a good standard. I don't think I'd be drawn to a book that has poor interior art though as it does detract from the overall story, and if it's written well that's a big minus.

While I've enjoyed runs with artists doing both covers and interiors (Batman; Neal Adams, Batman; Kelley Jones; Batman; Tony Daniel, Detective Comics; Graham Nolan, Walking Dead; Charlie Adlard/Tony Moore; Locke & Key; Gabriel Rodriguez just to name a few), there have been some great complimentary cover and interior artist pairings over the years (Preacher; Glenn Fabry/Steve Dillon, Detective Comics; Kelley Jones/Graham Nolan; Batman; Alex Ross/Tony Daniel).

It would be good to see other pairings listed that people hold in high regard.

100 Bullets - Dave Johnson (covers) and sweet, sweet interiors by Eduardo Risso.

True. One of the very first books I can remember buying had an Adams wraparound cover, but the insides were all reprints. It was DC 100 pager #6. I didn't even know what a reprint was in those days, so I didn't mind much. Then I discovered Spiderman :cloud9:

My first comic was Savage Sword of Conan #143. It has a great Joe Jusko painted cover. Of course, the interior is not Jusko, but it didn't matter then. I assumed all comics would be that way. When I got into Miller, McFarlane, and Sienkiewizc I felt I had been give a real treat. Of course, that didn't last. Anyway, I still love an awesome painted cover. For some reason, it's ok if the cover art is different than the interior.....if it's painted.

savageswordofconan143f.jpg

Another decent pairing was Jazzy John on covers and Gil Kane on interiors on ASM.

Not as good as Romita doing both covers and interiors, but still pretty good.

Although I would change the last sentence to "Not as good as Kane doing both covers and interiors, but still pretty good", you've hit upon a great art team. I loved Romita Sr's inks over Gil Kane pencils, I wish they had teamed up more often.