• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Donut!!!! Gaiman says no plans for Thor (yet)........

21 posts in this topic

From his website journal:

Neil,

Have you and Marvel either decided or had productive discussions on what your second project with Marvel will be? (Obviously if Marvel has announced nothing you can't reveal what the project will be.)

John Phamlore

---------------------------

Marvel (normally manifesting itself in the person of Joe Quesada) and I have had several discussions. Nothing's been decided yet -- we like a number of possibilities, but in the end it seemed much fairer to everyone for me just to postpone the whole thing until I'm done with ANANSI BOYS, and could give it my full attention, and then start writing it.

(Everything that's been announced as the next Marvel Project on the various comics gossip sites so far hasn't been true.)

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

After 1602, why does anyone care?

smirk.gif

I'll give you that one. Series was good up until the lame ending.

Still, would like to see the Gaiman/Russell combo on Thor. Did you like "Endless Nights", JC?

After 1602, why does anyone care?

smirk.gif

I'll give you that one. Series was good up until the lame ending.

Still, would like to see the Gaiman/Russell combo on Thor. Did you like "Endless Nights", JC?

How did it end?

But even Gaiman has admitted that his strengths DO NOT lie in the super-hero genre, and I'd rather Marvel gave him some supernatural character to play with.

Right now, his work at Marvel just a spandex-clad paycheck to Gaiman, and it shows.

I'd rather Marvel gave him some supernatural character to play with.

Oooh! Ghost Rider! Just think what Gaiman AND the movie will do to back issues!!!! stooges.gif

You might be onto something though. Be interesting to see what he would do w/ Doc Strange or Mephisto.

But even Gaiman has admitted that his strengths DO NOT lie in the super-hero genre

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but he did quite well with Miracleman. But then again, he had very little established continuity to deal with.....

Jim

But even Gaiman has admitted that his strengths DO NOT lie in the super-hero genre

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but he did quite well with Miracleman. But then again, he had very little established continuity to deal with.....

Jim

But also, by the time Gaiman took over, Moore had already transformed MM and Miracle-family into "gods". I think that the last "super-hero" issue was #15 (when he battled Kid Miracleman), and even that issue was written as a "recounted mythological tale".

BTW - If I haven't mentioned it, MM is probably the best comic series I've ever read. Now, if they will just finish it!!!! 893frustrated.gif

From his website journal:

Neil,

Have you and Marvel either decided or had productive discussions on what your second project with Marvel will be? (Obviously if Marvel has announced nothing you can't reveal what the project will be.)

John Phamlore

---------------------------

Marvel (normally manifesting itself in the person of Joe Quesada) and I have had several discussions. Nothing's been decided yet -- we like a number of possibilities, but in the end it seemed much fairer to everyone for me just to postpone the whole thing until I'm done with ANANSI BOYS, and could give it my full attention, and then start writing it.

(Everything that's been announced as the next Marvel Project on the various comics gossip sites so far hasn't been true.)

On the same topic, Russell siad:

"What a crazy business. Got a call from Nick Lowe at Marvel a couple of days ago. He had just heard from Neil that the -script he was working on for his next Marvel project which I expected in April or May and have been waiting for is being pushed back to late fall (at the earliest) so he can complete his novel. That's understandable of course but it throws me for a loop. After a self imposed five month vacation I find this huge gap in my schedule. So while running around the gym this evening I recalled a conversation a few months back with Scott Allie at Dark Horse about doing a Conan project. Came home, called him up and we talked. He's checking which Robert E. Howard stories fit the schedule and is getting back to me tomorrow. I've wanted to do a Howard adaptation for years so its possible it might happen and soon.

And since everyone in the business seems to know by now (both Bendis and Andreyko asked 'Hows the Thor project coming') yes, its to be, if it happens, (Neil might choose something else), a six issue series that goes back to the original Norse mythology. I was supposed to sort of keep mum about it but when two writers completely unrelated to the project and then Francois from France know about it then I'd say the cats out of the bag."

I take this as good news. Do it big, do it right the first time and it will be one their biggest hits ever. The Destroyer must be in the story line. Can you imagine how cool that would be?

Beta Ray Bill cloud9.gif

I take this as good news. Do it big, do it right the first time and it will be one their biggest hits ever. The Destroyer must be in the story line. Can you imagine how cool that would be?

Beta Ray Bill cloud9.gif

Word.

Beta Ray Bill cloud9.gif

I loved those issues 337-etc, but I'm not totally crazy about Horse face. Still it would be an awesome movie.

Beta Ray Bill cloud9.gif

Word.

27_laughing.gif

Exactly. At the Marvel Avengers Disassembled seminar last Friday, Quesada and Brevoort stated that the regular Thor title is done and that the current Ragnarok arc is for real.

893frustrated.giffrown.gif

What, are they nuts. The Thor series has been pretty awesome and he is my favorite single character. Your telling me their going to drop one of their main characters and not have a series for him? If this is the case Marvel is finished.

Exactly. At the Marvel Avengers Disassembled seminar last Friday, Quesada and Brevoort stated that the regular Thor title is done and that the current Ragnarok arc is for real.

893frustrated.giffrown.gif

What, are they nuts. The Thor series has been pretty awesome and he is my favorite single character. Your telling me their going to drop one of their main characters and not have a series for him? If this is the case Marvel is finished.

That is exactly it, and they were not kidding. The regular title is done. They will continue with Thor:Son of Asgard and another project (name escapes me at the moment), but the Mighty Thor is done.

I was less than thrilled also, as I have enjoyed Jurgens and Oemings run, and it sells better than Iron Man, which will continue (go figure). Just cant figure out Marvel anymore 893frustrated.gif

I just bought the whole frickin Thor run (1-82) in one shot and now they are pulling the plug. I have liked most of the cover art but perhaps if they get away from just showing Thor striking a pose and throw the odd villain on the cover maybe they could generate some additional interest. I know these generic covers makes it easier from Marvel to preview the issues but what a waste of time. They should improve the core characters not tear them down and relaunch them with stupid titles. Where is the sense of loyalty to the original title(s). If they continue to forget where they came from they will loose the loyal readers that have carried them all these years. I had no interest when they started the Spectacular Spider-Man series years ago and even less these days with Ultimate this, FF that, etc, etc. Sons of beayches.

That is exactly it, and they were not kidding. The regular title is done. They will continue with Thor:Son of Asgard and another project (name escapes me at the moment), but the Mighty Thor is done.

I was less than thrilled also, as I have enjoyed Jurgens and Oemings run, and it sells better than Iron Man, which will continue (go figure). Just cant figure out Marvel anymore 893frustrated.gif

I believe this is nothing more than just Marvel's way of restarting a title over again so that they can throw an issue #1 in there hoping for a jumpstart in sales. From looking at their recent history, this nows appears to be the only game that Marvel knows how to play. How pathetically sad. tonofbricks.gif