• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here is my JIM #85 Please grade......

18 posts in this topic

What are you seeing to bring it down that far? The spine is pretty nice with a some spine stress but most of it non-color breaking.

I'm not sure if the wear at the bottom of the cover breaks color (doesn't look like it does).

I see a very light lower right corner crease that breaks color and a long one, that does not.

I'll go 7.0 and probably could get an 8.0 after a professional pressing job. thumbsup2.gif

What are you seeing to bring it down that far? The spine is pretty nice with a some spine stress but most of it non-color breaking.

I'm not sure if the wear at the bottom of the cover breaks color (doesn't look like it does).

I see a very light lower right corner crease that breaks color and a long one, that does not.

I'll go 7.0 and probably could get an 8.0 after a professional pressing job. thumbsup2.gif

Ditto.

You know, I just saw the bottom edge crease across Thor's cape that I missed upon a quick first glance. 6.5 because of this light crease, but could be pressed to 7.5 or so.

What about the 10 or 12 spine creases? sumo.gif (that are pretty well hidden by the gray background). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Not to mention the edge wear and the two corner creases to the LRFC (allthough I just did mention them.) insane.gif

I see the stress lines, but I've seen lots of 8.0 books with 10 clear spine stress lines. Plus, remember that HOW MANY is not the only factor in the grade. HOW PROMINENT they are, is also a major factor and none look that drastic.

I also look at a FINE or lower book as having at least on SIGNIFICANT defect, be it reading creases or long, think corner creases. This book has very light defects around the edges and a lot of those are non-color breaking.

Just my opinion.

I just remembered that JIM 83 that got a 8.0 in the Silver Age forum.

Given that, this one could get a 7.0. sign-rantpost.gif

Are they easy on JIMS?

For real:

I could see this grading a 5.5 and maybe even a full 6.0 but that's about it.

Too much spine stress and non-color braking creases (see the bottom right corner for two, and the center bottom on Thor's leg and privates for anothe big one) for F+ and up IMHO.

My grade of 5.0 was for the structure alone, but it definitly has the eye appeal of a full Fine.

i think that 2 inch color breaking crease that goes through the bottom of thor's cape and through his thigh, is significant enough when coupled with the spine creases and non color breaking creases, to take this down to a 6.0. but, based on my record, you wouldn't want to bet the bank on it...... grin.gif

think that 2 inch color breaking crease that goes through the bottom of thor's cape and through his thigh, is significant enough when coupled with the spine creases and non color breaking creases, to take this down to a 6.0. but, based on my record, you wouldn't want to bet the bank on it......

I see your point and you might very well be correct. I would expect CGC to be a touch easier on this book because it's from 1962 (I think).

But you would have to admit, this would be one FINE book to own as it doesn't have alot of significant color breaking creases.

In other, it has very nice EYE APPEAL for a FINE book.