• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February Heritage Auctions (holy cow)!

107 posts in this topic

Now that's something. Legendary cover, a real classic that has the potential to set some records.

That being said, when I showed my wife the cover and told her it might go for $500k, or even higher, she just shook her head and said, "All that for a drawing of Spider-Man's ? I'll never understand this hobby of yours."

Guess I won't be selling the house after all...

I don't give a . The story is important, sure. But that's a so-so cover artistically. 122 is lots better. Basically, I'm happy that the market is driven by story content, so I can shop for good art within a reasonable budget, sometimes.

you know its funny, I don't really care for it either personally but for the exact opposite reasons. Azz shot notwithstanding I like the cover artistically but could care less for the story (I'm not big on death issues to start with so spidey's GF dying gets a big who cares from me). 129 would be the one from that era that I would love but everyone's mileage will vary. Will be a very interesting auction to watch regardless

True that! My guess: nowhere near the absurd McSpidey cover (#328? whatever, the one with the Hulk). Like, maybe half?

Strongly disagree. This is huge. The question I'd love to see answered is which would sell for more: ASM 121 or ASM 122? Art vs. Nostalgia? I think Stacy's death vs. an (eventually) retconned Goblin "death" is worth more- looking back, this might be the most tragic story in all of comics to that point. The results of 122 went away. 121 has not, and it changed the hero forever.

I'll take art over nostalgia so ASM 122 is the better cover in my opinion.

With that said, whether the story was retconned or not, for those that remember when the original story arc came out, it's still nostalgic. As such ASM 122 wins artistically and nostalgically.

The ASM 121 cover is still a very nice cover that is going to do well in the auction. Best wishes to the seller.

Cheers!

N

btw - Happy Turkey Day everyone.

If you ever wanted proof that unmanipulated free markets work, just look at what the nutty McSpidey prices have provoked in terms of a supply response (in both the November HA and CLink sales and the upcoming February HA sale already). Prices are a signaling mechanism, and they are signaling "sell your McSpideys while they getting is still good". Anyone who isn't wedded to their McSpideys for the duration must be thinking this, especially after seeing DKR prices soar and then soften as high prices brought out new supply.

The same could be said of other high-priced OA. People have sat on A/A+ examples for years waiting for prices like this. If you see something like that Kirby X-Men #9 2/3rds splash sell for $77.8K (IMO and many others' as well, a nice piece, but not at that price), and you own a better cover or splash, why wouldn't you roll the dice now and see what you could get in a fevered auction environment (not like these prices are prevailing in private sales from consensus accounts).

Be prepared to see some big, significant pieces that you thought might never be for sale change hands over the next year, starting with the February auction cycle. The potential prices on those kind of pieces has finally reached life-changing levels for some of their owners (who are also older and have different priorities than they might have had 10 years ago as well). It will happen. You won't have long to wait to see it. hm

I don't understand how ASM 121 and ASM 122 would be art vs. Nostalgia? They are both are Nostalgic. They came out a month a part. The Norman Goblin did remain dead for almost 25 years. That legacy there is very nostalgic. Aside from bringing Norman back it's not like you can say they didn't mess with Gwen either with their horrible retcons of the past 15 years. Gwen and Norman affair? Plus not like Gwen Stacey wasn't brought back as a clone. Sure you can make that argument that her death changed Spidey forever...but so did Uncle Ben's death. Granted he was only in one issue and not a reoccurring character when offed. Captain Stacey was also off.

Norman's death also had a long lasting effect on Spider-Man. His long time buddy Harry found out that Spider-Man was Parker and would go on to become the Green Goblin for nearly 2 decades. I find it very hard to believe that Norman's death wasn't nostalgic for many of you old timers. Whether it be off the rack or reading the issue during your Hobgoblin or McSpidey days. I don't hear many of you guys mention much about the stories once we get to the second clone years...so how much stock do you really put into comics once Norman even came back? Perhaps the nostalgia factor just hasn't quite kicked in yet because we aren't at the 20 year mark...Yeah that's it. Maximum Cloneage is gonna be hot in a few years.

I don't know if it holds true still but I always remember ASM 122 being a higher price book than 121. I never even bothered to own a 121. For me any time you have a villain on a cover it's usually going to be a more dynamic cover.

If you ever wanted proof that unmanipulated free markets work, just look at what the nutty McSpidey prices have provoked in terms of a supply response (in both the November HA and CLink sales and the upcoming February HA sale already). Prices are a signaling mechanism, and they are signaling "sell your McSpideys while they getting is still good". Anyone who isn't wedded to their McSpideys for the duration must be thinking this, especially after seeing DKR prices soar and then soften as high prices brought out new supply.

The same could be said of other high-priced OA. People have sat on A/A+ examples for years waiting for prices like this. If you see something like that Kirby X-Men #9 2/3rds splash sell for $77.8K (IMO and many others' as well, a nice piece, but not at that price), and you own a better cover or splash, why wouldn't you roll the dice now and see what you could get in a fevered auction environment (not like these prices are prevailing in private sales from consensus accounts).

Be prepared to see some big, significant pieces that you thought might never be for sale change hands over the next year, starting with the February auction cycle. The potential prices on those kind of pieces has finally reached life-changing levels for some of their owners (who are also older and have different priorities than they might have had 10 years ago as well). It will happen. You won't have long to wait to see it. hm

This is certainly the most McSpidey art we have seen at auction in one calendar year, so I think this might be a great time to be a buyer, but I don't know how much material is really coming out of the woodwork to capitalize on recent sales prices. The main pieces in the February auction are again from the Shamus collection. Which great examples have come to market lately that are *not* from the Shamus collection? Spider-Man #8 obviously came to market to capitalize on recent prices, but no one would ever accuse that cover of being great (or even good). Spider-Man 4 is the only one I can think of that fits this criteria.

I have always viewed ASM 121 and 122 as a defacto pair, part of the same story with two major events. Even though the GG death was eventually ret-conned, it did stand for quite some time, and an entire generation grew up around these two seminal issues.

I think 121 might be the very definition of "iconic". And...I think it might be more instantly recognizable to some than 122, as the cover packs more emotional punch and engages the viewer on a different level than 122. That being said, given a choice (and the necessary funds), I would much rather have 122. I have always loved GG, and it's a dynamic action shot featuring Spidey, Gwen, and GG. Classic. I would be very interested to see how these two covers would perform side-by-side in the same auction, but I would bet on 122 being the high performer of the two.

And I still expect 121 to approach 500k all on its own.