• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brick-n-Mortar shopkeeps heed my call....

27 posts in this topic

Just face the facts. Unfortunately todays kids are not interested in comics. It is sad, but true.

True to a point, but with the recent Hero Movies coming, I see more and more kids in the cinema, who knows to where that will lead confused-smiley-013.gif

just us old ers left then agh...the memories

This is why I don't understand the change to the ULTIMATE books and other newer changes in comics. If its all old buyers out there, why kill off what they want? Why kill off an original series? Why change a superheroes identity? Why try and bring back an old hero group that is way different than what they were long ago? Thought balloons? Slick paper? All the BS. Just give us old comic buyers what we want. Change it back to the old comic ways. It doesn't seem what is out now is bringing in sworms of new young readers anyway. The movies and TV shows help somewhat. But nothing extreme. Kids today just have to many other things to be involved in. Comics isn't one of them.

JC is my idol. A crusty sour idol , but an idol none-the-less.

Ph3Ar the hulk 181 hoard! devil.gif

PLEASE pick another idol! 893frustrated.gif

hmmm, how 'bout Greggy???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is why I don't understand the change to the ULTIMATE books and other newer changes in comics. If its all old buyers out there, why kill off what they want? Why kill off an original series? Why change a superheroes identity? Why try and bring back an old hero group that is way different than what they were long ago? Thought balloons? Slick paper? All the BS. Just give us old comic buyers what we want. Change it back to the old comic ways. It doesn't seem what is out now is bringing in sworms of new young readers anyway. The movies and TV shows help somewhat. But nothing extreme. Kids today just have to many other things to be involved in. Comics isn't one of them.

I recently suggested USM to a group of (late 20 something early 30 something) friends who all departed comics as many did in the early to mid 90s. Those who took my suggestion loved it, bought up the 4 HCs, then the Ultimates TPB, and Ultimate X-men. One is planning on taking advantage of TalesOfWonder's first 3 USM HCs for $40 deal as xmas presents for all the kids in his extended family. His 10 year old daughter is itchin to read the USMs.

I think the cost has quite a bit to do with the slowly dimishing group of comic buyers. $3 for 15 minutes of entertainment is damn expensive when trended out to cover a desire to be entertained by them for an hour a day. There are 39 comics in that 3 HC for $40 deal. $1 a book and people from OUTSIDE comics are interested in peeking inside long enough to take advantage of the deal. Its too bad that sort of cost benefit is temporary, a one-time thing.

An example of what kids are doing instead of read comics nowadays would be on-line gaming. Kids are playing them by the thousands. Hell, I played one for 3 years. The $.08 an hour it worked out to, for some serious, high-tech fun beats the [!@#%^&^] out of $12 an hour. Thankfully I could afford both, or I too would have dropped out for cash savings alone.

I was going to say people 12-18 buy comics still???

They may be in the store, but they are more likely to be buying stuff like YuGiOh cards than comic books. frown.gif

didn't read about a kid spending $1,500 for a book here?????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1 kid does not the future of a hobby make. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

no but it doesn't hurt confused-smiley-013.gif

It does in fact hurt if the book in question is a Wizard First special in 10.0

I was going to say people 12-18 buy comics still???

They may be in the store, but they are more likely to be buying stuff like YuGiOh cards than comic books. frown.gif

didn't read about a kid spending $1,500 for a book here?????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1 kid does not the future of a hobby make. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

no but it doesn't hurt confused-smiley-013.gif

It does in fact hurt if the book in question is a Wizard First special in 10.0

confused.gif