• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong Cover Misprint? Ripley's #1 Cover on a Boris Karloff #10..

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I bought, what I though was a Ripley's Believe it or Not #1 but found it that it's just the cover, the interior is a Boris Karloff's Tales of Mystery #10. They were both printed the same month.

Anyway, the book is in terrible shape, but is still attached at one staple, so I know the covers weren't switched. From what I understand, Gold Key had a number of printer errors back then (double stories, etc..) and wonder how common this sort of thing is.

Honestly, the only reason I looked was because the old label on the bag said it was a #10, but I recognized the cover as a Ripley's #1. I figured the previous owner added a zero, so I looked at the indicia. Makes me wonder how many other books are like this...

Hello all,

I bought, what I though was a Ripley's Believe it or Not #1 but found it that it's just the cover, the interior is a Boris Karloff's Tales of Mystery #10. They were both printed the same month.

Anyway, the book is in terrible shape, but is still attached at one staple, so I know the covers weren't switched. From what I understand, Gold Key had a number of printer errors back then (double stories, etc..) and wonder how common this sort of thing is.

Honestly, the only reason I looked was because the old label on the bag said it was a #10, but I recognized the cover as a Ripley's #1. I figured the previous owner added a zero, so I looked at the indicia. Makes me wonder how many other books are like this...

I wonder what the label would look like if you submitted it to CGC? hm

I returned my book to the seller. He sent it to CGC and they didn't notice the wrong interior either.

That's hilarious, )and also answers the previous question about what the CGC Label would look like). When in doubt, go with the cover.

I can now propel enjoy (gazing upon) my Ripley's #1

I have one of those misprints up on eBay right now (ends 8/11/2013). This link will get you there and it is the sixth auction down - it is part of a Ripley lot but that book was in it. So part of my auction description is bogus because I failed to realize the first three issues of Ripley's are the "True Ghost Stories" (first two) and then "True War Stories" before it starts with #4 in 1967.

Got to believe that if you have one and I have one that there are others out there as well.