• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age Collectors

34 posts in this topic

Are there many Bronze age collectors out there. I started collecting Spiderman books from the seventies and wound up over the years collecting #1's & keys from the 70's. I think it is still a very undervalued comic time ( except for the usuall suspects, Xmen 94 Giant size 1, Hulk 181, ASM 129 , Marvel Spotlight 5)

I collect some silver and modern but 85% of my collection is bronze age and I feel it will just get more expensive as people such as me who were kids in the 70's start looking for some of the books and are now in there mid thirties to early 40's like me (37).

In the 80's i could have bought silver keys for cheap and look at them now.

I remember seeing an xmen # 1 ( looked vf ) in a store for around $600 back in like $85

Now it would be $16,000

I know 60's is scarcer but demand is demand .

Just my opinion.

Are there many Bronze age collectors out there.

hi.gif

A few Silver and a few Modern, but I'm almost exclusively a Bronze collector.

acclaim.gif

I collect what I grew up with.

I personally feel that the Bronze age had the best covers. A litttle before the BA began around 1968 the covers really started to progress and they were just awsome during the middle of the BA. A lot of the books in the 80's were just kind of blah and in the 1990's every hero seemed to have injected themselves with synthol and steroids. Now with artists like Liefeld still working they are even worse. X-Force 1. foreheadslap.gif At least in the 70's the artists still had a grasp on what human anatomy should look like, and so many covers just look sharp.

Im not sure if a VF xmen # 1 goes for $16,000 . It is in the guide for around $6000

i think if a 8.5 or 9.0 were on Ebay they may get around $10,000 . I misspoke when I stated $16,000 , sorry

I still think that a $600 book that is now going for 6-8K is pretty good.

I love the bronze age, these books are 30 years old and i also think the best covers.

I think I have every #1 from Marvel & dc from that time period .

Most of the keys also but I still go to shows and Ebay and find something that I didnt know existed.

Went to the NY show and found a VF copy if Trigger Twins # 1( marvel Western) for $15

Never heard of it . But a nice book.

Only asking because I see a lot of activity on the Golden, Silver & modern age boards but when i click on the Bronze age there usually arent any new threads.

I figured I would ask and make a new thread.

I'm a pre-code horror collector but the Bronze, especially DC, are really getting to me and I have been pickjing some up. Am surprised, as I read them, that many of the sotries are pretty much on par, horror wise, with the precodes.

Only asking because I see a lot of activity on the Golden, Silver & modern age boards but when i click on the Bronze age there usually arent any new threads.

That's because most of the people on here don't bother to post correctly. They only post in the Comic General forum, because "more people will see it" They don't bother to catagorize their posts.

That's because most of the people on here don't bother to post correctly. They only post in the Comic General forum, because "more people will see it" They don't bother to catagorize their posts.

Yeah! Danged hippies!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember seeing an xmen # 1 ( looked vf ) in a store for around $600 back in like $85

Now it would be $16,000

Do VF XM 1's really go for 16K? confused.gif

He has been surfing Mile High's website I guess. gossip.gif

I am now a 100% BA collector.

DCs are my main goal with 100 pagers first and now i am starting to consider getting a few raw runs of HOM, HOS and Ghosts together.

I have to say that i think BA has far superior covers than the other ages.

I checked mile high and they have a FIne for $7,000 so i guess a VF would go for more than 10K on there site

On comic link they have a 9.4 going for $57K and a 9.6 going for $110K

Some prices for a book that in the mid 80's i could have gotten for $600 and that book as i said looked VF but could have been better , i didnt really take notice back then for defects but it looked like a great copy .

Its already starting with some of the keys like GS xmen 1 going for around a Grand in NM , Hulk and hulk 181 9.6 on comic link selling for $4K

I bought these books mid 90's for $25 & $35 in what was VF at the time but now would only be 7.5 or 8.0

Not all books will jump like that but i figure by the time these books are 40 years old they will all see increases and the next age will be taking off in values .

I think its the Chrome age? or something like that .

A copy of Amazing Spiderman 300 (1st Venom) will be the big book of the era.

Already a copy of that will go for $200 in 9.4 . A 9.6 i belive sold for $1000

Not that I am a speculator but I collect venom/Spiderman stuff and i bought a few copies . 2 raw and 2 CGC 8.5 & 9.4 had the raw ones for over 10 years .

ALso have 4 copies of Venom # 1 Gold 3 raw and one CGC 9.4

Have been looking for a copy of Venom Black but no luck yet .

Only modern book i have really .

I checked mile high and they have a FIne for $7,000 so i guess a VF would go for more than 10K on there site

On comic link they have a 9.4 going for $57K and a 9.6 going for $110K

Some prices for a book that in the mid 80's i could have gotten for $600 and that book as i said looked VF but could have been better , i didnt really take notice back then for defects but it looked like a great copy .

Its already starting with some of the keys like GS xmen 1 going for around a Grand in NM , Hulk and hulk 181 9.6 on comic link selling for $4K

I bought these books mid 90's for $25 & $35 in what was VF at the time but now would only be 7.5 or 8.0

Not all books will jump like that but i figure by the time these books are 40 years old they will all see increases and the next age will be taking off in values .

I think its the Chrome age? or something like that .

A copy of Amazing Spiderman 300 (1st Venom) will be the big book of the era.

Already a copy of that will go for $200 in 9.4 . A 9.6 i belive sold for $1000

Not that I am a speculator but I collect venom/Spiderman stuff and i bought a few copies . 2 raw and 2 CGC 8.5 & 9.4 had the raw ones for over 10 years .

ALso have 4 copies of Venom # 1 Gold 3 raw and one CGC 9.4

Have been looking for a copy of Venom Black but no luck yet .

Only modern book i have really .

I think that books like GS X-men 1 and Hulk 181 should cool down. Have you seen the census for GS X-Men 1 it is suprising.

Of course the highest graded ones will always get noticed and realize huge prices.

Be careful when extrapolating past performance, especially when the conditions (low entry price, hordes of fanatical young readers joining, higher attrition rate) for these rampant price increases have not existed for decades.

Just a thought. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think for books from 85 on it will just be a few books like ASM 300 or first Carnage or TMNT 1 . I dont think there will be very many $500 or over books except a very few but prices will rise for the keys. Ofcouse 9.6 and better will go for alot as I see on Ebay already , seeing Ultimate FF # 1 9.9 i think went for over $500 .

I guess if its 9.4 or higher from the modern era it will have a value.

I digress back to the original topic and I think Bronze personally is full of very inexpensive threasures that will not stay that way for ever .

I could be wrong and usually I am.

I digress back to the original topic and I think Bronze personally is full of very inexpensive threasures that will not stay that way for ever .

I could be wrong and usually I am.

Actually you're right... if this was 1995. 27_laughing.gif

there's a lot of good bronze material that can be had for cheap (especially if you're not looking for super high grade) and can be had for around guide and usually less.

the notable bronze age books like hulk 181, GS #1, HOS #92, X-Men 94 and the like are at such high levels right now, they can hardly be considered "bargains" at all... especially bronze age books are around in quantity (some even in high grade and slabbed).

But there's other great stuff out there from the 70s that is still cheap in high grade like Master of Kung Fu, Iron Fist (all except 14), Justice League of America, Tomb of Dracula (except #1 and #10, most of these are still cheap), Iron Man (the late 70s especially), Avengers (from the Perez/Byrne small stints) just to name a few...

I actually like the Bronze Age better than the Silver in many respects, as I feel the artwork was at its zenith during this time.