• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did you collect before comics?

82 posts in this topic

I collect whatever recreates my childhood.

For instance...

Action figures...Micronauts,Battlestar Glactica,Dune,StarTrek Mego

Its all about nostalgia

I'd like to collect Old Girl Friends,....at least a few anyway! 27_laughing.gif

As for my sister , she actually expected to hoard them.. and rake in the cash 20 years from now, and now sadly , they are dog toys .... sorry.gif

Now this will be a great quote to save for 20 years, and then drop back in on the "investors" on here. 27_laughing.gif

Give them 20-30 years and the kids that grew up during this craze will be buying them again, since they have money to burn.

No different than any of us buying comics that we grew up reading.

Hell, look at Valiant Comics!

Who'da thunk it?

gossip.gif

As for my sister , she actually expected to hoard them.. and rake in the cash 20 years from now, and now sadly , they are dog toys .... sorry.gif

Now this will be a great quote to save for 20 years, and then drop back in on the "investors" on here. 27_laughing.gif

Please dont tell me you are not comparing a Silver winged Beanie Baby Sparkle Unicorn,

to the staying power of a ASM #1 in terms of long term investment collectibility?

Ohh never mind.. I know where this is going...

Z

Also, on a more specific note, a "true collectgor" is far more interested in that which they collect. NOT in the short or long term value of the item. If they are, then they are collector/investors.

I think you're just trying to goad me into a fight. 893frustrated.gif

This isn't rocket science. I collect purely out of nostalgia, but if you were to lay down thousands on a comic book, you'd have ot be a brain dead toad not to understand that this $10K could go towards a trip, a plasma TV, an RV, retirement savings, or any other manner of good or service.

I realize this, and I accept that my money is sunk and gone forever.

If I was in comics for the money, I wouldn't be in it, it's as simple as that. It's an over-hyped, over-blown, over-valued bubble just waiting to get popped, but even in the face of such bull- 893censored-thumb.gif, I'm still in there buying and collecting.

But hey, I realize that my collecting methods are unpopular here, in the House that Slabs Built, and it's difficult for some to separate the almighty dollar from their comic books.

That's the difference. I have performed that separation, and if my entire collection burned in a fire, I wouldn't even have a rough idea on how much money they were worth, only what books I lost.

Please dont tell me you are not comparing a Silver winged Beanie Baby Sparkle Unicorn,

to the staying power of a ASM #1 in terms of long term investment collectibility?

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

548522-charmer.gif.e73ef704b1e1e0c558ff75fa79188707.gif

Also, on a more specific note, a "true collectgor" is far more interested in that which they collect. NOT in the short or long term value of the item. If they are, then they are collector/investors.

I think you're just trying to goad me into a fight. 893frustrated.gif

This isn't rocket science. I collect purely out of nostalgia, but if you were to lay down thousands on a comic book, you'd have ot be a brain dead toad not to understand that this $10K could go towards a trip, a plasma TV, an RV, retirement savings, or any other manner of good or service.

I realize this, and I accept that my money is sunk and gone forever.

If I was in comics for the money, I wouldn't be in it, it's as simple as that. It's an over-hyped, over-blown, over-valued bubble just waiting to get popped, but even in the face of such bull- 893censored-thumb.gif, I'm still in there buying and collecting.

But hey, I realize that my collecting methods are unpopular here, in the House that Slabs Built, and it's difficult for some to separate the almighty dollar from their comic books.

That's the difference. I have performed that separation, and if my entire collection burned in a fire, I wouldn't even have a rough idea on how much money they were worth, only what books I lost.

words to live by thumbsup2.gif

Please dont tell me you are not comparing a Silver winged Beanie Baby Sparkle Unicorn, to the staying power of a ASM #1 in terms of long term investment collectibility?

It always amuses me when faced with dissenting opinions, the hardcore comic book investor always falls back into comparing apples to oranges.

"Now you're really saying that a Fleer Limited Vince Carter rookie is the same as an Action Comics #1?"

Listen up: NO!!!!!!

But there are thousands of other comics that are currently selling for 50-100X+ their value in 1999, that I could easily draw the comparison to.

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

And to think , I just made that up as an example..

But wha..laah...POOF.. it does exist..

But I did ask for Silver Wings... sorry.gif

Too funny

Z

I think you're just trying to goad me into a fight.

Nope. Absolutely not. The concepts in this thread are more important to me than goading. Now am I saying collectors have no idea of value? Absolutely not. Such is part and parcel of being a collector. Knowing what you are buying and how much is fair to pay.

but if you were to lay down thousands on a comic book, you'd have ot be a brain dead toad not to understand that this $10K could go towards a trip, a plasma TV, an RV, retirement savings, or any other manner of good or service.

I think this is the thorn. As I said, collectors have a good idea of value (or they should or else they are not really collectors but accumulators). It is their choice that this comic book could also buy a plasma TV. And they have chosen: either the tv or the comic.Boith choices are correct, based on the feelings of the individual.

Noiw I know you have been predicting the crash and overall, I tend to agree that at the least, a "levelling" HAS to occur based on prices being paid for many books that are both fairly common and also seen as "hot".

So I guess the bottom line, to my perception, is as follows:

One can sell their collection when they percieve the time is right to either make back what they have invested or make a profit, or even a lesser loss, anticipating a crash. The question is, what will the person do after said crash occurs? Will they buy back their collection at a fraction? If so, and they are right about the books they have sold and bought back, I still consider that person a collector. You know I mainly collect pre-code horror. I doubt, as we have discussed, these books will be overly impacted by a crash. They are often cheap enough even now.

But I guess what I have noticed about you, JC, is that I have seen a lot about paying stupid money and the crash etc. but not a lot about what you will be doing AFTER the crash. You seem to be skewed far more towards the dollar and the present near future economics than the book themselves. confused-smiley-013.gif

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

And to think , I just made that up as an example..

But wha..laah...POOF.. it does exist..

But I did ask for Silver Wings... sorry.gif

Too funny

Z

How much for the Little Horse,.....? 27_laughing.gif

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd say this is anywhere between 9.4 and 9.6... send this baby to CGC to be graded! Then flip it on ebay for $1000s

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd say this is anywhere between 9.4 and 9.6... send this baby to CGC to be graded! Then flip it on ebay for $1000s

I'd say you were being a tad to generous on your grading eddly!

Check out that pulled stitch on the left back leg and also the spine roll!

An 8.5 at best! 893naughty-thumb.gif

news.gif This just in: Bill Gates has stopped collecting Bronze Age Horror Comics and has now set his eye on collectijng Beanie Baby little horses; FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO COLLECT! He again suggested collecting old versions of Windows95: he feels these will be "all the rave" soon! 27_laughing.gif

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd say you were being a tad to generous on your grading eddly!

Check out that pulled stitch on the left back leg and also the spine roll!

An 8.5 at best! 893naughty-thumb.gif

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif