• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did you collect before comics?

82 posts in this topic

As for my sister , she actually expected to hoard them.. and rake in the cash 20 years from now, and now sadly , they are dog toys .... sorry.gif

Now this will be a great quote to save for 20 years, and then drop back in on the "investors" on here. 27_laughing.gif

Please dont tell me you are not comparing a Silver winged Beanie Baby Sparkle Unicorn,

to the staying power of a ASM #1 in terms of long term investment collectibility?

Ohh never mind.. I know where this is going...

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd say this is anywhere between 9.4 and 9.6... send this baby to CGC to be graded! Then flip it on ebay for $1000s

I'd say you were being a tad to generous on your grading eddly!

Check out that pulled stitch on the left back leg and also the spine roll!

An 8.5 at best! 893naughty-thumb.gif

is that restoration that I'm noticing on the back left leg? Also, I think the pic has been photoshopped... isn't anything sacred?!?! 893frustrated.gif

As for my sister , she actually expected to hoard them.. and rake in the cash 20 years from now, and now sadly , they are dog toys .... sorry.gif

Now this will be a great quote to save for 20 years, and then drop back in on the "investors" on here. 27_laughing.gif

Please dont tell me you are not comparing a Silver winged Beanie Baby Sparkle Unicorn,

to the staying power of a ASM #1 in terms of long term investment collectibility?

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd say this is anywhere between 9.4 and 9.6... send this baby to CGC to be graded! Then flip it on ebay for $1000s

YOU MUST BE 893censored-thumb.gif ME! THAT BABY"S A 10!

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I'd say you were being a tad to generous on your grading eddly!

Check out that pulled stitch on the left back leg and also the spine roll!

An 8.5 at best! 893naughty-thumb.gif

is that restoration that I'm noticing on the back left leg? Also, I think the pic has been photoshopped... isn't anything sacred?!?! 893frustrated.gif

Nope,.. it's just Toe-Nail Fungus. Still at least a 9.0 though! thumbsup2.gif

Please dont tell me you are not comparing a Silver winged Beanie Baby Sparkle Unicorn, to the staying power of a ASM #1 in terms of long term investment collectibility?

It always amuses me when faced with dissenting opinions, the hardcore comic book investor always falls back into comparing apples to oranges.

"Now you're really saying that a Fleer Limited Vince Carter rookie is the same as an Action Comics #1?"

Listen up: NO!!!!!!

But there are thousands of other comics that are currently selling for 50-100X+ their value in 1999, that I could easily draw the comparison to.

Cmon now JC.. you spoke in generalities .. so I did the same in my response.

No need to break out the different fruit refference.

And I thought you would have known me by now.. I am not a "hardcore comic investor"....just a hardcore comic fan

I cant afford the big stuff.. I just enjoy filling holes in areas I can afford.

Z

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

Ummm... you guys have failed to notice , there is no

"Beanie Baby " tag... on this bad boy..

I remember my sister even had special plastic "snap on covers" for the tags .. to keep them mint..similar to Baseball card holders.

So this horse is only qualified, or App. at best..

Sorry

sorry.gif

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

I remember my sister even had special plastic "snap on covers" for the tags .. to keep them mint..similar to Baseball card holders.

Sorry

sorry.gif

you know a little too much here to pass as a limited intrest 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

Sorry

sorry.gif

you know a little too much here to pass as a limited intrest 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OH MY GOD!!! IT'S THE ULTRA-RARE "MY LITTLE PONY" VARIENT BEANIE BABY!!! MONEY IS NO OBJECT!!!! PM ME AT ONCE!!! (I've seen this on Ebay, where they say it's "rare",...so it must be true! 27_laughing.gif893frustrated.gif

After countless years of Holidays spent at my sisters.. I could not help but learn alot about these fluffy things, as I feigned interest ...she would wax poetic about her newest buy.. or show me her price guide on some freaky little critter she traded for.

And I would grab another beer..

I could relate to her as a fellow collector.. but that was as far as it went.

So I kept my trap shut.. and smiled.

smirk.gif

Z

Z

Mmmmm...tempting!

548522-charmer.gif

27_laughing.gif

Sorry

sorry.gif

OH MY GOD!!! IT'S THE ULTRA-RARE "MY LITTLE PONY" VARIENT BEANIE BABY!!! MONEY IS NO OBJECT!!!! PM ME AT ONCE!!! (I've seen this on Ebay, where they say it's "rare",...so it must be true! 27_laughing.gif893frustrated.gif

BTW: Does your pony have a sister?!? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

After countless years of Holidays spent at my sisters.. I could not help but learn alot about these fluffy things, as I feigned interest ...she would wax poetic about her newest buy.. or show me her price guide on some freaky little critter she traded for.

smirk.gif

Z

"BEER! Is there anything it can't do?" -Homer Simpson 893applaud-thumb.gif

smirk.gif

Z

age differance as i have two younger sisters one is a year younger the other is two

neither showed any interest in comics at all both into taking pictures.

I used to collect first print 60's and 70's vinyl albums and CDs...

I was the biggest music nut around....

Started when I was about 7 when an uncle gave me about 30 Elvis 45's, including two Sun singles !

From the age of 17 I did all kind of after-school jobs so I could fly to New York twice a year just to buy records for three days in a row in the Lower East Side and on St. Mark's place.

About four years ago a fire destroyed most of the apartment where my wife and I lived and we only got a small portion back from the insurance company, I lost more than 7000 record albums and CDs.

I can still recall the smell of 1000's of CDs burned to a crisp and 1000's of vinyl albums lying like melted tar on the floor...

I managed to salvage about 500 of them and haven't bought a single CD or record since.... 893whatthe.gif

Two months after the fire, I needed something to get my sanity back and I started collecting comics....

But I guess what I have noticed about you, JC, is that I have seen a lot about paying stupid money and the crash etc. but not a lot about what you will be doing AFTER the crash.

After? I'll be looking for deals, trying to fill in some runs, and buying Byrne X-men.

You seem to be skewed far more towards the dollar and the present near future economics than the book themselves. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's a natural byproduct of being a collector caught in a speculative environment.

A spec sees double-digit price increases and licks hi slips anticipating even higher prices, while a collector just shakes his head and waits for the inevitable outcome of rampant greed to take form.

As a kids Football, Basketball and Baseball cards ( this was the late 1970s before they were ruined ). Currently my wife and I collect

Holt Howard Pixieware

holt.jpg

Cartoon character glasses

bugsmarv2.JPG

Luray Dishes from the 1940s

wholecupsaucer.GIF

I used to collect first print 60's and 70's vinyl albums and CDs...

I was the biggest music nut around....

Started when I was about 7 when an uncle gave me about 30 Elvis 45's, including two Sun singles !

From the age of 17 I did all kind of after-school jobs so I could fly to New York twice a year just to buy records for three days in a row in the Lower East Side and on St. Mark's place.

About four years ago a fire destroyed most of the apartment where my wife and I lived and we only got a small portion back from the insurance company, I lost more than 7000 record albums and CDs.

I can still recall the smell of 1000's of CDs burned to a crisp and 1000's of vinyl albums lying like melted tar on the floor...

I managed to salvage about 500 of them and haven't bought a single CD or record since.... 893whatthe.gif

Two months after the fire, I needed something to get my sanity back and I started collecting comics....

chromium, I feel for ya bro!

But at least no one was physically hurt. I've often wondered how I would cope in a similar situation about losing my collection. It must of been tough though it appears you came through it fine! And started collecting again! thumbsup2.gif

chromium, I feel for ya bro!

But at least no one was physically hurt. I've often wondered how I would cope in a similar situation about losing my collection. It must of been tough though it appears you came through it fine! And started collecting again! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks man...it was a weird experience...you really go into shock, but mind and soul are resilient, with every passing day it got a little better...

Living with my wife's parents for a month was the hardest part though...

We weren't even allowed back into the apartment to salvage stuff for weeks.

But then once you hit the bottom you can only go up, we started all over, got a lot of help from our families, bought a house and started raising kids.

I really needed something to get me over the fact I lost my collection, so I started collecting comics just to keep busy. Haven't looked back yet, although sometimes it's hard when something comes over the radio and I think "hey I used to have the Japanese limited edition of that album"

I collected Garfield books back when I was in middle school, I think. I collected superhero trading cards for a while back in the 90's, but lost interest and got rid of them.

I now collect/trade bootleg concerts on CD-R, tapes of "old school" pro wrestling, and superhero cartoons on CD-R. Someone was right, nostalgia is a big drive behind a lot of this stuff.