• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

But that's why I don't see the cleaning of a book that does not leave residue as restoration. We may differ here, as this is not a process that can occur in nature...

And unless you live in an exceptionally high-humid climate with wild Dry Mount Press herds sneaking about, pressing isn't either. ;)

I guess the argument is that pressing can't (always) be detected right? (and that a book at the bottom of a stack can be naturally "pressed"?) (shrug)

Even if it always could be detected, that point is moot. CGC doesn't consider it restoration, nor worthy of notation.

So, that should be that.

I'm fine with it. I used to be less fine with it, but now I'm perfectly fine with it.

But that's why I don't see the cleaning of a book that does not leave residue as restoration. We may differ here, as this is not a process that can occur in nature...

And unless you live in an exceptionally high-humid climate with wild Dry Mount Press herds sneaking about, pressing isn't either. ;)

I guess the argument is that pressing can't (always) be detected right? (and that a book at the bottom of a stack can be naturally "pressed"?) (shrug)

But as we discussed earlier, with the right technology pressing probably can be detected.

Unless of course the pressers stop using release paper. Then we would never be able to tell.

ActionComicsWaffle.jpg

Even if it always could be detected, that point is moot. CGC doesn't consider it restoration, nor worthy of notation.

So, that should be that.

I'm fine with it. I used to be less fine with it, but now I'm perfectly fine with it.

That pretty much sums things up for me as well.

Why doesn't anyone ever reference the experiment the CBCA funded where it showed that the hydration from pressing actually increased the hydrogen bonds in the test subject and made the paper less brittle?

Because there was interest for about a day then everyone forgot about it. Not much of an attention span on these boards. Here you go.

A Preliminary Study on the Effects of Pressing on Comic Book Paper

Also, I just want to say that if these results are able to be duplicated, then the implications for conservation would be huge. It could lead to pressing with this result in mind; that is rehydrating brittle books rather than just improving aesthetic appearance. If it could done on pulps too (where brittleness is a major problem) that would be a major deal.

I used Matt a few times, but Joey is quicker, more economical, is great to deal/work with, doesn't come with all the baggage Matt comes with (ebay shilling, etc.,.), and is highly recommended. (thumbs u

But primarily, I'll never use Matt again because CGC buying CI is a direct conflict of interest and I won't support that part of their business. The institutionalization of the pre-processing of comic books to artificially manufacture higher graded copies is bad for the hobby, and while the swelling of the census will make these manufactured 9.4's and 9.6's more affordable, they will be less "special".

I would hate to see the trendline of the % of books received by CGC that have been put through the ringer from 2000 to present....I'm sure it's pretty scary. :eek:

(worship)

This is the thread that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends.

Some people started complaining not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue complaining forever just because.....

This is the thread that never ends.

It goes on and on my friends.

Some people started complaining not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue complaining forever just because.....

Repeat until the number of replies hit at least 1000

Why doesn't anyone ever reference the experiment the CBCA funded where it showed that the hydration from pressing actually increased the hydrogen bonds in the test subject and made the paper less brittle?

Sounds great, as long as CGC isn't the entity doing it and then grading the quality of their own work with respect to grade and presence/absence of restoration, because that would be a conflict of interest. (thumbs u

I guess it all comes down to trust. If Borock or Haspel were still there would you feel the same way? Just curious.

Yep, I'd feel the same if Steve were still there. Haspel is still there as far as I know.

You avoid a conflict of interest not by not having a conflict of interest, but by not having the appearance of a conflict of interest. In this regard, this move = FAIL. :(

Sounds great, as long as CGC isn't the entity doing it and then grading the quality of their own work with respect to grade and presence/absence of restoration, because that would be a conflict of interest. (thumbs u

I guess it all comes down to trust. If Borock or Haspel were still there would you feel the same way? Just curious.

Haspel is still there as far as I know.

Apparently not the case last time I checked. And I totally agree with the rest of your statement.

Haspel is still there as far as I know.

Apparently not the case last time I checked. And I totally agree with the rest of your statement.

Ouch, that's not good. :o

Dose anyone sell a wipe ( like a baby wipe ) for cleaning comic covers ?

:)

Actually, I've always just used a straight-razor. If carefully handled, it not only scrapes off the dust and grit, but also removes that annoying ink placed on the paper by unscrupulous publishers. When I'm done the paper is bright, fresh and white just as it was originally issued.

So your saying use the Mr Clean Magic Eraser ?

Thanks

:)

I would not recommend a Mr Clean Magic Eraser. A good eraser + patience works a lot better.

30832449.jpg

lol! :D

The butthurt crowd better never get into coins, their minds would be blown at all the things done to those round discs in the name of improvement. Nothing new under the sun. Same deal for baseball cards (see "spooned out crease"; somewhat similar to a color-breaking fold in a comic.)

(tsk) Not true. There's a lot of butthurt coin dealers.

.....wait a minute :tonofbricks:

1. Maybe CGC should put the grade the book may have been in prior to being pressed. In their best estimation.

2. I know someone pressing who uses a release paper that has no coating whatsoever.

3. This thread contains more butthurt than RMA's first 26,419 posts combined.

4. None of you have ever been laid.

lol

Nico Esq wants to know why you can't just be nice.

Yeah I'm late ,but that made I larf...

This

Is

The

Greatest

Thread

In

Comic

Generals

History.

Never,in the history of mankind, has so much butthurt been given to so many,by so few.

Gentlemen,I applaud you all.

Carry On.

132340.jpg.0fff77bc12fa00b4e61accd7506c6e9b.jpg

This

Is

The

Greatest

Thread

In

Comic

Generals

History.

Never,in the history of mankind, has so much butthurt been given to so many,by so few.

Gentlemen,I applaud you all.

Carry On.

You should have been here in the Hammer days. This thread is nothing.

Any links kind Sir?

Who is this mysterious Hammer fellow who is frequently mentioned in hushed tones?

Yeah I know - noobs.

Any links kind Sir?

Who is this mysterious Hammer fellow who is frequently mentioned in hushed tones?

Yeah I know - noobs.

Hammer was Dupcake himself. In the cyber-flesh.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be butthurt in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you...

More pressing whining. It amuses me.

This whole thread is hilarious.

CGC will be just fine. The hobby will be just fine. CFP will be just fine. The whole pressing debate has been going on for years and there are far more people that just do not care than people who do.

You live, you die and the wheels on the bus go around and around.

Wasn't there a poll on this board that showed the number of people that don't care was only slightly higher than those that do?

It neglected the tens of thousands of people who buy CGC books everyday, just look at eBay - most people do not care or even know about it.

Any links kind Sir?

Yeah I know - noobs.

Hammer was Dupcake himself. In the cyber-flesh.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be butthurt in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you...

Gotcha - Thanks Dicey

CGC will be just fine. The hobby will be just fine. CFP will be just fine. The whole pressing debate has been going on for years and there are far more people that just do not care than people who do.

Wasn't there a poll on this board that showed the number of people that don't care was only slightly higher than those that do?

It neglected the tens of thousands of people who buy CGC books everyday, just look at eBay - most people do not care or even know about it.

tens of thousands? how come the same four people always win my books...?

tens of thousands? how come the same four people always win my books...?

verily.... ???