• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing/Protecting CGC Graded Books

41 posts in this topic

I suspect the best way to store cgc'd books is sideways with the spine edge down. Horizontally is probably ok too. The edge of the inner wells and gravity aren't always kind to books with overhang or even books without any overhang.

I've heard people say this, but what is the logic on storing them spine down? I bag and board my other books for storage, and they are not stores spine down. Why would CGC books need to be?

You make sense but surely CGC designed the holder to be stored and viewed vertically ?

Do you store all yours sideways spine down ?

I'd like to store all my slabbed books spine down. But I need to reconfigure my shelves first. I'm guessing I'll end up just storing the pre-1970 books that way.

I suspect the best way to store cgc'd books is sideways with the spine edge down. Horizontally is probably ok too. The edge of the inner wells and gravity aren't always kind to books with overhang or even books without any overhang.

I've heard people say this, but what is the logic on storing them spine down? I bag and board my other books for storage, and they are not stores spine down. Why would CGC books need to be?

The CGC inner wells have hard edges that can and have damaged books with overhang on the top or bottom covers. It's probably more of a problem on the bottom cover but I've seen it happen with the top overhang too. When books are stored upright, the weight of the book can push the overhang against the hard edge of the inner well, resulting in a lovely bend or crease.

If a book is stored spine down, the top or bottom overhang isn't pushed against the well and the book is less likely to get damaged by the inner well.

For books without overhang, it's less of a problem. But I think damage can still occur.

The CGC inner wells have hard edges that can and have damaged books with overhang on the top or bottom covers. It's probably more of a problem on the bottom cover but I've seen it happen with the top overhang too. When books are stored upright, the weight of the book can push the overhang against the hard edge of the inner well, resulting in a lovely bend or crease.

If a book is stored spine down, the top or bottom overhang isn't pushed against the well and the book is less likely to get damaged by the inner well.

For books without overhang, it's less of a problem. But I think damage can still occur.

I store all of my slabs upright in plastic or acid-free cardboard boxes.

My suspicion is that the edge damage from the old non-tapered inner wells, happens during shipping and more than likely in the initial shipping from CGC.

I've not seen much evidence of this happening simply from upright storage as, without being shaken, how would there be enough momentum to actually cause a crease ?

My suspicion is that the edge damage from the old non-tapered inner wells, happens during shipping and more than likely in the initial shipping from CGC.

I've not seen much evidence of this happening simply from upright storage as, without being shaken, how would there be enough momentum to actually cause a crease ?

"Bend" might be a more apt description. And I wish you were right. Unfortunately, I own at least one example where I know the bend did not occur during shipping. I had the book slabbed myself. When it arrived from CGC, it was fine. It's a high ticket book, so I definitely looked at it carefully when I unpacked the box. Over time, a bend appeared on the back cover in the bottom overhang. The book has been sitting in the same box ever since it arrived from Sarasota. It's now upside down until I can reconfigure my shelves to store my slabs spine down.

I do it like this.

S5003128.jpg

Sweet setup Kevin. :applause:

We should have our setups stickied,everytime a newbie comes around this question is asked.

I like the look of that set up, but I've been storing mine flat in a barrister bookcase for several years now. Also I put the slabs in mylar as that creates another layer of UV protection. It just seems to me that laying a book flat creates the least amount of stress from gravity.

I do it like this.

S5003128.jpg

We should have our setups stickied,everytime a newbie comes around this question is asked.

I like the look of that set up, but I've been storing mine flat in a barrister bookcase for several years now. Also I put the slabs in mylar as that creates another layer of UV protection. It just seems to me that laying a book flat creates the least amount of stress from gravity.

Thanks guys, this room has the blinds and curtains drawn all the time, no UV at all. :)

Correct. Still sounds familiar hm

"Bend" might be a more apt description. And I wish you were right. Unfortunately, I own at least one example where I know the bend did not occur during shipping. I had the book slabbed myself. When it arrived from CGC, it was fine. It's a high ticket book, so I definitely looked at it carefully when I unpacked the box. Over time, a bend appeared on the back cover in the bottom overhang. The book has been sitting in the same box ever since it arrived from Sarasota. It's now upside down until I can reconfigure my shelves to store my slabs spine down.

Sorry to hear that. Do you have a scan of the damage ?

How are you supposed to even look at it, as I'd imagine the momentum of tipping it upright now is likely to re-inforce the damage ? :ohnoez:

Did CGC not put a wedge in the inner well to hold it in place, I thought they did that for most high end books ?

I do it like this.

S5003128.jpg

IMHO this is the only way to properly store a CGC slab. Every other way can cause damage to either the book or the case.

Actually, he seems to be employing two ways: 1) horizontally (presumably with spines down); and 2) stacked. So, no worries that the slab at the bottom of the stack may develop problems? Just askin'

The slab at the very bottom of the stack should bear the weight fine, with the other slabs atop it, the pressure's evenly applied all around. Even if a crack were to develop (I think the stack would have to be so high, toppling would be the main concern) the comic inside would be OK.

The only negative to stacking flat is lack of easy access to the books on the bottom -- towards that end, I've also rigged a homemade shelf system like a paper file drawer, each slab gets a slot, and you can slide them in and out for viewing as you like. :)

I do it like this.

S5003128.jpg

Thanks guys, this room has the blinds and curtains drawn all the time, no UV at all. :)

Where'd you find the book case with the perfect depth for CGC books? I have a stack of them on a bookshelf but they are not facing out like that.

Looks nice!

Sorry to hear that. Do you have a scan of the damage ?

How are you supposed to even look at it, as I'd imagine the momentum of tipping it upright now is likely to re-inforce the damage ? :ohnoez:

Did CGC not put a wedge in the inner well to hold it in place, I thought they did that for most high end books ?

I don't have easy access to the book right now, but it looks something like this. Less severe, but the same general idea. The book below sold for $18,400, by the way.

slabdamage.jpg