• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most taboo question on the web.

296 posts in this topic

I'm not trying to pounce on anyone, and god knows I like Pat.

To me it's like this:

Some people are ready to gloat how much they earn and others would rather keep it private. Traditionally, it's been a private thing with me. The question I always ask myself is would I want to share that with others publicly first before I ask it of someone else?

It's a personal thing that many people use as a yardstick to judge your value as a person, unfortunately.

If anyone has seen the Woody Allen movie To Rome With Love you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes, I know you can ask around or google what some people make but that's different than posting it on the chat forum of the very company the people are employed by. It takes a lot more effort to do the research and so is usually only done by people who really want/need that info.

Roy you have got to stop crying. The question is legit. No one is judging anybody. None of us are CGC graders. We are just trying to find out what the heck the Salary range is...

gonna agree with this ...

To me it's like this:

Some people are ready to gloat how much they earn and others would rather keep it private. Traditionally, it's been a private thing with me. The question I always ask myself is would I want to share that with others publicly first before I ask it of someone else?

It's a personal thing that many people use as a yardstick to judge your value as a person, unfortunately.

If anyone has seen the Woody Allen movie To Rome With Love you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yes, I know you can ask around or google what some people make but that's different than posting it on the chat forum of the very company the people are employed by. It takes a lot more effort to do the research and so is usually only done by people who really want/need that info.

Interesting take. How much a person makes has never been an issue for me because my salary is public record.

To me it's like this:

Interesting take. How much a person makes has never been an issue for me because my salary is public record.

Yep, same here. NCDPI M scale 13 years experience. Only difference is my coaching supplements arent on there but its close

To me it's like this:

Roy you have got to stop crying. The question is legit. No one is judging anybody. None of us are CGC graders. We are just trying to find out what the heck the Salary range is...

Crying? Why would you say I'm crying?

To me it's just an old fashioned courtesy thing (I've mentioned this before). I personally think it's uncouth to ask someone what they earn.

If the question is legitimate (ie. someone is serious about a job) then there's a legitimate way to ask it (directly).

Like I said, anyone that feels a question like this is free game for this chat forum should have no problem posting their own wage in this thread either.

(shrug)

Again, those are just my opinions. People are free to disagree with me but there are at least a couple (at least who have bothered to post) that do agree with me.

I dont think the question was asked with any malice.

Yeah, I don't think so either.

(thumbs u

How much a person makes has never been an issue for me because my salary is public record.

I'll tell you at least one reason I personally don't like my wage posted publicly.

When I used to work for a car dealership I was one of the top producing technicians in the country. My co-workers never really knew what I earned exactly but they could tell that I would pump the work out.

Well, people are human and they can't help very easily how they feel about some things (and many don't make the effort to moderate that feeling) and money is one of them. I made a few enemies in that place that went out of their way to try to make me look bad.

Not because I ever did or said anything against them but mostly because I simply made more money than them. The fact that I worked twice as hard, came in early, worked through breaks or worked late didn't calculate into the emotional decision to hate me.

Their minds were made up.

They've since started posting wages in meetings at the dealership and the two top earners in the entire shop are the two apprentices that I poured all my efforts into teaching...guys are as honest as the day is long, good human beings and humble...and guess what - the rest of the shop hates them.

BTW, one of those apprentices is now the top Mercedes Benz technician in Canada and is off to Europe to compete in a worldwide competition, representing our country. I'm proud of him!

Money changes the way people think about each other. There's no way to change that. For that reason, I think people and their money are really meant for private conversations.

How much a person makes has never been an issue for me because my salary is public record.

I'll tell you at least one reason I personally don't like my wage posted publicly.

When I used to work for a car dealership I was one of the top producing technicians in the country. My co-workers never really knew what I earned exactly but they could tell that I would pump the work out.

Well, people are human and they can't help very easily how they feel about some things (and many don't make the effort to moderate that feeling) and money is one of them. I made a few enemies in that place that went out of their way to try to make me look bad.

Not because I ever did or said anything against them but mostly because I simply made more money than them. The fact that I worked twice as hard, came in early, worked through breaks or worked late didn't calculate into the emotional decision to hate me.

Their minds were made up.

They've since started posting wages in meetings at the dealership and the two top earners in the entire shop are the two apprentices that I poured all my efforts into teaching...guys are as honest as the day is long, good human beings and humble...and guess what - the rest of the shop hates them.

BTW, one of those apprentices is now the top Mercedes Benz technician in Canada and is off to Europe to compete in a worldwide competition, representing our country. I'm proud of him!

Money changes the way people think about each other. There's no way to change that. For that reason, I think people and their money are really meant for private conversations.

I make tree fiddy an hour. Do you hate me now?

I make tree fiddy an hour. Do you hate me now?

There's very few people I actually hate.

Although was that $3.50 or $350. I might have a better answer after you answer me.

hm

To me it's like this:

Crying? Why would you say I'm crying?

To me it's just an old fashioned courtesy thing (I've mentioned this before). I personally think it's uncouth to ask someone what they earn.

If the question is legitimate (ie. someone is serious about a job) then there's a legitimate way to ask it (directly).

Like I said, anyone that feels a question like this is free game for this chat forum should have no problem posting their own wage in this thread either.

(shrug)

Again, those are just my opinions. People are free to disagree with me but there are at least a couple (at least who have bothered to post) that do agree with me.

I dont think the question was asked with any malice.

Yeah, I don't think so either.

(thumbs u

I may have used the wrong word. It just popped into my head. :foryou: