• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most taboo question on the web.

296 posts in this topic

Bad taste and pointless.

Why is the question offensive? (shrug)

Parade Magazine dedicates an entire issue to 'what people earn', from floor-sweeps to superstars, probably their biggest issue each year.

spotlight-wpe-cover.jpg

Celebrities are open season because they put their lives out there for the world to see. Actor salaries are discussed because many marvel at how much they make. Same with Sports stars.

People grading comics dont need their salary posted on the very board their company sponsors.

I've always thought asking what someone earns is in poor taste. I have never divulged my exact income to those who inquire. It's none of their business.

Like I said, if the OP or anyone is interested in knowing a salary...apply for the job or call the company. It's that easy to find out.

It's not a big deal and i'm not making a stink about it....just saying I think we could do without posting this kind of information.

Bad taste and pointless.

I have yet to hear one person who is interested in knowing what a grader earns list their own wage here first.

What's the big deal?

(shrug)

$18.75/hr

Time x 1.5 after 8 hours daily and 40 hours weekly. Time x 2 after 12 hours daily and 50 hours weekly, always worked out in our favor. Actual hours vary from about 20 per week to about 80 per week. 401k contributions matched 100% up to whatever amount, more than I put in. Plus $1500/year in a separate pension plan and a $500 Christmas bonus. Two weeks paid off, free protective gear (including boots and some tools), $50 a month if no accidents or injuries, and full bennies. Health, dental, vision, life insurance, ect.

Bad taste and pointless.

Parade Magazine dedicates an entire issue to 'what people earn', from floor-sweeps to superstars, probably their biggest issue each year.

spotlight-wpe-cover.jpg

I think a lot of it has to do with companies / corporations not wanting their employees to know what each other makes. They would rather the information be hidden behind a mask of "it's not polite" rather than people getting irritated that person A makes more than person B, even though A is a lazy piece of krap who schmoozes the right people. 2c

In pest control we have several ways to earn money.Regular salary+route revenue+ new customer sales(pest and termite).So every technician gets paid differently,if you hustle like I do you get paid very well,or you can be the guy who just rides along doing nothing but minimum you don't get paid well.

Bad taste and pointless.

I have yet to hear one person who is interested in knowing what a grader earns list their own wage here first.

What's the big deal?

(shrug)

$18.75/hr

Time x 1.5 after 8 hours daily and 40 hours weekly. Time x 2 after 12 hours daily and 50 hours weekly, always worked out in our favor. Actual hours vary from about 20 per week to about 80 per week. 401k contributions matched 100% up to whatever amount, more than I put in. Plus $1500/year in a separate pension plan and a $500 Christmas bonus. Two weeks paid off, free protective gear (including boots and some tools), $50 a month if no accidents or injuries, and full bennies. Health, dental, vision, life insurance, ect.

Are you hiring?

Dang, $74,000.00 :o

Is that a good salary by US standards ?

Well above average. I think average was $42,000 last year.

I'm thinking that nobody is going to get that number though. That's just to entice people, unless you're bringing some real cred to the job.

It is impressive though. Even the $50K is above the national average.

That's not a high wage in Australia. The minimum wage is Nearly $16 P.H. (30k per year) and the average is $69,992 per year.

The minimum wage in the U.S. is laughable really.

I'm thinking that nobody is going to get that number though. That's just to entice people, unless you're bringing some real cred to the job.

That's not a high wage in Australia. The minimum wage is Nearly $16 P.H. (30k per year) and the average is $69,992 per year.

Walmarts fubar our average. :boo:

Believe it or not, even people who want to be liked by everyone irritate the hell out of some people. I wasn't there so I don't know the situation, I was speaking in general and from my personal experience (shrug)

Oh, I know.

I wasn't trying to be liked. I actually didn't need to. I had a lot of people who's company I enjoyed and visa versa, but mostly I was just busy working away while raising a young family.

The reality is that stuff happens when money enters the picture. People change, their perceptions change, their expectations change, their relationships change.

While I'm not disagreeing with you that there can be more than one reason for discontent in the workplace, this really isn't a conversation about that.

It's about how money affects perceptions and people, and it does. There is no question about it.

I got an Internet friend from AUS. He came out for vacation this summer and I showed him around SoCal. He kept remarking how cheap everything is here. He wouldn't even let me pay my own way. We had a blast. He rented a convertible and we were all over the place. I'm not a drinker but I was that weekend lol

I'm with Roy on this,

Foolkiller is too. I just talked to him about it.

Is he some authority on the matter?

Nope. There is no authority on the matter. It's just an opinion.

I got an Internet friend from AUS. He came out for vacation this summer and I showed him around SoCal. He kept remarking how cheap everything is here. He wouldn't even let me pay my own way. We had a blast. He rented a convertible and we were all over the place. I'm not a drinker but I was that weekend lol

Ah yes... Australians don't mind a drink or two lol

Believe it or not, even people who want to be liked by everyone irritate the hell out of some people. (shrug)

I thought this was appropriate:

lol

Heard this quote this morning:

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy

enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

What would income tax be on a USD 74,000 / year salary ?

20%, 30%, 40% ?

25% bracket at the federal level. Most U.S. states also tax income (but TX and FL do not). In my state (PA), the rate is 3.07%. Some cities also tax income. My city's rate is 1% rate.

Bad taste and pointless.

What's the big deal?

(shrug)

Lot's of posters in this thread but nobody is posting their wages.

Why not?

:whistle: