• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought some Swamp Thing comics...

34 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm still pretty new to the boards and am not familiar with a tons of older books yet. I just bought a huge run of Swamp Thing comics for a really low price and don't really know too much about them. Here are the details on the run I picked up.

Everything is F+ to NM-

Swamp thing vol 1

2 copies of #1 , 2, 10-24

Swamp thing vol 2

All issues except for

Swampthing vol 3

1-20

Swamp thing vol 4 missing

Annuals

swamp thing secret files and origins

swamp thing saga 1979 1.00 issue

and dc presents swamp thing superman.

Is anyone here a Swamp Thing Expert that could help me know if I picked up some great stuff? Thanks for any help.

-Sam

Hey everyone, I'm still pretty new to the boards and am not familiar with a tons of older books yet. I just bought a huge run of Swamp Thing comics for a really low price and don't really know too much about them. Here are the details on the run I picked up.

Everything is F+ to NM-

Swamp thing vol 1

2 copies of #1 , 2, 10-24

Bernie Wrightson in 1 2 10. Semi-keys. 11-24 are primarily Nestor Redondo and are ok.

Swamp thing vol 2

All issues except for

1-19 are OK. The missing 20 and 21 are the keys, Alan Moore's first USA comics work. You have a good chunk of Moore's work here, up to #64. After that it is pretty meh IMHO.

Swampthing vol 3

1-20

meh IMHO

Swamp thing vol 4 missing

vol 4 started strong, if I recall. But I lost interest when writer Andy Diggle left. I think 1-5 is most if not all of his run. (thumbs u

Annuals

The missing #2 is the best, :sorry:

swamp thing secret files and origins

swamp thing saga 1979 1.00 issue

Believe this reprints some of the Bernie Wrightson issues you're missing. (thumbs u

and dc presents swamp thing superman.

Alan Moore (thumbs u

Is anyone here a Swamp Thing Expert that could help me know if I picked up some great stuff? Thanks for any help.

-Sam

Alan Moore Swamp Things are some of the best comics ever!

Bernie Wrightson Swamp Things look awesome!

I would still think about that savings account for the kids though, I don't think you struck it rich if that's what you want to know.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I knew I didn't strike it big, but breaking down the keys helps. It was all for about $150 so I don't think it was a bad deal. My buddy loves swamp thing so I might keep a few choice ones and sell him the rest. Thanks again!

@aznfevr - Hey, good to see another Buffalonian here!

Actually, I was born in Buffalo, raised in Lockport & currently reside in North Tonawanda.

Anyhow, it sounds like you got a great deal.

I pretty big on SWAMP THING myself. Going all the way back to his first appearance in that issue of HOUSE OF SECRETS in the early '70s when I was about 10.

I had a full run of Vol.1 among my original collection of 3500 comics, which I began to seriously pursue as a hobby when I was 10 & continued with until I was 18. I had complete or near complete runs of ASM, AVENGERS, DAREDEVIL, X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR & so many more of the time, but I stopped collecting just before entering college & though it would be great to do so with a pocket full of cash by selling all my comics off.

UGH! As you can imagine, it was a huge regret almost right away & I stayed away from comics for the following three decades. Until I became obsessed with collecting again in 2010.

Since then, I've been able to put together a nice little collection of about 2000 books. Part of which is SAGA OF/SWAMP THING Vol.2 of which I need the first ten issues of Alan Moore's run ( #20 - #29 ) to complete it. And, The entire run of the latest incarnation. With the eventual goal of having full runs of every volume.

With Swamp Thing being right behind ASM as my fav titles/characters.

Peace,

Jim

#20 seems to be harder to find than #21 from the 1984 run

#20 is were Moore wraps up Pasko's run and #21 is the start of Moore's amazing run. Most trade's start with the Moore Run at #21 so generally people pick up #20 to fill the gap

if you've never read them i'd say look into finishing the collection and reading it

Not too far from you down I-90... WTTB!

If you could post some scans of the #1's you received from the 1st series that would help. IMHO that's a tough book to find in high grade without any detracting miswrap.

As for the rest, reading the Alan Moore, Bissette, Totleben run is great and a nice collection to have as well.

From what you posted, I would've spent the $150 on that lot as well! :)

Not too far from you down I-90... WTTB!

If you could post some scans of the #1's you received from the 1st series that would help. IMHO that's a tough book to find in high grade without any detracting miswrap.

As for the rest, reading the Alan Moore, Bissette, Totleben run is great and a nice collection to have as well.

From what you posted, I would've spent the $150 on that lot as well! :)

....yep, great buy.....even greater reads. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u