• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Keys

46 posts in this topic

We know one thing for certain. HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF Therefore the modern books today that will be keys in the future 20xx will have the same characteristics of the key silver age and bronze age books of today.

First appearance

Death of:

Some key Variant issues (Platinum issues as an example Retailer (35cent variants were the variants of their day)

Socially significant story that reflects the time period.

First artists work with a company or on a certain book.

Modern books that through the period of time become classic covers.

New comic chararacters whose books started in the Modern age and will still be around 40 years from now with issue 780 etc.

The books above should not have an excessive print run which combined with being a key will appreciate quite nicely.

All Valiant pre unity books.

I agree completly with this! Remember whether or not these books become very desirable/collectable these are KEY points that cannot be denied. I do believe however that there are major keys and minor keys depending on the books/characters popularity at the given time. BradleyX2's comment regarding Superman # 75 is a good example. It is most definetly a key issue IMO. The fact that no one cares about it currently and can be purchased on the cheap does not make any less so.

To add to the list above I would include: A major turning point in a character or title.

Yes the death of superman will be a key. But given the large print run it won't be as valuable as the other keys of it's days. I don't know about Sandman being a key since Sandman and Death have run their course and don't meet the criteria I stated above except for first appearance of Death. Could be a minor key. JC made an interesting point about kids of the furture in regards to video games versus comics and also about history may not repeat itself. I don't see a lot of 12 year olds in the comic stores I visit across the country so will they collect comics being they didn't read any. Interesting though. Does anyone know the average age of the people who attend comic conventions.

To add to the list above I would include: A major turning point in a character or title.

But don't forget these 'events' are becoming less and less important as popular heroes get their histories/ origins changed over and over. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that the way we define keys is going to have the change for the modern era.

Now a first printing of a TPB is a key or the last issue of a comic is a key...Magnus 64 is a key for that comic but only because it is the last one..not because of any of the reasons that anyone has listed so far...I think that the old rules no longer apply...

I think that the way we define keys is going to have the change for the modern era. .I think that the old rules no longer apply...

That's kind of a backwards way of looking at it.

There have been Key Issues since comics first came off the presses, but circa 1990, comics were no longer primarily reading material, kids no longer entered in any real numbers, cover prices skyrocketed, and adults virtually took over.

So instead of saying that the "old rules: we've had since the 30's "no longer apply", wouldn't it be more logical to just say it like it is:

There will never be another Key Issue (as we have defined the term for 50+ years) from a post-1990 comic book.

After all, that's really what you're saying, in a seriously round-about way.

I think that the way we define keys is going to have the change for the modern era. .I think that the old rules no longer apply...

That's kind of a backwards way of looking at it.

There have been Key Issues since comics first came off the presses, but circa 1990, comics were no longer primarily reading material, kids no longer entered in any real numbers, cover prices skyrocketed, and adults virtually took over.

So instead of saying that the "old rules: we've had since the 30's "no longer apply", wouldn't it be more logical to just say it like it is:

There will never be another Key Issue (as we have defined the term for 50+ years) from a post-1990 comic book.

After all, that's really what you're saying, in a seriously round-about way.

Sure I guess that it sorta the same thing. I jsut dont like to use terms like "never" because that just means that the next key that rolls off the press that meets those older rules destroys your statement. I dont really think that you way of saying it is any more straight forward that the way I said it. The rules do need to be changed to reflect how people are collecting. There are still key issues out there, but only key in the way that someone collects. If I am collecting a full run then the hardest issues to get are the keys.

I jsut dont like to use terms like "never" because that just means that the next key that rolls off the press that meets those older rules destroys your statement.

But it is a physical impossibility that such an event happens, as NONE of the critical factors that create a key issue exist. What we view as key issues simply cannot happen in today's environment, and that's a fact.

The only way it could ever "destroy my statement" would be if the current comic book industry imploded and a smaller, low-cost, kid-friendly company started the ball rolling again.

IMO, a collection of modern "keys" would be incomplete without an early Valiant book or two. May I suggest Harbinger 0 pink or 1, Rai 1, 3, or 4, Solar 1 or 10, Magnus 1, 5, or 12, X-0 1 or 4, or the Super Mario Special Edition.

And, the way things look at this moment (hot right now), X-O 0, especially the gold variant, is looking to be a key as the first chromium cover. We are seeing these sell at $200 on ebay, and not just one or two. Don't know if this will hold. Certainly my instincts say it will not. You can stick the non gold version in your collection for $0.25. smile.gif

Some would add Archer and Armstrong 0 gold to the list, as the book that kicked off the variant craze.

Part of the issue comes in whether we associate "key" with "valuable". For most of the silver, gold and bronze age books, this association is generally true.

But in the case of many modern books, this won't necessarily be the case.

Somebody cited Superman 75 (Death Issue) as a key -- I don't think it is. First of all... nothing permanent happened. Superman was "dead" for a year, and then it was discovered that he didn't even actually die... but it is a landmark issue in many ways because it was so heavily publicized -- but I don't consider it a key.

Amazing Spider Man 298, 300 are generally regarded as keys, so's Amazing 238.

Miracleman 15 is a key. Cerebus 1 also. TMNT 1. Crisis On Infiinite Earths 7,8 are keys. Sandman 1 is a key. And there are a whole host of others.

I think of it as being a truly landmark event that had a significant event in it that was more than just part of a storyline (like the Death of Superman).

Amazing Spider Man 298, 300 are generally regarded as keys, so's Amazing 238.

Miracleman 15 is a key. Cerebus 1 also. TMNT 1. Crisis On Infiinite Earths 7,8 are keys. Sandman 1 is a key. And there are a whole host of others.

I agree totally, but these comics are all pre-1990.

good point.

In the 90s though -- and I'm wracking my brains -- let's say we put death of supes in there...

what are other 90s keys? people have named Valiant issues... I think Ultimate Spidey #1 has to go in now as a key... it basically launched the Ultimate Universe.

Bats 497? (if we're including Death of Supes, I think this has to go in the same category).

GL 48-50 (the death of the corps... beginning of Kyle Rayner as GL)

I know this is crazy but... Marvel: Onslaught (only because it led to the Heroes Reborn Universe)

Amazing Spidey #36 (vol. 2) world trade issue, black cover -- don't know if this is a key really -- but under the loosened parameters... maybe.

interesting discussion (valuable vs important; demand some 30 yrs from now, etc.); i generally gravitate toward Indy comics, so i might have never considered the many superhero titles offered up and largely can't disagree. i offer up

Milk and Cheese #1, 1st print (1991; seven printings to date) -- Evan Dorkin

*just preceded early 90's boom

*classic example of Indy (vs Underground; as started by Cerebus et al.)

*latest Census shows two highest copies at 9.4 -- where are the Modern HG??

Strangers In Paradise Vol. 1 #1-3 (1st prt; Antarctic?)

*scarce, scarce, scarce

*most important Modern romance genre comic?

*WILL find it's way into other mediums

Usagi Yojimbo #1; 1st print; Fantagraphics; 1987

*more important than TMNT?

*wow! this is a title with lasting power

Milk and Cheese #1, 1st print (1991; seven printings to date) -- Evan Dorkin

*just preceded early 90's boom

*classic example of Indy (vs Underground; as started by Cerebus et al.)

*latest Census shows two highest copies at 9.4 -- where are the Modern HG??

Strangers In Paradise Vol. 1 #1-3 (1st prt; Antarctic?)

*scarce, scarce, scarce

*most important Modern romance genre comic?

*WILL find it's way into other mediums

Usagi Yojimbo #1; 1st print; Fantagraphics; 1987

*more important than TMNT?

*wow! this is a title with lasting power

Milk and Cheese is wonderful stuff, but I not sure the audience are hard core collectors who will spend big bucks for a first print when it is easy to find a latter print.

As far a Usagi, it DOES have a large following, but the fans are chashing Albedo #2, the first appearance, rather then Fantagraphics #1 which is just a reprint, I believe. Or maybe it is the Summer Special which came out before the #1 that is the reprint. Anyway...

As far a Usagi, it DOES have a large following, but the fans are chacing Albedo #2, the first appearance, rather then Fantagraphics #1 which is just a reprint, I believe. Or maybe it is the Summer Special which came out before the #1 that is the reprint. Anyway...

the one shot summer special is the reprint issue

Speaking as a Usagi fan, yes, I consider Albedo #2 a modern key. The one-shot Summer Special reprints the early Albedo stories, and is the first comic book dedicated to Usagi Yojimbo. The Fantagraphics #1 came out after the Summer Special, but it's been a while, so I'm not sure which story is in it.

Someone around here mentioned MK Daredevil #1 as a future key awhile back. I didn't necessarily agree at the time but am starting to come around as Marvel has more and more gone away from typical superhero adventure comics and increasingly added "realism" to their titles.....

Jim