• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby DPS

57 posts in this topic

Not a lot have come up at auction, so it's hard to say what FMV is for them. For what it's worth I myself haven't seen one sell for over $20K. Yet.

what do you think they are worth though Glen? In light of recent kirby sales 20-30k for a real nice DPS like the one Forman has on his CAF seems downright reasonable, if not charitable:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=268527&GSub=36306

I know you are saying its hard to judge, but best guesses?

Wow. Spectacular spread. If the FF #88 pg 6 single page splash can jump from $22k to $34k in 9 months, then to my mind this should be at least equal in value, if not more. Especially if Kirby Marvel DPSes are as rare as Glen says.

Eh. Ehhh...you know, I'm not sure I'd base anything on how this auction does. It might be totally fine and legit, but I'm really cautious about private bidders and record-high prices 5 days before it ends. If the owner is on this list and all is Jake, more power to you, sir - blame all the jerks who have come before you who make me cautious.

This is a collection of Kirby DPS work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65185095@N00/sets/72157623444242645/with/4610457903/

I don't think it's complete, but it has (apparently) 103 examples.

Thanks for the link. Great to see all of those in one place. Powerful graphic art.

Has a feature about his DPSes ever appeared in the Kirby Collector?

what do you think they are worth though Glen? In light of recent kirby sales 20-30k for a real nice DPS like the one Forman has on his CAF seems downright reasonable, if not charitable:

That is a very nice '70s DPS by Kirby, but, keep in mind that CLink auctioned off two '70s Kirby Cap splashes this year for $8,305 and $10,884, respectively. Also, Albert Moy sold the Kirby Cap #195 cover for a $20K asking price this year, while Bechara's #211 cover has not found a taker at $29,500 all year. I suspect you could also pry loose a cover or two from some CAF owners if you offered up those kinds of numbers. I'm not saying that this particular DPS couldn't be bid up to $30K, but I'd hardly say that would be a charitable price. There are probably a fair amount of Kirby covers from the era that could be had for that kind of scratch.

I really liked the Kirby/Royer Devil Dinosaur DPS that Heritage auctioned off back around 2005 or 2006 IIRC. It went for the low-to-mid $4Ks; I should have bid a little more aggressively on that one. There was another Kirby Dinosaur DPS in the Masters of American Comics exhibition from 5-6 years ago (think Glen owns it) that was very cool as well. If I had to guess, the former DPS is probably a $12-$15K item now; Glen's DPS, because it is so different, is probably worth more than that, but, generally speaking, there aren't going to be many buyers willing to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for Devil Dinosaur and other less popular '70s Kirby characters.

That is a very nice '70s DPS by Kirby, but, keep in mind that CLink auctioned off two '70s Kirby Cap splashes this year for $8,305 and $10,884, respectively.

Offtopic, sorry.. but where can I find the results from CLink auctions?

I don't know if there is a central place; I just look back at my own bidding history which is saved in their system.

Cap, 2001, Black Panther, Devil Dinosaur, you forgot Eternals & Machine Man: I'd call that a ton of remarkable work in about a 4 year span. I think most of those books have one dps.

Its still only say 75 books or so, four year period or not, so youre looking at probably fewer than 100 dps in his marvel canon. Thats not a lot by kirbys standards and youll forgive me but most of them are for relatively weak titles ( cap obviously excepted).

That is a very nice '70s DPS by Kirby, but, keep in mind that CLink auctioned off two '70s Kirby Cap splashes this year for $8,305 and $10,884, respectively. Also, Albert Moy sold the Kirby Cap #195 cover for a $20K asking price this year, while Bechara's #211 cover has not found a taker at $29,500 all year. I suspect you could also pry loose a cover or two from some CAF owners if you offered up those kinds of numbers. I'm not saying that this particular DPS couldn't be bid up to $30K, but I'd hardly say that would be a charitable price. There are probably a fair amount of Kirby covers from the era that could be had for that kind of scratch.

I really liked , is probably worth more than that, but, generally speaking, there aren't going to be many buyers willing to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for Devil Dinosaur and other less popular '70s Kirby characters.

Thanks, good info

Just picked up on this thread, and lo, my piece is being discussed. Thanks for the kind words. Dps's have always been interesting to me. In the past, there value would normally be well below a cover price; they may still be? But, that was part of the attraction for me. Sometimes, visually, they just blow the doors off a cover image. And, they can make quite an impact framed up. I've owned quite a few dps by a number of artists. In fact, the first thing I ever wanted in this hobby all those years ago was a Kirby dps from Cap. I can't imagine selling the one I have now for the price of a cover; in fact, Gene is right. I would rather part with one of my Cap covers for 30k than the splash. I'm not saying the dps is worth anything like that, but I wouldn't even sell it for that because it means so much to me personally. So it sits, framed up, above my desk right on top of Vallejo's Doc Savage painting.

How cool would it be to have a Kirby dps Artist Edition book?

That is a very nice '70s DPS by Kirby, but, keep in mind that CLink auctioned off two '70s Kirby Cap splashes this year for $8,305 and $10,884, respectively.

Offtopic, sorry.. but where can I find the results from CLink auctions?

I don't know if there is a central place; I just look back at my own bidding history which is saved in their system.

That's my solution, too. If it's an item that I want to refer to in the future, I'll put a small placeholder bid on it - even if I have no intention of bidding further on it. That way it stays in my bid history indefinitely, and I can see the final hammer price.

Not sure if you can do the same thing with ComicConnect.

Also, re some earlier comments, I think Kirby DPSes are where Kirby's sense of design and drama totally outweigh what characters are on the page. I'm not saying that if you had, side by side, equally-good DPSes of the FF fighting the X-Men (note: this doesn't exist) and the Dingbats of Danger Street that the former wouldn't be more desirable. It's that some of his best work is on characters you normally wouldn't think twice about. There are a couple of 2001 pieces that are breathtaking. I'd love to own them and I have no clue who the characters are.

Here are three examples. The JO piece is, technically, static -- and it's just Jimmy Olsen, but geez. The Glory Boat piece has no characters on it at all. And I don't think there are a ton of Ikaris fans out there, but...

kirbyeternals9s.jpg

kirbyjo133.jpg

kirbygloryboat.jpg

He certainly knew how to make machinery exciting, didn't he?

I agree about his sense of design and drama outweighing the characters. They're the comic book equivalent of the moment in an epic movie – whether it's Ben Hur's chariot race or Close Encounters during the Devil's Tower scene – when the camera pulls way back to a widescreen shot that takes in the whole spectacle and you're overwhelmed by the scale of it all and the riot of activity on screen. The "holy " moment.

These are Kirby showing off. But he was entitled. And it was worth it. Masterful graphic design.

What book/issue is the Glory Boat DPS from? I love it.

If the FF #88 pg 6 single page splash can jump from $22k to $34k in 9 months, then to my mind this should be at least equal in value, if not more. Especially if Kirby Marvel DPSes are as rare as Glen says.

Eh. Ehhh...you know, I'm not sure I'd base anything on how this auction does. It might be totally fine and legit, but I'm really cautious about private bidders and record-high prices 5 days before it ends. If the owner is on this list and all is Jake, more power to you, sir - blame all the jerks who have come before you who make me cautious.

I just posted this to the comicart-l, but thought I'd repost here...

I just discovered a glitch in Ebay's "private listing" system.

I couldn't understand why people were questioning the authenticity of the bidders on this auction, because I could clearly see the bidders and their feedback history.

Then I looked again using my laptop and Firefox, and realized it was, in fact, a private listing.

But if you look at it on an iPhone using Safari, you are redirected to Ebay's mobile site, and you can still see the bidders. (If you use Ebay's app, the bidder info is blocked. It only works using Safari on the iPhone. Not sure about Android.)

Here are some screen shots from the listing:

bidders1.png

bidders2.png

bidders3.png

These look legit to me. Not Ebay newbies with low or no feedback.

I may be missing something here, but I can't see why this auction might be problematic (other than the dubious claim that the seller is donating half the proceeds to charity, but Jerry had some plausible explanations for that on comicart-l).

It takes two bidders to drive the price up, and there are 3 ways it could happen: (a) 2 legit bidders, (b) 1 shill and 1 legit bidder, or © 2 shill bidders.

If (a), no foul.

If (b), the shill bidder can only drive the price as high as the legit bidder's ceiling. Not ethical, but it's still not forcing anyone to pay more than they were willing.

If ©, it's unethical and stupid. The seller gains nothing. Unless, of course, there's a third legit bidder involved. But then we're back to scenario (b).

Andrew