• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Boys" - loved this book.

12 posts in this topic

Brilliant characterization, action packed, full of laughs even though there was a sinister side to it. Also I honestly don't think there has been anyone in any comic book universe that I have warmed to more than Hughie in recent years. What a great ending for him!

I am going to miss the out of it :( ... but I am glad it now stands up there complete and unspoilt. Jealous of the people who will now get to read "The Boys" for the first time cover to cover.

For me, Butcher was always the star of the book. Particularly after reading the "Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker" mini series I just felt there was a lot more depth to him.

I know it's typical of Ennis to have all the action in the penultimate issue and then wrap things up more slowly in the last one (see: Preacher), but I thought the final Boys issue was a bit of a let down. I can understand getting Robertson back to draw it, but I didn't like the art - took me a few panels to realise that the person sitting on the bench with Hughie was meant to be Stillwell.

Anyway, it was a great series overall, and I'm also sad it's done. I'll probably pick up Red Team when it comes out to get an Ennis fix.

Yes the Butcher was the star but my feelings towards him changed throughout the book (i.e. didn't warm to him like with Hughie... a couple of my favourite pages had to be the occasions where the team were laughing at him :grin: "You took a dump in his cave--?") Have not read that mini yet. Yay! Thanks for the reminder... not quite over for me yet it seems.

I have to say I wasn't expecting anything else out of the final issue, as you quite rightly said it went down in the penultimate one. The art didn't bother me, enjoyed it. Probably only one issue that I remember I didn't like the art in and that was #55.

Overall, I liked this series as well. But I do wish Ennis had had an editor on this to reign him in. Too many subplots and too complicated a mythology. HEROGASM was imo unnecessary and really, the worst Ennis I've read in a while. The core story, however, was great and that's what kept me until the end.

Herogasm was definitely a slow time in the story (including the main Boys series). It seems like a lot of people dropped out around then.

It took a bit, but it definitely got better. Though I haven't read the last issue yet, it was a solid series overall.

I definitely would not say it "out Preacher'd Preacher". But I guess what he meant by that. If he meant filthy, I'd agree. If he meant the better story, no way.

Pat

Herogasm was Ennis and McCrea right? You get those 2 together it's gonna get pretty dirty and story goes everywhere. Anybody ever read (D)icks? That book is hilarious, but the story goes off the tracks all the time.