• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the future of extensively restored keys?

166 posts in this topic

I'm sure there are several on these Boards who could auction off their whole collection and raise enough $$$ to "mannup" and buy one decent copy of Action #1, or whatever your grail is, unrestored. I doubt even one amongst us has done this or would even contemplate doing this ............ Could the "collector" in any of us actually allow this to happen?

If I was able to do so, I would.

For instance, I'd rather have one low grade (lets say 2.0) Action Comics #1 than a run of "other" Early Actions that would be equal to it in terms of FMV.

So I'd take the Action #1 over Action #7, 10, 13, 15, 17, 19, etc.

More practically speaking, I'd probably rather have a very low grade Batman #1, even if I could only get a copy with extensive amateur restoration -- as opposed to an impressive run of higher graded, unrestored early issues.

It's a matter of valuing (just my opinion) content over volume.

The super super key books have so much value in the "content" department, the "volume" of multiple issues that are in better "condition" would not out-weigh the aforementioned.

It's only my opinion, I'm sure many others would feel differently and I completely respect that.

But I'm not just talking from an investment standpoint, I'm speaking as a collector here and as a collector, I would treasure a book the caliber of Action #1 so much so that everything else would pale in comparison.

I'm just the opposite. Action 1 just doesn't call out to me at all in any way. If I chanced upon one in an attic, I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in immediately for fair market value of a whole pile of other Golden Age/Atom Age comics.

(shrug)

I'm sure there are several on these Boards who could auction off their whole collection and raise enough $$$ to "mannup" and buy one decent copy of Action #1, or whatever your grail is, unrestored. I doubt even one amongst us has done this or would even contemplate doing this ............ Could the "collector" in any of us actually allow this to happen?

For instance, I'd rather have one low grade (lets say 2.0) Action Comics #1 than a run of "other" Early Actions that would be equal to it in terms of FMV.

More practically speaking, I'd probably rather have a very low grade Batman #1, even if I could only get a copy with extensive amateur restoration -- as opposed to an impressive run of higher graded, unrestored early issues.

The super super key books have so much value in the "content" department, the "volume" of multiple issues that are in better "condition" would not out-weigh the aforementioned.

It's only my opinion, I'm sure many others would feel differently and I completely respect that.

But I'm not just talking from an investment standpoint, I'm speaking as a collector here and as a collector, I would treasure a book the caliber of Action #1 so much so that everything else would pale in comparison.

I'm just the opposite. Action 1 just doesn't call out to me at all in any way. If I chanced upon one in an attic, I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in imeediately for fair market value of a whole pile of other Golden Age/Atom Age comics.

(shrug)

I'm your Huckleberry :hi:

I'm just the opposite. Action 1 just doesn't call out to me at all in any way. If I chanced upon one in an attic, I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in imeediately for fair market value of a whole pile of other Golden Age/Atom Age comics.

(shrug)

:gossip:

I believe it's Hucklebearer.

:hi:

(shrug)

I've been trying to figure out what Val Kilmer said in that movie, for years...

http://rafaelmarquez.me/writing/im-your-huckleberry-or-is-it-im-your-huckle-bearer/

(shrug)

I've been trying to figure out what Val Kilmer said in that movie, for years...

http://rafaelmarquez.me/writing/im-your-huckleberry-or-is-it-im-your-huckle-bearer/

To be honest.

I think the first time he says it, he says Huckleberry, as in "I'm your man" It sounds like it, and it fits the context of the film.

The second time it sounds more like he says "Hucklebearer", as in "I'm gonna bury you".. and given what he say right afterwards...it fits too.

Knowing Kilmer, he meant to play it different.

Who knows, all I know was it was a great character.

Sorry to get off topic.

Back to comics we can't open, or afford.

:D