• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the future of extensively restored keys?

166 posts in this topic

AJ:

Have you every seen a 70 year old lady who has had, like 10 plastic surgeries .: See Joan Rivers.

So, you want to buy or invest in a "Skin Job"...a REPLICANT comic book...See Blade Runner the movie-1982

Do not invest in a recreation...that is what it is. You can buy an recreation a lot cheaper...see DC Famous First Editions" Etc

The investment portion of this purchase is similar to buying "swamp land" in Florida, Greek Bonds 5 years ago, or Enron stock..

If you are gonna spend 10K or more, there are many unrestored or mod restored books to select from.

Do not waste your money, time and collection on the "replicants"

AJ:

Have you every seen a 70 year old lady who has had, like 10 plastic surgeries .: See Joan Rivers.

So, you want to buy or invest in a "Skin Job"...a REPLICANT comic book...See Blade Runner the movie-1982

Do not invest in a recreation...that is what it is. You can buy an recreation a lot cheaper...see DC Famous First Editions" Etc

The investment portion of this purchase is similar to buying "swamp land" in Florida, Greek Bonds 5 years ago, or Enron stock..

If you are gonna spend 10K or more, there are many unrestored or mod restored books to select from.

This post takes the cake. :tonofbricks:

I'm looking into purchasing a extensively restored big key. But what does everyone think the future value of them will be? They have gone up but obviously not as much as unrestored copies.

AJ

A restored book should be valued at what it was before restoration. Maybe a slight premium for the resto work because it looks nicer.

In the future they will be valued at what it was before restoration. Maybe a slight premium for the resto work because it looks nicer.

I'm looking into purchasing a extensively restored big key. But what does everyone think the future value of them will be? They have gone up but obviously not as much as unrestored copies.

AJ

A restored book should be valued at what it was before restoration. Maybe a slight premium for the resto work because it looks nicer.

In the future they will be valued at what it was before restoration. Maybe a slight premium for the resto work because it looks nicer.

that has always been my train of thought...heck, if one really wanted too spend the money, even many ext restored books could be "unrestored" back to their lower grade previous condition (not all mind you)...so that is a lot of times how I begin thinking about them...and right now, they can be bought at a "huge" discount to that train of thought

on extensive, you really have to do your homework...is the book on the lower end, i.e. just a step away from being moderate (shrug) or is it a frankenbook (lots of recreation, as mitch put it)

so one must determine if it extensive because it has had a lot of little things done to it (like some piece work, some c/t and like the pages cleaned...that is hardly adding or replicating anything on the interior, but by definition, if a restorer does work to all the pages..even just cleaning, it could be designated "extensive", where as there might be less piece or color touch, or glue, etc, than say a moderate that wasn't cleaned)

or is the book a frankenbook that has huge amounts of recreation of pieces added, or gobs and gobs of color, rice paper, etc etc ...this type of book ,if that is what mitch is refering too, is likely to be less desirable or increase in value less than even another copy of the same book extensively restored...

but I believe there is a returning to previous days where restored books were valued higher than in the cgc era...it only makes sense, and as someone else pointed out, at somepoint, if you want to own a mega key, ext might be the only affordable way....

that said, I would caution purchasing a frankenbook ext vs an "accumulation" ext...not all ext are created equal

that is why I favor a numerical addendum to the cgc notation...

something like

SP1

SP2

Sp3

MP4

MP5

MP6

EP7

EP8

EP9

Ep10...so one can quantity the work to some degree...doubt we will ever get there, but typically a visual inspection of the book will reveal to what degree it is "restored"

AJ:

:facepalm:

All worthwhile thoughts. :) I tend to avoid resto books, but then, I'm not able to afford books generally upwards of 1K, I think the very most I've ever spent on a book was 700 (not that I wouldn't LIKE to spend more!) So in all I just get unrestored vs. work done on them.

Were I in the market to spend big bucks on books, I could well fall into the sl resto camp as the only way to swing some books.

Another piece of advice. Buying a restored key book where there are a lot of unrestored copies available may not be too prudent. Case in point. Tonight's C-link auction had a Batman #1 CGC 9.0 MP that sold for $21,100. Considering 9.0 guide is $235,500 the book sold for under 9% of guide. An unrestored copy is worth far more than guide.

My point is, do your homework. Not all restored keys are created equal! (thumbs u

Another piece of advice. Buying a restored key book where there are a lot of unrestored copies available may not be too prudent. Case in point. Tonight's C-link auction had a Batman #1 CGC 9.0 MP that sold for $21,100. Considering 9.0 guide is $235,500 the book sold for under 9% of guide. An unrestored copy is worth far more than guide.

My point is, do your homework. Not all restored keys are created equal! (thumbs u

I guess it all depends on what that book was like before it was restored.

If the book was a 2.0 then it went cheap. If the book was a 1.5 then it went for close to what it should have gone for.

Even though it's an MP it still could be leaning towards the EP side rather than the SP side, hence why a more fine (less coarse) resto grading scale like the one GAtor mentioned makes sense.

If agree for years that the 3 level scale is far too coarse.

you have to give me credit.....I Did say spend money on Mod restored books.....mellowing out with age

:applause: and if you start using a 70 year old MAN as an example (because there are plenty of them with extensive resto) ...I''ll REALLY be proud of you;) :foryou:

I'd stay away from any book that says "Interior lightened". Most of those books are bleached and those chemicals breakdown the paper at an accelerated rate.

I also stay away from Cover re-glossed;) because they look too shiny and they tend to crack if you bend the pages;)

I agree with interior lightened. And just as an example, this book might get extensive resto, but its hardly a franken book. The majority of the work was solid color on the spine.

The book I am considering is a 9.2 extensive in an older slab. So who knows what it was before. It could be anywhere from a 1.0 to a 4.0.

tec35b.jpg

tec35c.jpg