• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Encyclopedia of Comics

5 posts in this topic

I was paging through my copy of The World Encyclopedia of Comics today and feeling a little nostalgic. If you don't know the book, here are the details:

The World Encyclopedia of Comics

Edited by Maurice Horn

Published 1976 by Chelsea House Publishers

Hardcover: 9" x 12"

790 pages

I bought my copy when it was published in 1976. I was 19 at the time and it was an eye opener. It was my introduction to McCay, Herriman, Outcault's Yellow Kid, Marston's Wonder Woman, to name a few... and gave me a greater understanding and appreciation of my favourite 60s Marvel artists.

The commentary isn't particularly objective, and the reproduction of the artwork isn't very sharp, but it was a landmark book in its day and it's still an invaluable resource.

I believe that an updated version was published in the late 1990s.

This made me dig out my wife's book from college - The Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics. I am bringing it to work and hope to kill some serious time perusing it at my desk!