• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ian, Where have you been???

128 posts in this topic

He can come back, or stay away. and guess what? the world will keep om spinningm, and these boards will just plow on fine with or without him.

Well, guess what? The same can be said of me. Or you. Or ANYONE else here. Can you name any individual who's leaving the boards would stop it from plowing on fine?

Why you of course Pov,...it wouldn't be the same without you..... frown.gif...

Well, that's awfully nice of you but it puts me in a dilemna. Do I accept the accolade? Because if I do I blow my argument. confused.gif

Come ON - I am too old for these new tasks! crazy.gif

that was my poijnt POV, that we are all replaceable...except you of course. No seriously, what are we talking about here, really? A freestyle wide-open excahnge of ideas on comics! How do people like Ian take it so seriouslyt that their feelings get all out of joint over this stuff?

If he cant adopt that same attitude, perhaps he shouldnt come back.

Ever break up with a girl, or rather she broke up with you? And all you want is to get her back. And you try reall hard to not be th ejerk she broke up with around her. Trying to not be the same way so shell give you another chance and come back. And sometimes - - hooray she does!!! But is it a happy ending?

no, cause now you have to keep on being this NEW guy - -that YOU ARENT!! Aftera happy while (days weeks...) th eold/real you slips back, and th erelationship is just as rocky as it was.

I dont know why I told that, but if Ian comes back as the same guy, he wont be any happier here with the same crew we got!!

I dont know why I told that, but if Ian comes back as the same guy, he wont be any happier here with the same crew we got!!

Well, my friend (note the simpering attitude designed to get me into your good graces, you bleeing sot - oops - YOUR not English - well, anyway) - Well, my comrade (crapola - this is not the WC - no place for cummunism here) - well my - of the hell with it - you aren;t "my" anything!

Well Aman smile.gif - I 100% agree with you. I wasn;t really giving Ian a pep talk. I was basically trying to help him get a better perspective on the boards and their interaction. If he comes back as the same guy? Well, I would expect the same thing. But if he DOES lighten up, well - it means we have another denizen with probbaly a great knowledge of DC. (Yes, Ian - if you be reading this, I am manipulating you because I am really starting to get into DC BA Horror and want more folks who kow about them onboard!)

Ever break up with a girl, or rather she broke up with you? And all you want is to get her back. And you try reall hard to not be th ejerk she broke up with around her. Trying to not be the same way so shell give you another chance and come back. And sometimes - - hooray she does!!! But is it a happy ending?

::edit because this was a double post due to extreme slowness on the boards a bit back - so just editing a new reply here::

Yes I have and actually, the last time this happened, it was an INCREDIBLE ending. Why? Because I actually changed permanently. And for the better. She and I are no longer one but I'll tell you, that is definitely for the best because I was no longer the guy she was with.

Real quick - basically after the breakup - I was in my 20's and we were living together so it was all the harder - I found myself, after a couple of weeks of "Trying to not be the same way so shell give you another chance". Didn;t work (of course) but, because of that, trying new things I ordinarily would not try. SOme tihngs simple. Some things complex. Simple things would be like trying cheescake for the first time - when I was a kid I loathed cream cheese - so always said no to cheescake - so I decided "screw it" and holy crapola that stuff was AMAZING! Then I took a trip to Upper Gaugetown (some of us here will know where that is) with a friend who had relatives and met a girl up there - all to the good. Many examples like this but basically? My entire thought process changed. I became a completely different person. Far more outgoing. Far more experimental. And never looked back.

So basically, yeah. Change CAN happen - real change.nd permanent change. And a happy ending. We talked a year or so later. She was happy in a new relationahip and I was happy in a new perception.

OK - that is the end - you can un-avert your eyes everyone!

I liked it the second time I read it too. thumbsup2.gif

You know? This is not the first double-cover post tonight. The boards are so freaking SLOW that one thinks they can go BACK and make an edit and still post. But the clicks are buffered and the slow boards have no mercy. LUCKILY I was gonna make a followup post. So will edit the 2nd one. but for those to this thread, yeah - my post was double posted because the boards - for a while there - were like 300 baud! 893frustrated.gif

hi.gif DL

I liked it the second time I read it too. thumbsup2.gif

You know? This is not the first double-cover post tonight. The boards are so freaking SLOW that one thinks they can go BACK and make an edit and still post. But the clicks are buffered and the slow boards have no mercy. LUCKILY I was gonna make a followup post. So will edit the 2nd one. but for those to this thread, yeah - my post was double posted because the boards - for a while there - were like 300 baud! 893frustrated.gif

hi.gif DL

Like they know what 300 baud is supposed to mean.

hi.gifpov

::edit because this was a double post due to extreme slowness on the boards a bit back - so just editing a new reply here::

Yes I have and actually, the last time this happened, it was an INCREDIBLE ending. Why? Because I actually changed permanently. And for the better. She and I are no longer one but I'll tell you, that is definitely for the best because I was no longer the guy she was with.

Real quick - basically after the breakup - I was in my 20's and we were living together so it was all the harder - I found myself, after a couple of weeks of "Trying to not be the same way so shell give you another chance". Didn;t work (of course) but, because of that, trying new things I ordinarily would not try. SOme tihngs simple. Some things complex. Simple things would be like trying cheescake for the first time - when I was a kid I loathed cream cheese - so always said no to cheescake - so I decided "screw it" and holy crapola that stuff was AMAZING! Then I took a trip to Upper Gaugetown (some of us here will know where that is) with a friend who had relatives and met a girl up there - all to the good. Many examples like this but basically? My entire thought process changed. I became a completely different person. Far more outgoing. Far more experimental. And never looked back.

So basically, yeah. Change CAN happen - real change.nd permanent change. And a happy ending. We talked a year or so later. She was happy in a new relationahip and I was happy in a new perception.

OK - that is the end - you can un-avert your eyes everyone!

thanx for the related story!! Glad you "wised up"! But wait! You got her back, changed for good...then met a new girl and dumped the old one?

Oh, I misunderstood.

I actually won her back...and it was glorious for a few weeks. We'd been apart for months and it looked hopeless (think John Favreau in Swingers running to the answering machine the minute you get home to look for a message)

news.gif Word on the street is he managed to get the 2 missing Detectives, so now he only has 2 to go. He's also in the process of upgrading his collection. I heard that Matt Nelson recently viewed his fabulous collection in London & also Ian upgraded his Action # 1. news.gif

Do you have this on reliable source? If so, it's one of the things that pisses me off most about that little whiner.

All the person_without_enough_empathying about not being able to afford the final 4 at the prices they have been offered at, but then he can afford to upgrade Action #1 of all things?

I wish Ian were back, but only so I could rip him a new one...again. mad.gif

Yes, the information is reliable, because Ian just confirmed it in a PM. I may not agree with some of his past actions, but Ian does contribute in his own unique manner & the Boards have been a lot duller since his non participation. tongue.gif

Ian sent me a thanks PM yesterday concenring my most recent post about him. I replied a bit ago, advising him to come back, and also advising him to take things with a laugh and also reminding him of how great the folks here can be and also advising him that, should he feel the need to depart, never make it permanent but keep it open-ended. (Well, my reply was pretty danged long but that was the gist of it).

Pov,

Perhaps that you should have suggested to Ian that by staging this "bring Ian back campaign" (whether intentional or not) the wolves will be waiting for his return and will be looking for blood (not saying me, I could really care less) so be prepared for a rough ride. He should have just jumped in right away, defended his honor, exchanged a few barbs, brushed off the dust then on to the next post.

I will say this, if Ian returns it will makes for some interesting flame wars. I hope he has the stomach for it. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Perhaps that you should have suggested to Ian that by staging this "bring Ian back campaign" (whether intentional or not) the wolves will be waiting for his return and will be looking for blood

Well, it;s apparant he is still reading the boards, otherwise he wouldn't have known what I wrote. So I think he is pretty aware of the atmosphere pro and con.

Its amazing that he (you Ian!) hasn't posted here again. I mean, if as you state, he keeps up with the doings and reads the threads, why not just start posting again? Its really no big deal, why take it so seriously????

He'll be greeted with a chorus of "Welcome back Ian!!"

wait, Ill bet if someone started a thread here about something he's avidly interested in, like a box of comics they just picked up at a flea market that just happenned to include the LAST 2 DCs he needs, he'd be back in a flash!!

As someone who is certainly NOT a fan of Ian's (and believe me, he doesn't like me either -- think Double Action 2) I actually miss the guy. For me, he brought more color to the boards and I think that even though I thought he was a bit obsessive in his quest (but aren't we all in some way?) and obnoxious at times, I thought his genuine fan attitude was actually interesting. So was his collecting goal -- I actually hope he completes it.

I think what makes people indifferent (or for many dislike) him is that he can be such a jerk often times -- and the guy seems arrogant, and it's not just the comic collecting circle that thinks so (he's reportedly run afoul of other collectors... like say the Doctor Who collectors... who also basically think he's kinda rude).

But I miss seeing his posts, his updates and everything else he brought... and I don't even like him. I purposefully avoid ripping him because it seems like everyone gets on his case, and to me, unless he actually does something, I think that people can be quick to jump on him (and maybe that's partially because of who he is). Of course, I wasn't a big fan of him ripping Darth for having a picture of his kid -- but again, that's part of what you get with Ian... good with the bad. I think he's good for an internet message board, and hope he comes out of lurking and begins to post again.

As someone who is certainly NOT a fan of Ian's (and believe me, he doesn't like me either -- think Double Action 2) I actually miss the guy. For me, he brought more color to the boards and I think that even though I thought he was a bit obsessive in his quest (but aren't we all in some way?) and obnoxious at times, I thought his genuine fan attitude was actually interesting. So was his collecting goal -- I actually hope he completes it.

I think what makes people indifferent (or for many dislike) him is that he can be such a jerk often times -- and the guy seems arrogant, and it's not just the comic collecting circle that thinks so (he's reportedly run afoul of other collectors... like say the Doctor Who collectors... who also basically think he's kinda rude).

But I miss seeing his posts, his updates and everything else he brought... and I don't even like him. I purposefully avoid ripping him because it seems like everyone gets on his case, and to me, unless he actually does something, I think that people can be quick to jump on him (and maybe that's partially because of who he is). Of course, I wasn't a big fan of him ripping Darth for having a picture of his kid -- but again, that's part of what you get with Ian... good with the bad. I think he's good for an internet message board, and hope he comes out of lurking and begins to post again.

that's what Im saying too

But its ironic kinda. Yours is yet another opinion championing Ian's return, that can't help but honestly remind us of all his negatives. These are not exactly glowing reviews - - from those who wish his return. Whats the expression about "faint praise!"

This is getting silly. I think Ian is a very knowledgable guy when it comes to comics and thats what these boards are about. Heck I don't know anyone who knows as much about DC as he does. I have learned a lot from reading his posts and have enjoyed helping him out from time to time (i.e. Shawn (Shield) and I getting him the Buzzy 70). He should come back here. If you don't like him then don't read his friggin posts.

Scott

I have to admit that all this Ian-bashing is really getting to me. The point has been made that some of you don't like him. That's your perogative, of course, but now that he's gone and no longer torturing your souls by posting in his own threads, it feels like bullying for the sake of bullying. You achieved your goal: he left. Please consider stopping the gloating and insults. It isn't like he harmed any of you. He didn't sell you trimmed books, or rip you off on ebay. He didn't even hijak your threads to talk about his quest.

I'm not telling you what to think or say, I'm only asking that you consider some restraint.

-- Joanna

i agree with joanna that some restraint is would be nice. i like to visit and read stuff, but i'm also afrais that if you would say the things about ian that you are now, what would you say about me or anyone else here for that matter?

i don't understand all of you. you seem to enjoy running people off. sure, i have only been coming here for the last 6 months to read the forums and finally just registered 2 months ago because I needed to buy comics.

i have to say that in the time i have been here, you guys have ran off a lot of people and seem to enjoy the fact that you did so. not only that, you continue to bash them when they are no longer here to defend themselves. i believe one of the most popular sayings on the forums is "i'm outta here" and "don't let the door hit you".

I have to admit that all this Ian-bashing is really getting to me. The point has been made that some of you don't like him. That's your perogative, of course, but now that he's gone and no longer torturing your souls by posting in his own threads, it feels like bullying for the sake of bullying. You achieved your goal: he left. Please consider stopping the gloating and insults. It isn't like he harmed any of you. He didn't sell you trimmed books, or rip you off on ebay. He didn't even hijak your threads to talk about his quest.

I'm not telling you what to think or say, I'm only asking that you consider some restraint.

-- Joanna

i agree with joanna that some restraint is would be nice. i like to visit and read stuff, but i'm also afrais that if you would say the things about ian that you are now, what would you say about me or anyone else here for that matter?

i don't understand all of you. you seem to enjoy running people off. sure, i have only been coming here for the last 6 months to read the forums and finally just registered 2 months ago because I needed to buy comics.

i have to say that in the time i have been here, you guys have ran off a lot of people and seem to enjoy the fact that you did so. not only that, you continue to bash them when they are no longer here to defend themselves. i believe one of the most popular sayings on the forums is "i'm outta here" and "don't let the door hit you".

If we're such heinous monsters, why, "don't let the door hit you."