• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA - Grading Services or Third Party Certifications?

19 posts in this topic

Since I am new to OA and did not see any references to these questions can anyone tell me if you can have CGC grade your OA? I know they grade single comic pages and usually put an NG but at least it would encapsulate it and protect it. Are there any companies that can cetify the artwork? I know it is all unique one of a kind items but would love a third party certification to go along with it.

Thanks for all your help!

If CGC start grading OA it may be time to leave the hobby.

:facepalm:

Imagine the enormity of the slabs!!!!

Since I am new to OA and did not see any references to these questions can anyone tell me if you can have CGC grade your OA? I know they grade single comic pages and usually put an NG but at least it would encapsulate it and protect it. Are there any companies that can cetify the artwork? I know it is all unique one of a kind items but would love a third party certification to go along with it.

No offense, but I hope you are the only one who thinks like that, because that is a horrible horrible idea. Third party certification and encapsulation of OA is a terrible idea. How about my large art DPS, they will have a single slab that will encapsulate my art that is 26" x 19"?

Malvin

I am guessing the anwser to your questions is no. :baiting:

Encapsulation is getting out of control, since many collector's don't want their slabs cracked, chipped or scratched, maybe CGC should create an encapsulation and grading system also for the slab itself, and slab a slabbed comic to protect the comic and the slab it's in...

I don't think anyone cares about encapsulating original artwork.

Even the sketch covers are ridiculous to slab and grade, because the nature of the the medium and process lends itself to damage and handling, so in all honesty who really cares about the grade of the medium, the comic book more so than the quality of the rendering of the sketch itself. To ask an artist to handle a comic book with kid gloves while drawing a commission so it can grade a 9.8 seems like a fairly nit-picky request that could result in a mediocre drawing... let the artists do what they do best, and on their terms... draw.

The one advantage of slabbed con sketches is authentication since it's witnessed by the CGC observer - their Signature Series, I think?

Anyway, I still think it's silly. Most con sketches are fairly inexpensive in my experience and the charge to slab adds a bunch to the price.

That said, CGC seems to make a business out of it so I guess that means there's something for everyone. :)

thanks for your thoughts. Sorry if I am out of the norm, but I will just like my pages protected. So a better question what does everyone use to protect their pages to handle and look at to appreciate instead of just framing?

Mylar (4M+Board for expensive pieces) + Portfolio (I prefer Itoya, but there are many to choose from ).

I can't think of a local joint that would sells these? Would a place like Hobby Lobby carry them?

Thx again

In my area, I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, and usually when I did the prices were quite a bit higher - YMMV.

Amazon has Itoya's (almost any size you want). I personally use BCE (Bill Cole) for Mylars and Acid-free boards, but there are many other options. Good luck!