• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do you continue to roll the dice with "MyComicShop"

129 posts in this topic

Can't speak for others but I spent over $6,000 with MCS in the last ten months and didn't recieve a single book I thought was overgraded. Recieved plenty that I thought were undergraded.

What, exactly , were the OPs complaints? That he was offered a full refund but didn't want to waste his lunch hour at the post office in order to get it?

He seems to feel that by complaining, MCS should simply refund his money while he keeps the book he wasn't happy with.

You must be their Platinum Plus member then, that's some serious change for a company I'd only buy readers from. I will say their CGC program is getting better and more competitive for high end stuff.

To answer your question, I will continue to roll the dice with mycomicshop.

I think they are an above average to excellent dealer also. I order bulk comics from them time to time. They are usually no more than 15 yrs old. Maybe a couple of comics I wished were in better shape, and one was definitely not NM. It was not enough money to complain about.

When ordering raw comics, I generally expect that I may not get what I ordered, I just do my best to make sure I order from someone with a good rep. They take some time getting back to you but I think they are actually pretty good company.

I can sum up how this works with both My Comic Shop (MCS) and Mile High Comics (MHC):

- If you order books that are under $10, chances are high you will get books that are over-graded, sometimes by more than one grade.

- If you order books that are over $10, you will most likely get a book in the grade stated. (MCS has pretty much come out and said this and it's clear MHC is similar in this regard.)

This is why there is a huge disparity between those who praise MCS and MHC and those who disparage them.

The frustration felt by the consumers for the less costly books will continue since there simply is no money in a dealer spending the time to accurately grade cheap books. Ideally, MCS and MHC would simply drop grading their sub $10 books so they don't disappoint those customers.

I really like this idea -- sub $10 books fall into 4 cats: VF-NM, F+-VF-, VG-F.

Do that, make the pricing at the low end of that spectrum, and watch the man hours required to deal with grading, returns, and customer service drop.

It would be business suicide for a successful dominant seller to kowtow to a teeny hyper critical segment, lets call them the lunatic fringe (or left fielders, or lf'ers).

This business maintains a 99.6% to 99.7% positive ebay rating with the 4.95 detailed star ratings, despite receiving some unreasonable negatives from some highly motivated voices intent on tearing them down. And ebay is not even MCS main venue, as they have a very successful website of their own where the majority of their transactions are processed. Not a secret that every ebay listing they have can be purchased for less on their own website When you blanket a segment and are doing thousands of transactions every week you will inevitably, unavoidably get some mutant 2 headed fish in the net.

In this vast net MCS casts out, some lf'ers will scream that there must be changes in how your business is run. The logic disconnect should be obvious here.

This vicious circle continues. If you have a client base of 100, you probably have the capability and should expect 100% customer satisfaction. If you have a client base of 100,000 then you must recognize you can't reach 100% satisfaction yet still strive for it.

smiley_nah.gif

I have yet to hear of an example where MCS is flat out wrong and didn't attempt to rectify it.

blindeye.jpg

I've ordered from MCS several times, mostly in hopes of nailing a potential 9.8 on a book I order 10 copies of. I buy all the NMs and some are VFs, some are better. I don't think I've ever expected to order 10 NM books at $2.70 each thinking every one was going to be pristine.

I will roll the dice with MCS because I have bingo'd on a couple 9.8s from them, so I'm good.

Ah, so the idea is to order ten, not just two. Got it! (thumbs u

It would be business suicide for a successful dominant seller to kowtow to a teeny hyper critical segment, lets call them the lunatic fringe (or left fielders, or lf'ers).

This business maintains a 99.6% to 99.7% positive ebay rating with the 4.95 detailed star ratings, despite receiving some unreasonable negatives from some highly motivated voices intent on tearing them down. And ebay is not even MCS main venue, as they have a very successful website of their own where the majority of their transactions are processed. Not a secret that every ebay listing they have can be purchased for less on their own website When you blanket a segment and are doing thousands of transactions every week you will inevitably, unavoidably get some mutant 2 headed fish in the net.

In this vast net MCS casts out, some lf'ers will scream that there must be changes in how your business is run. The logic disconnect should be obvious here.

Main-hyperbole.jpg

I've purchased from them several times and have never had a problem. Of course, part of that is because if I am buying books that are a couple dollars each, I don't really care all that much if the grading is slightly off. I mean, usually it's pretty close, but I find that when I disagree with their grading, it's just as often that I think they were too strict as too lenient.

Either way, though, we're just talking about a couple bucks, right? Is four dollars worth a huge debate over? No offense to those who feel this is a big deal, but I kind of feel like Allen Iverson reading this thread.

I've bought many books off them and never had an issue.They had an issue with an auction a while back and there was less negativity on these boards about that then the current issue with Comiclink.

Nothing is perfect, but mycomicshop is pretty darn good!

I made a purchase from them back about 5 or 6 years ago. Not a big dollar amount but not a less than $10 book either. I felt that the comic was over graded.

Since then they appear to have gotten better. I'm not slavishly devoted to them but I'd certainly buy from them again. In fact, there is a book just shy of $100 that I have my eye on right now.

a teeny hyper critical segment, lets call them the lunatic fringe (or left fielders, or lf'ers).

hm

despite receiving some unreasonable negatives from some highly motivated voices intent on tearing them down.

1-20.jpg

hm

That's still less than half a percent of buyers that didn't leave positive feedback. Looks bad, but the volume that they do mitigates the negs/neutrals.

a teeny hyper critical segment, lets call them the lunatic fringe (or left fielders, or lf'ers).

hm

despite receiving some unreasonable negatives from some highly motivated voices intent on tearing them down.

1-20.jpg

hm

That's still less than half a percent of buyers that didn't leave positive feedback. Looks bad, but the volume that they do mitigates the negs/neutrals.

I've never understood that line of thinking. No matter how many transactions a seller makes, 418 negatives in a year is not good whichever way you look at it.

hm

1-20.jpg

hm

I've never understood that line of thinking. No matter how many transactions a seller makes, 418 negatives in a year is not good whichever way you look at it.

No way any company or person that has had almost 200,000 transactions in a year is going to have spotless feedback. And have you dealt with some of the crazies on ebay?

No way any company or person that has had almost 200,000 transactions in a year is going to have spotless feedback. And have you dealt with some of the crazies on ebay?

Just quickly looking at the 12 negs for the last month, and comments include books not being received, rude customer service, no response to emails and 'being told to shop elsewhere'. If people are content with that 'not-so-spotless' feedback then that's up to them.