• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do you continue to roll the dice with "MyComicShop"

129 posts in this topic

@techvoodoo: While I don’t like these public debates about sellers, or people in general (I have said it previously), I can say RockMyAmadeus explanation makes sense, but precisely because of their policy, this may also work the other way around.

It has happened at least two times that I got a book advertised as a given grade, and the grade was considerably better. With the volume of books moved, I guess you should expect the most accuracy on books beyond a minimum value, although ideally you shold be accurate on both a $1 and a $1000 book.

Photos help a lot, it would be great if they could add photos for more bronze age books.

While I don’t like these public debates about sellers

Why not? Aren't these boards a place to inform each other of the good, bad and ugly when it comes to all aspects of collecting? If we were all having lunch together, we'd openly discuss any/all of this - so why not here? And in this forum, at least the sellers are here to defend themselves...

Just asking...

The real problem that Mycomicshop has is an attitude problem. They simply don't care if a buyer has an issue with what they purchase.

If that business model works for them, GREAT! No one is suggesting, or has suggested, that it doesn't work for them. Clearly, it does!

But along with that should come the acceptance of these types of issues, these types of threads, and these types of complaints, without the need for hyperbolic grandstanding by those with an actual agenda that they carefully hide to gain credibility.

Conan is a nice guy. He is, a genuinely nice guy. Conan is a good spokesperson for the company, and does a good PR job at making it seem like he can fix things. But Conan...by his own admission...does NOT run the place, and does NOT control what actually happens...that would be Buddy, his dad, and, in not so many words, when Buddy makes a decision to dig his heels in, that's the way it is.

Is Mycomicshop a horrible company with whom no one should ever spend their money? No, of course not.

Is Mycomicshop a horrible company that should be kicked off of eBay for its horrible abuses? No, of course not.

Is Mycomicshop an AVERAGE seller with above-average volume, that doesn't care if books are A. not in stock, B. not in the grade advertised, C. not the correct one purchased, or if a particular customer is unhappy with his or her purchase in some other way? Emphatically YES.

99.7% feedback on eBay is an AVERAGE score. They can't even manage to be a Top Rated Seller, something which is fairly easy to do, especially with the volume that they do, and even Mile High can manage that. meh

Just look at all the people who had to file actual PAYPAL CLAIMS to get their money back! What kind of seller waits until it gets to that point before addressing the issue? Answer: a seller who doesn't care, and hopes volume moving makes up for it.

The only real difference between Mile High and Mycomicshop that I have encountered is this:

When I get the wrong book from Mile High, and they had the right book on the shelf the whole time, they tell me to keep the wrong book and they ship out the correct one, on their dime.

When I got the wrong book from Mycomicshop, and they had the right book on the shelf the whole time, I was snottily told by "Beth" (who would have been fired in a hot second if I heard her talk to one of MY customers that way) that it wasn't their "policy" to fix their mistake.

Same exact scenario. Two vastly different outcomes. Dollar amount, condition, volume of my order...all completely irrelevant.

It really doesn't matter if someone spends 10 cents, or 10 million dollars: everyone likes to be treated professionally and courteously, and that's just not one of Mycomicshop's strong points, as evidenced by the MULTIPLE complaints of "rude customer service" from dozens of people. Sure, you can write off me...or a handful...but ALL of them? Nice try, but no.

Found this interesting little tidbit:

iconNeg_16x16.gif I called before purchasing, unfortunately, I was not given good information Member id skypinkblu ( Feedback Score Of 5061) Sep-14-11 13:37

Archie (1943) #50 PR (#130572503228) US $28.00

Is the "highly esteemed" CGC board member skypinkblu a member of "the lunatic fringe" who "can't be pleased"....? Heck, even *I* have never left MCS a negative....

hm

And those of you who don't care about condition? That's awesome (truly; it would make my life a lot simpler if no one cared about condition, most of all me), and you should definitely shop with Mycomicshop, as they certainly have the volume to meet your needs...but that doesn't mean that others shouldn't care about condition, or an item being out of stock (but listed anyways), or getting the incorrect item, and they should "get over it" if that happens. It's their hard earned money, too.

Let's not have this altered version of "how I buy rules, how you buy sucks", shall we...?

Hell, Sparkle City, which is the formerly infamous Neatstuffcollectibles, run by the campiest dealer of them all, Mike Carbonero, which had HORRIBLE feedback back in the day, has managed to have SPOTLESS feedback in the past TWO YEARS! Not a single neg OR neutral in over 2 YEARS! That's amazing, considering their volume.

Sorry, but 418 419 negs and 360 neutrals in a single year...with hundreds more behind that, for anyone so inclined to dig...is average eBay. Not great. Not horrible. Just average, and indicative of a company, like many on eBay, that cares only about volume, not customer satisfaction.

Could MCS fix the problem? Absolutely! If Beatstuffcollectibles can effect such a massive turnaround from the old days, anybody can.

Do they want to? Clearly, no, and...again...that works fine for them...so long as they're prepared to deal with threads like these.

If you like buying cheap books in large quantities, and you don't care about condition, or a particular item being in stock, or, if there is a problem, it's not worth your time and effort to bother with it...and that's a perfectly fine buying scheme, by the way...then you and MCS are probably a great fit.

However...if you DO care about condition, and getting complete accuracy in your order, and fast, friendly, and most of all, take-responsibility resolutions to any problems that come up...MCS is probably not going to be on your list of go-to stores, because that's not what they do. You'd be better served dealing with the more boutique dealers like FT, or Foolkiller, or myself (comic-sutra), where you'll pay more, but you'll be absolutely guaranteed to get precisely what you wanted, and if you're not satisfied, you'll get a no-hassle return.

And that's about as honest an analysis as anything in this thread.

And those of you who are hyper-defending MCS merely out of spite (and you know who you are) with your absolutely silly claims like the following:

"If that expresses anything other than ridiculously stellar customer service" - it expresses the fact that hundreds of people have felt strongly enough to complain in a permanent fashion. So how does that explain a Vette1986? Or a-place-in-space? Super duper ridiculously stellar customer service...?

"lunatic fringe" - yes, let's characterize everyone with a complaint as "lunatics"...no way ANY of the HUNDREDS of people could have a legitimate complaint, right? Hyperbole, anyone?

"receiving some unreasonable negatives from some highly motivated voices intent on tearing them down." - what nonsense. How do you know what the motives of these people are, especially when MCS can't even deliver the product in over half the complaints? You think that it's some conspiracy to "tear MCS down"...? Who's the lunatic fringe here, really....?

"Why would someone think that MCS would be rude? I dont see anything credible suggesting that." - right, because you're privy to all the private communication that goes on between MCS and its customers...?

"zakarumknight" - could have easily lefts negs instead of neutrals. Lunatic, right?

...as anyone can see, these gents have real honesty issues.

There you go, boys. More chum than you can shake a Great White at. Have at it! This will, as always, be my only post, because trying to reason with some most of you is an exercise in futility. I'm glad I finally learned that.

:whee:

I was going to reply to this after my cycling stint this morning, but there's no point now. You said it all. Miles better than I would have done.

Brevity however is a virtue.

Dictionary dot.com: Brevity - . the quality of expressing much in few words;

I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

I've used just about every online store as well as a lot of ebay dealers. If you buy a raw comic from someone at NM and expect to be able to submit it to CGC at a 9.6 or above you are going to be disappointed. I just don't think that is what those stores and venues are there for.

About 3 months ago I bought a big run of Daredevil issues from MyComicShop.com. They were all in NM condition, but I never had the intention to submit them to CGC. They were for reading purposes and a good deal. That is what I expect from them and other online stores.

If you are looking for 9.6+ books on the web then you need to start buying slabbed books. That is why the system was created. Prior to the internet, we didn't have the overwhelming need for a service like CGC because for the most part people were buying books they physically could see. Now we just can't/don't do that.

I'd go as far to say that it is even difficult to buy 9.6+ books off the rack in comic stores. I always give my store a hard time when they get books damaged. Unfortunately with the packing of books it is near impossible for them to get 10s.

A store like MyComicShop.com or Midtown Comics or Mile High just isn't got to meet everyone's standards. I'm not saying we need to lower expectations, but if you have high expectations then buy slabbed books.

I'm sorry that my name was brought up here.

I saw a book on eBay that I was interested in, it was marked "poor". There was a phone number on the auction page, so I called to see if it was missing pages, and I was given information by the person who answered,that led me to believe it was not missing pages. He was actually quite friendly.

When I got the book, it was missing quite a few pages.

I called again and the same person who had been friendly before pretty much denied saying anything to me even though I had his name, the date and had notes about our conversation. I had no objection to mailing the book back, but I didn't see why I was responsible for the return postage since I was given misleading or at the very least, confusing information.

I asked to speak to his supervisor, had to ask several times. Apparently my call was being monitored and I got "Buddy" and I got yelled at (screamed at)...he told me that I never got any "information" because they don't give out information about books (even though they have a phone number listed) told me that I was a liar I never spoke to anyone, and then I was told I was banned, etc.

SO at that point rather than opening up a dispute and dragging it out, I left a neg, I rarely leave negs, but I will if I think it's warranted, and this was a negative experience for me;)

I discussed it here when it happened and Conan wrote me a lovely long calm note saying that they would be more clear about missing pages. I appreciated that note and told him so.

I think I could have returned the book at that time, but I wasn't clear about return postage, so I think donated it to something here instead or I sold it for close to what I paid, I don't remember, just got rid of it there was no point in seeing it and being annoyed, life is too short.

I would gladly buy from Conan when he opens his own shop. I've personally let go of the issue, just don't shop there since I'm probably banned, lol...and it's OK, I've never been banned before it was a new experience.

BTW, Conan did not say all the negs were unreasonable, he said

I think our eBay feedback is good, but I'd love to get it higher and we always have room to improve. Some of our negative feedback is warranted--we do make mistakes. But we also get some negative feedback that I consider unreasonable. It's the nature of eBay.

My suggestion was that he keep his father off the phone, but I know that's out of Conan's control.

F1CD02BB-BA97-4B94-868C-261C1B1CF2FE-138-0000008919C33BAC.jpg

lol

What is irony, Alex?

Someone button humped my response, and it was removed.

It involved your insatiable appetite for my goods.

Look in the mirror friend. (thumbs u

They removed my reply as well Mike.

When you want to act like an adult and have a conversation, let me know.

Until then, please continue with your erotic fantasies.