• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you press a book?

146 posts in this topic

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

I concur.

Apparently this is one of the many things that has to be kept secret in our little hobby.

I imagine you will have more luck trying to find the secrets of alchemy.

There used to be a thread several years ago illustrating fairly well how to press comics and what kinds of tools to buy to get it done, but CGC removed the thread. I'm sure we'd all love to know why they would do that. (shrug):popcorn:

http://www.comicpressing.com/learn-to-press.php

:shy:

Why should people give up their secrets? Noobs come here all the time asking if they got a good deal on a purchase or whatever and several BSD's would always pillory them. This is the same thing, no?

Buy several different pressing machines, practice on lots of books and learn for yourself. VS. Spend years going to conventions, reviewing auction results, speaking to buyers, etc. etc.

Why should it be a secret? If people want us to trust us with our comics, I think we have the right t know what is being done to them.

Everyone gets on PGX for their utter lack of transparency but every presser says send me your books and I'll improve them.

Russ at least wasn't afraid to show his methods. When he is the pinnacle of openness in an industry, what does that say?

I'd be a lot more willing to try a few books pressed if people were more open about it.

I have zero interest in stealing someones methods. Pressing comics all day ranks right up there with counting pages in a comic for a living.

My stepson played with the idea a year or two ago and came to the same conclusion.

Why should people give up their secrets? Noobs come here all the time asking if they got a good deal on a purchase or whatever and several BSD's would always pillory them. This is the same thing, no?

Buy several different pressing machines, practice on lots of books and learn for yourself. VS. Spend years going to conventions, reviewing auction results, speaking to buyers, etc. etc.

The question isn't why people shouldn't give up their secrets since all of the forum members who contributed to the previous long and detailed post were happy to do so at the time...the question is why CGC would censor that freely-given detailed information. (shrug)

I agree giving away trade secrets isn't warranted but it would be good to know just how different one presser is compared to others.

Such as...do different pressers like Joey use different techniques than KoR or Matt. All the same? What makes one better than the other?

When there is competition a business needs to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack.

I'd like to know if there is a difference besides just price

I agree giving away trade secrets isn't warranted but it would be good to know just how different one presser is compared to others.

Such as...do different pressers like Joey use different techniques than KoR or Matt. All the same? What makes one better than the other?

When there is competition a business needs to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack.

But now you're getting into potentially proprietary information. If presser A has a technique that makes him better than pressers B, C, and D, then presser A is doing himself a disservice by giving up that information.

But now you're getting into potentially proprietary information. If presser A has a technique that makes him better than pressers B, C, and D, then presser A is doing himself a disservice by giving up that information.

:idea:

There has to be some explanation of why we should use one over the other (if pressing is something one accepts).

Given that Matt has now partnered with CGC, if I had a pressing biz I sure would want to market myself and position myself differently than the competition. It can't just be about price. Lower pricing is good but there has to be other factors that would sway a person to use a different service.

I do positioning for major brands for a living. Every business who wants to survive has to have a certain position against competitors.

It may be faster service, better communication, better pricing, better pressing results, better use of technique, something.

At this point my only knowledge of any difference among known pressing services is their prices differ.

$7 a book, figure $1000-$1500 for the press, 5-10 min in the press, pay someone $10-15 an hour to press, and the margins are pretty good, even at $7 a book. You'd pay for the press fairly quickly, too.

I'm sure there are deeper, more time intensive methods you might take on a really expensive book, but they seem to be targeting those $30-100 kind of books.

Moving a book more than 1 grade at that level would justify it.

I like the transparency and the straightforwardness of that video.

It's like asking coke to let you know their secret formula since you want to know what you are ingesting.

Pricing was through the roof for a long time because competition simply was not there. It is only after competition arrived that nosebleed prices have come down.

Regarding sharing methods, anyone worth their salt would not. Early on I helped out a few board member who promised "I only want to do this for myself", it will not impact your business. Well, after getting bitten in the posterior a few times I no longer do it.

You want to know whats happening with your books? They are being pressed professionally. Thats why you sent them in after all. The results for the pro's speak for themselves.

I cannot tell you how many books I have to fix, even from individuals who own a press, after they botch them up. As simple as everyone says it is, they often realise it is not.

Exactly, that would be like me making leaf casting videos.

A process that took me years to perfect in terms of taking what conservation labs have posted..and making it work with comic books.

From how I built my leafcasting table(on Model #4 now), how to select and prep the papers to make pulp for each book casted, how to prep the item to be casted, how to secure the submerged tatteered cover, how to introduce the pulp to the casting table, how to pull the water thru the grid, how to remove the casted item safely, how to blot, and dry the item, how to finish the casted paper so it matches comic stock..

Yeah, I will get right on making a how to set of videos so my competition can alter their routines based on what they see.

I totally understand people wanting transparency, but it simply is not going to happen because comics are a hobby, unlike the Smithsonian working on a letter from Abe Lincoln.

And even then, you don't think conservation labs guard tightly their methods? Sure, a lot of it is published, and common knowledge. But even the most transparent conservation labs guard their stain removal techniques like they are recipes form a Blue Ribbon award winning Apple Pie at the State Fair.

I know, and work with the IHS Conservation lab since I am so close.. And while Ramona has been quite forthcoming on more then one occasion. Often times when I would ask too direct a question, she would smirk and refer me to some article..and tell me to figure it out myself.

They fight tooth and nail with other labs for big commissions, same as comics I guess.

It's like asking coke to let you know their secret formula since you want to know what you are ingesting.

Pricing was through the roof for a long time because competition simply was not there. It is only after competition arrived that nosebleed prices have come down.

Regarding sharing methods, anyone worth their salt would not. Early on I helped out a few board member who promised "I only want to do this for myself", it will not impact your business. Well, after getting bitten in the posterior a few times I no longer do it.

You want to know whats happening with your books? They are being pressed professionally. Thats why you sent them in after all. The results for the pro's speak for themselves.

I cannot tell you how many books I have to fix, even from individuals who own a press, after they botch them up. As simple as everyone says it is, they often realise it is not.

I certainly respect that Joey. I've used your services before and have been pleased.

My question is what makes your technique better or different than others?

Is the only difference price at this point? Or is there an advantage to using your service over Matt's besides price.

I could easily PM you this rather than publicly but thought it might help others understand since you are participating in the thread.

Again no trade secrets are needed.

It may be faster service, better communication, better pricing, better pressing results, better use of technique, something.

And those are all things that someone can claim when advertising their service.

Declaring, for instance, that they use some process that they invented themselves which makes the paper respond in a way previously not seen, then there's no way in hell that anyone is going to give that up. Hell, they should be patenting the process if that were true.

(the above example was completely made up as an example. I have no idea if a certain process can make paper respond better)

[EDIT] - Ze-Man said it far better :applause:

Yeah, my point exactly. There's a lot he showed that flies in the face of common sense, but since I don't know what makes a press "good" or "bad", I'm thinking at least Russ is on the right path with up front disclosure and we'll all eventually know what are the kinds of things a "professional" should be doing to your book.

Kinda like fixing my car; I may not know the ins and outs but I know to stay away from people that don't use best practices.

Yeah, my point exactly. There's a lot he showed that flies in the face of common sense, but since I don't know what makes a press "good" or "bad", I'm thinking at least Russ is on the right path with up front disclosure and we'll all eventually know what are the kinds of things a "professional" should be doing to your book.

Kinda like fixing my car; I may not know the ins and outs but I know to stay away from people that don't use best practices.

And the true beauty of it is you can send your comics in to be fried, place a supplies order and get nothing back ^^