• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how do you press a book?

146 posts in this topic

It's a fact backed up by the fact that I know of at least eight people (i'm sure there are more) pressing books on their own now who learned about it from the CGC boards.

...nine :gossip:

It's a fact backed up by the fact that I know of at least eight people (i'm sure there are more) pressing books on their own now who learned about it from the CGC boards.

...nine :gossip:

:o

Years ago, I was gung ho about how we needed to debate pressing and disclose pressing and talk about how pressing was done. Nowadays, I see that was a mistake. The only thing talking about pressing did was create more pressers.

This is a fallacy. Kind of like saying the popularity of the NFL as the number 1 sport in the US is due to all of the newspaper press the league gets.

What created more pressers was the increase in pressing (through PCS, Matt, Jason, and the other earlybirds) coupled with the money being made by the press/flip approach. The discussions about pressing on the boards are merely reflections of this.

Wrong again.

:signfunny:

Years ago, I was gung ho about how we needed to debate pressing and disclose pressing and talk about how pressing was done. Nowadays, I see that was a mistake. The only thing talking about pressing did was create more pressers.

This is a fallacy. Kind of like saying the popularity of the NFL as the number 1 sport in the US is due to all of the newspaper press the league gets.

What created more pressers was the increase in pressing (through PCS, Matt, Jason, and the other earlybirds) coupled with the money being made by the press/flip approach. The discussions about pressing on the boards are merely reflections of this.

Wrong again.

:signfunny:

Wrong again.

DiceX. He's about as helpless as a porcupine in a nudist colony.

...and about as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrel of oatmeal. (That's the one FL quote I know, and I say, I'm a gonna keep sayin' it!)

Hey now! I'm subtle! :sumo:

not that u care, but I'll always counter one FL quote with another, regardless of what the preceding quote was referring to - so this wasn't aimed at you in particular, I say...

It did spread awareness that helped to create more pressers, but it wasn't the root cause. They wouldn't have bothered if pressing, submitting, and flipping hadn't been made available to the hobbyists through PCS and CI (remember their spiel about making pressing available to everyone?), and a bit later Joe and others, and hadn't been used for fast profit. The board discussions about pressing are a reflection of this and have spread the awareness of it, but they're not a root cause.

Pressing wasn't created here on the boards but it exponentially accelerated the practice. It's almost solely responsible for the growing number of people using the service and who have taken on trying to do it themselves.

I fear that one day we are going to look back on these days,and remember how pressing has ruined the comic book hobby.Devaluing of books,census overloaded with high grade examples,leaving people uninterested in a value less hobby.

I suggest that you get out while the getting is good, and sell me all of your sig line books for a song and a dance. :wishluck:

Surely you will be the first one I look up when the comic apocolypse happens. (thumbs u

I suggest that you get out while the getting is good, and sell me all of your sig line books for a song and a dance. :wishluck:

Surely you will be the first one I look up when the comic apocolypse happens. (thumbs u

smilie_bett.gif

It did spread awareness that helped to create more pressers, but it wasn't the root cause.

The root cause has been money, sure. The Boards taught the world how to make those pressing dollars. No other website has been so dedicated to this curriculum.

So, many folks go to school to have a lucrative career. The Boards promoted both the school -- itself as pressing institute of higher learning -- & the lucrative pressing career possibilities.

The fallacy is the attempt to make this a cart vs horse or chicken vs egg debate.

The Boards have been selling carts, horses, chickens, & eggs to the internet for years.

I know everyone is getting a well deserved laugh out of Russ's pressing video, but at least he was forthright about showing his methods.

Parhaps if folks were a little more open about how pressing is actually done, there would be a bit less controversy about the subject.

Paper conservation and restoration have been going on for ages. There's many books that teach you everything you need to know about how to press a document.

(thumbs u

Correct. Both restoration experts and even auction companies had access to this information for years. Companies like University Products even publish restoration and conservation advice in their current catalogs. This information is availaible free of charge. The conservation of paper is nothing new, however the amount of money behind it due to what is being 'conserved' is. It is a supply and demand driven marketplace.

As I have said before for those who think 'pressing' is a 'negative experience'; imagine learning that your valuable historical document from 1790 or the 1800's has been truly restored. There is very little protection to help a consumer against what has been occurring in this realm of the antiques market for some time. I understand that some will always point out a third party grading company's flaws (and none can or will ever satisfy all their critics); however be glad that the comic book collecting hobby (among others) actually has a professional thid party company in place. I know of several fellow dealers and collectors of historical documents that have been taken advantage of with little recourse available to them. Certain markets are still governed like the 'Wild West.'

Just my overstated opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

It did spread awareness that helped to create more pressers, but it wasn't the root cause.

The root cause has been money, sure. The Boards taught the world how to make those pressing dollars. No other website has been so dedicated to this curriculum.

So, many folks go to school to have a lucrative career. The Boards promoted both the school -- itself as pressing institute of higher learning -- & the lucrative pressing career possibilities.

The fallacy is the attempt to make this a cart vs horse or chicken vs egg debate.

The Boards have been selling carts, horses, chickens, & eggs to the internet for years.

You know, I am going to have to agree with you. I think the boards have shown people the path to quick cash. I'm sure the folks that were quietly printing money behind the scenes before the cat was let out of the bag were not happy.

You know, I am going to have to agree with you. I think the boards have shown people the path to quick cash. I sure the folks that were quietly printing money behind the scenes before the cat was let out of the bag were not happy.

I will admit, my first and only (thus far) pressing experience was the result of the knowledge gained on this forum. That being said, I didn't do it myself (nor would I). I used a professional and posted about the results in the appropriate sub forum. Still, it was due to this forum and the knowledge gained. That much I will gladly admit.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I fear that one day we are going to look back on these days,and remember how pressing has ruined the comic book hobby.Devaluing of books,census overloaded with high grade examples,leaving people uninterested in a value less hobby.

And people say I'm a glass half-empty kind of guy!!!

Regardelss of whether pressing is "good" or "bad" (not relevent to my post)...

I have approx. 1,000 people a week come through my shop. Except for maybe 2 or 3 people who happen to be on these boards, the number of my customers that care about pressing is exactly zero. None. Nada. Zilch.

Most don't know anything about it, but even if you explained it to them in detail they would give you a blank stare and then continue on collecting as they always have.

I'm guessing even on these boards what are there... maybe two or three dozen people that are truly upset or panicked about it. I suspect there are only a few people on the planet concerned about it that aren't on these boards. If every one of them quit collecting tomorrow, the hobby wouldn't even notice.

Again... not saying whether pressing is good or bad, not saying whether people should care or be aware of it... just saying they don't and they aren't.

Seriously... it's rather shameful the incredibly small bubble some folks on these boards live in. The hobby exists in a broad spectrum in a huge world out there. Some of you should go visit it sometime.

The pressers and pressing

kind of remind me of what happened in the Gold Rush.

middle_off.gif

Who made the most money during the Gold Rush?

It was the ones who sold the shovels,picks and pans.

shovel-pick-pan_col_L.jpg

I am sure Matt Nelson made a mint off pressing, just like the ones who sold the shovels and picks.

Who really gets rich during a gold rush?

Press your luck

Press the flesh

Pressed into service

Press Release

Meet the Press

Freedom of the press

power of the press

press your advantage

Who's the King of comic pressing?...

Elvis Pressley

Impressive comeback

;)