• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOO CGC! You bummed me out!

70 posts in this topic

Sorry about the bad grades, but use it as a learning experience. If you are expecting 9.4s and higher on books, play in the modern age books. That is the only place where you may consistently find books that are defect free enough to get those high grades. Most of the Silver Age and Bronze Age keys in this caliber already are in slabs, being pimped by BSDs on major traffic sites, or locked away forever in collections of fogies who don't know about CGC, don't care about CGC, wouldn't know what to do with an offer for slabbing if it hit them in the face, and whose heirs will sell off their "pedigree" worthy books at a quarter a piece at an estate/garage sale.

All of the books you posted have one or more severe enough defects to warrant the low grade, like that spinal tear in the WBN 32 (also some tears in the top edge and a folded color-breaking crease in the upper right corner?), the blunted spinal corners on the 7.5 Strange Tales and dings on a hard to protect dark black cover... I could go on... But yes it is a tough lesson to learn and at the high cost of slabbing, even tougher to swallow. I've had variants grade out this way, where it is otherwise a high grade book but for one or two major defects that would keep it in the mid-grade range on the label sorry.gif

locked away forever in collections of fogies who don't know about CGC, don't care about CGC, wouldn't know what to do with an offer for slabbing if it hit them in the face, and whose heirs will sell off their "pedigree" worthy books at a quarter a piece at an estate/garage sale.

Ouch! makepoint.gif

Crack all yer books outa those plastic prisons, take the empty slabs and smash 'em in an empty parking lot! You will feel a bit better! insane.gif

kinda like what people did with the Rubiks Cube eh!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know I should be thankful. There are folks in Iraq that are getting their heads chopped off. Some people have to work 3 jobs to feed 5 kids and other people are born without ears... Still, in a completely superficial way, this really got me depressed. I knew CGC was harsh, and figured that they would be fair, but the fact that I picked out what I thought was some really nice books for submission made me sad when I saw what they were judged to be. It cost a lot of money for me to get these books slabbed, and I'll definitely think twice about submitting anything in the future.

frown.giftonofbricks.gif

WDB,

Most of your books don't look undergraded to me. I'd call for the grading notes on the WWBN #32, but other than that they look like they were graded accurately.

Crack all yer books outa those plastic prisons, take the empty slabs and smash 'em in an empty parking lot! You will feel a bit better! insane.gif

kinda like what people did with the Rubiks Cube eh!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, those got m-80s or blockbusters taped to 'em and got blowed up! ...in an empty parking lot! grin.gif

Most of the Silver Age and Bronze Age keys in this caliber already are in slabs, being pimped by BSDs on major traffic sites

I respectfully disagree.

are you hoarding and hiding your own stash? remember, my catch-all option: ill-fated fogies' collections wink.gif ...it's just a generalization smile.gif

A question. If you have a book that you know won't grade real high, is it still worth sending? My example is Space Patrol #1. I know its not in good shape, but am considering sending it anyway. Would a person be better off not sending one in fair shape?

550406-sp1.JPG.92ca4338b6463cb737e3d900f5e6ddd1.JPG

Most of your books don't look undergraded to me. I'd call for the grading notes on the WWBN #32, but other than that they look like they were graded accurately.

Yeah, I'm trying to be nice about the whole ordeal, but with some of the serious defects present, I don't see anything that is out of the ordinary. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I'm trying to be nice about the whole ordeal, but with some of the serious defects present, I don't see anything that is out of the ordinary. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yep. thumbsup2.gif It's a bummer to get back books that grade lower than you expected, but I don't see any flagrant fouls here. The Batman #213 has a huge crease in the upper right quadrant, a chip out of the upper left corner, and other wear inconsistent with my understanding of a 4.5 VG+ book given the existence of these two major flaws. I actually think they OVERgraded that book, if anything.

Love this title. The first issue of Simon and Kirby reprints is one of my favorite comics EVER. How is this copy a 4.5?!? HOW?!?! BOOOO!!!!! bm1.jpg

Spine roll... gossip.gif

frown.gifflowerred.gif

If you do this youve learned nothing! Keep the books use them for a reference again if you decide to submit books. scan the books and put them up here on the boards if unsure of how they might grade and give all the facts known to you.If they are your books and ones that you really like keep them and enjoy them but learn from it!

Davidking623

If you do this youve learned nothing! Keep the books use them for a reference again if you decide to submit books. scan the books and put them up here on the boards if unsure of how they might grade and give all the facts known to you.If they are your books and ones that you really like keep them and enjoy them but learn from it!

Davidking623

Crack the books you don;t like. Keep the label with them. Call for grader notes. Examine the unslabbed books very carefully. Look at them as if you were going to buy them from a disreputable dealer known for overgrading. Compare notes to the OS Grading Guide. MAKE YOUR OWN NOTES in a notebook of what you have discovered. Contnue and soon yo will have a much better idea of what to expect and also a much better idea of what to consider inaccurate in the CGC result.

I actually think they OVERgraded that book, if anything.

BOOOOO!!!!! mad.gif

Sorry to rain on your parade... but yeah, they all look pretty accurately graded.

If you haven't picked up a grading guide, you might want to do so (or win a trivia contest.. they used to give these out for free to the winners as an option.)

Color breaking corner creases are also killers on the grading.

Sorry to rain on your parade... but yeah, they all look pretty accurately graded.

If you haven't picked up a grading guide, you might want to do so (or win a trivia contest.. they used to give these out for free to the winners as an option.)

Color breaking corner creases are also killers on the grading.

That sounded a bit condescending...

This forum, and all the great people in it, are utterly spoiled and ruined by a few evil and vile natured reprobates.I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW. GOODBYE.

Just kidding. Look, I understand that CGC had reasons for what they graded the books, and I'm not arguing with the final decisions, just deeply depressed about them and feel a little bit flamed.gif

A question. If you have a book that you know won't grade real high, is it still worth sending? My example is Space Patrol #1. I know its not in good shape, but am considering sending it anyway. Would a person be better off not sending one in fair shape?

If you are looking to sell it I probably wouldn't bother sending in that particular book.