• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOO CGC! You bummed me out!

70 posts in this topic

Just got my books back from CGC that I submitted during Wizard World Los Angeles and was really bummed out at my grades. It felt like it was back in high school when you thought you aced a test, but realized later that you had just barely passed.

I tried to pick some of the nicest copies in my collection for grading. We'll get to those in a second. I got this one that day at the convention, and was hoping for an 8.0 or 8.5: (a 7.5 still isn't bad, but you know how it is with those CREAM pages...)

st115.jpg

This one surprised me. I got it when I was a kid (used to love Moon Knight. I was a dork.). Although there is a small ding in the corner of the spine, I really think this one is better than a 7.0. So I say BOO to you, CGC!

wbn32.jpg

This Spidey Super Stories #1 is really nice. It has a small hole in the back cover, but otherwise looks like it was virtually untouched by human hands. A 6.0? BOOOO! A 6.0 Spidey Super Stories #1 is about as desirable as a broken Colecovision cartridge!

sss1.jpg

To top it off, I got a PLOD on my Defenders #2 that I had bought that day at the convention. I had no idea it had been restored, and understand this can happen some times, but a Purple Label Defenders #2 is enough to bum anyone out: d2plod.jpg

I know I should be thankful. There are folks in Iraq that are getting their heads chopped off. Some people have to work 3 jobs to feed 5 kids and other people are born without ears... Still, in a completely superficial way, this really got me depressed. I knew CGC was harsh, and figured that they would be fair, but the fact that I picked out what I thought was some really nice books for submission made me sad when I saw what they were judged to be. It cost a lot of money for me to get these books slabbed, and I'll definitely think twice about submitting anything in the future.

frown.giftonofbricks.gif

I think we all overgrade our own books...I did the same with my first submissions... heck I was even wishing for a 10.0 on one book (came back a 9.8...not to shabby though! thumbsup2.gif)

Buck up...at least you got the books back! grin.gif

Love the BLACK MAGIC cover.

I'm sort of a strict grader, so I find these to be accurate. But I can understand your disappointment. I have a real sweet SHAZAM! #1 that I've been thinking of having slabbed, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed too, so I'm holding off.

I think the BATMAN Giant should have graded higher.

Oh man, talk about a Bad Grading Day.

Most of the "lower than expected grades" can be put off to the presence of one very significant defect, and likely CGC limiting it because of that.

Plus, they're notoriously tough on some issues, and I had a WBN 32 CGC 8.5 that looked a whole lot better than most 9.0's I've seen. But what can you do?

Why are you complaining....you have some rather nice copies of a some nice books. The grades you got look pretty accurate. You gotta learn to leave a little room for interpretation in the grading. Being off by a grade or two isn't a major deal, especially on mid-grade books. Enjoy them. thumbsup2.gif

sorry about your bad grading day. I got back a PLOD and a 6.5 and 7.0 among my first order. Take JC's advice, and use these examples to compare against any future submission. On the bright side, you didn't have to wait 4 months to find out the grades. Now go back to your raw collection and regrade appropriately. Don't forget to play the grading game we will be having shortly in the grading section. Practice makes perfect!!

Why are you complaining....you have some rather nice copies of a some nice books. The grades you got look pretty accurate. You gotta learn to leave a little room for interpretation in the grading. Being off by a grade or two isn't a major deal, especially on mid-grade books. Enjoy them. thumbsup2.gif

Well, the Strange Tales #115 is pretty accurate, but some of the other titles might as well be unslabbed readers. I feel like the only reason to slab cheaper books like Black Magic #1 or Spidey Super Stories is if you have exceptional copies, and I really thought I did! frown.gif