• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Bronze Cover Scams

39 posts in this topic

What the hell is Namor wearing??? blush.gif

He was exposed to a chemical which made it impossible for him to breath underwater. Mr. Fantastic fashioned this suit to solve the problem. After a few issues, the suit went away because the side effect of the chemical he was exposed to wore off.

I actually like this costume better than the green shorts...... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

551084-SubMariner-Buscema.gif

551084-SubMariner-Buscema.gif.a194450042ae164f01586ad8fd63e648.gif

I just read Ultimate FF #6 that has a Sue Storm head shot cover (she is the only thing on the cover) yet she doesn't appear in so much as one panel in the book.

I just read Ultimate FF #6 that has a Sue Storm head shot cover (she is the only thing on the cover) yet she doesn't appear in so much as one panel in the book.

She's there, she's just...(dare I say it)...invisible! stooges.gif

I know this post doesn't belong in a Bronze Thread, but I agree. This happened for Ultimate Spider-Man recently as well. The first two covers for the Carnage story arc had NOTHING to do with Carnage whatsoever.

He was exposed to a chemical which made it impossible for him to breath underwater. Mr. Fantastic fashioned this suit to solve the problem. After a few issues, the suit went away because the side effect of the chemical he was exposed to wore off.

Herb, tell me you read this story arc recently, or that you have a photo memory - thats pretty impressive lol. I can barly remember what happens in my fav books from month to month now. Hmmm.....

And ya JC I think that this is a common ploy that, as this thread has illustrated still goes on. I dont even get pissed off anymore and halfway expect alot of covers to be misleading.

JC, if you feel like getting a back issue that actually does have a great Spidey/Namor battle, I'd recommend this one:

AmazingSpiderman_211.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. You inspired me to re-read ASM#210 and 211 last night. The beginning of John Romita Jr.'s first run on the title. Great books. cloud9.gif

JC, if you feel like getting a back issue that actually does have a great Spidey/Namor battle, I'd recommend this one:

AmazingSpiderman_211.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. You inspired me to re-read ASM#210 and 211 last night. The beginning of John Romita Jr.'s first run on the title. Great books. cloud9.gif

My daughter, who is 4, said, "Look! Its Underpants Guy!"

Was Mr Fantastic in his "experimental years" then? How did Sue take it?

In the Butt? confused-smiley-013.gif

there's ton of mystery/horror books where the artist provides his "loose" interpretation of a story--sometimes even introducing characters/situations not present in the story. Generally the artist's version provides a more dramatic moment, obviously to entice buyers to pick up a copy.

For example, the story "The Demon Within" is about a boy with abilities that his parent's cannot accept; here Kaluta draws a girl with a demon. Neither are present in the story. Just an example.

B3111201.JPG

That reminds me of a conversation I had with Russ Heath about Atlas books. He said that in the 50s, Marvel would give you a tag-line and nothing else for you to draw the cover. So the artist would have to make a cover based solely on the title of an interior story. So naturally, a lot of atlas horror stories are nothing like the covers.

AmazingSpiderman_211.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Donut, you're not supposed to go around the house half-naked once your kids are able to speak complete sentences. 893naughty-thumb.gif That is tantamount to child abuse.

I know its a late Silver Age book, but I remember being very disappointed with the story in Tales of Suspense 98. CAP VS...THE PANTHER. The cover drew me in. A good contest I thought. They did meet in the book but I have forgotten what happened except that I was not impressed at the time - CAP may have thrown a wet lettuce.

Alan

CAP may have thrown a wet lettuce.

Heh...it might have been a half-eaten head of cabbage wink.gif

Superman 317 has got to be my #1 choice...ah Neal Adams, arguably the best at pitching covers.

AmazingSpiderman_211.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Rumor has it that was exactly what Bill Everett had in mind when he created him...