• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J.I.M. 103..... grade this!!

32 posts in this topic

Actually I thought the overhang does break color and given the number of spine stresses I had to give it a 7.5. Other wise the cover is in very good shape.

While I can't be certain that the overhang doesn't break color, any significant bend in a book will cause the scanner to reflect the light in a way that seems like a color break.

Nice book, Bag Man! Hard to say because of the heavy compression, but my guess is about 7.5, give or take .5. thumbsup2.gif

Just saw the back cover scan, and I agree (again). Damn Nikos and UV to making both of us team captains! 893frustrated.gif

Why do I get no respect? tonofbricks.gif

Nice book, Bag Man! Hard to say because of the heavy compression, but my guess is about 7.5, give or take .5. thumbsup2.gif

Just saw the back cover scan, and I agree (again). Damn Nikos and UV to making both of us team captains! 893frustrated.gif

Why do I get no respect? tonofbricks.gif

Because you're an Angels fan? confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gifstooges.gif'

EDIT - That's ok, Peter, I don't get any respect either...

From what I can see, I think it's an 8.5 to 9.0.

Now I have a tendency on theses boards to overgrade a notch or two, not because I'm an overgrader, but because I only grade based on what I can see (and don't assume any other defects).

From what I can tell, the book has several very light spine stress lines (but none look to be very long or deep) The overhang bends but does not seem to break color, therefore I don't believe CGC would downgrade for this (I have seen much worse looking overhangs on 9.2 books). The corners look sharp.

The back cover has a blemish? which if it's a tear, would cause me to downgrade the book a little more. Realize in general, the back cover has very little effect on the grade, unless it's significantly worse than the front. I seen / have many 9.2 and 9.4 books that clear have more wear on the back cover than the front.

Am I missing something, that the 7.5 graders see?

I am not a hard 7.0 to 7.5'er. I am saying I think it is at least 7.0 to 7.5, but that without a back cover scan and without a clearer scan of the front, it's too hard to tell whether what look like multiple stress lines on the spine are just a couple of stress lines plus scanner artifacting. Also, I'd like a clearer view of the top edge and the LLC of the front cover. I can't give a book an 8.5 based on a fuzzy scan though. confused-smiley-013.gif Too tough to see fine detail that is very relevant in that grade and above. That's why I said "I think it's at least 7.0 to 7.5" (because I can't see any larger defects that would usually take it lower than those grades), but didn't give a high end grade.

7.0/7.5.

I agree with ya..Ucla

Depending on how the Top Edge overhang gets downgraded.. there are enough small problems with the book to keep it in 7.0 range...7.5 tops..

The Back cover tells alot.... that lower bottom edge, is that a cover only crease?.. or does it affect inside comic, or is it just a dust shadow?

And the outer edge on BC.. is that a small tear?.. or just a 1/4 " dirt smudge?

Still a very nice comic.. but I sent in a ASM #17 that looked to me , better then this.. JIM , and it came back 7.0

So good luk.. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Z.