• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9000th Post-Comics and Everyday Life?

40 posts in this topic

Congrats Pov!

How about Cain & Abel from HOM & HOS. People all over the world talk about him Killing Abel & being thrown out of the garden of eden and stuff....

You know, Shiv. I thin you gave a PERFECT example of the "cart before the horse" = it should be put in grammars all over the world! You BETCHA! thumbsup2.gif

Man it came on me almost unawares but - this be my 9,000th post and want to ask a question.

How many instances of comics impacting our day to day life can you think of?

For example, I can think of two offhand: Bizarro and Kryptonite.

"Spidey Sense" is a common term.. probably entrenched in our minds as kids from when we watched Electric Company.

Adamantium is now also a common term. Some people even thinks it exists...

The Super Soldier serum (Captain America) is also a common type of serum now in various movies and science fiction stories.

And finally, how many kids are there named "Logan" these days.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

dude, what world do you live in? The spidey sense maybe, but Adamantium and super soldier serum, no way. Logan was a boys name before Wolverine was around, not to mention most people probably would know that was his name.

dude, what world do you live in? The spidey sense maybe, but Adamantium and super soldier serum, no way. Logan was a boys name before Wolverine was around, not to mention most people probably would know that was his name.

Apparently, I live in a world where a) I'm better informed than you are or b) I'm exposed to more popular culture than you are. Take your pick. insane.gif

A quick look on google brings up 41,800 hits on the word Adamantium. It brings up references to Adamantium armor in the Elder Scrolls, a popular RPG game, the name of a women's nude Website, Adamantium lyrics, a font named Adamantium, the name of a rock band, etc. etc.

If you were to do a search for Vibranium, another popular metal, google will only turn up 1490 hits.

If you were to do a search on the popularity of Logan as a boy's name, you would see this:

http://www.thenamemachine.com/babynames/result.cfm?Name=Logan&Gender=Male&View=long

Now, maybe that was also attributed to Logan's Run or some other factor. But the use of that name DID skyrocket in the 80's and 90's. (And it's probably even higher today.)

Logan_male_Long.jpg

The term "Super Soldier" has also entered the national lexicon.

Washington Post headline:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A15185-2003Jan19&notFound=true

Many Layers To Building A Super Soldier

MIT Project Seeks to Outfit Fighter With Nanotechnology

It's part of the RPG War of Conquest:

http://warofconquest.com/techs/tech_185.htm

Business Week

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_30/b3843083.htm

Special Forces Website

http://www.specialforces.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SFG&Product_Code=A01044T

Also a plot element in television shows like Stargate and X-Files.

Movies like Universal Soldier, Kurt Russell's Soldier movie, etc.

Okay..this one is stretching it...I admit. 27_laughing.gif

While you are very adapt at searching the internet for your alleged pop culture references. Go out on the street and ask 10 people what adamantium or a super soldier serum is. I doubt if they will know unless they read comics. Despite what your google tells you. These very same people who you believe will know what adamantium is, couldn't even tell you how long a Congressional term is.

Nice world you live in. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Didn't someone mention Bizarro-world. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Must be a lot of Kyle Rayner fans out there also.

Kyle_male_Long.jpg

Hmm. There seems to be a short circuit in your logic. The name Kyle has been steadily increasing but also plateauing for the last 3 decades. Kyle became Green Lantern about 10 years ago... precisely during this plateau.

So there's no sudden increase in the usage of the name "Kyle."

Nice graph though. Unfortunately, it only makes my example look that much better.

There is some validity to the claim that children's names are influenced by popular culture and current events. For example, in the 90's there probably was a corresponding increase in the female name "Chelsea."

My name is Logan and I was born in the late 70's, so I feel I can speak on this subject... I've met ONE Logan older (MUCH older) than me and it was actually his middle name. I've known of ONE Logan less than five years younger than me... and then came the billions of NEW Logans in the last ten years.

It used to be nice, going to the store, before EVERY mother was shouting "LOGAN! NO!" and "LOGAN! GET OVER HERE!"... I'm developing a complex.

It's particularly rough with people deciding that "Logan" is a unisex name. (And, interestingly, people have STOPPED asking me what my "first name" is after I tell them my name is "Logan.")

Damn people.

There are 7 people with my name (Allan) (out of 10 million) currently in my country...

Upsides are that I always get to have firstname@provider.be as an email address...

People always remember my name, and I never have to use my last name...

Downside is that I have to repeat my name at least 3times the first time I mention it to somebody. NOBODY know how to write it correctly, I always have to spell it and then ask to see it as most people then still get it wrong.

Almost everyone asks me why I have a girl's name.... (Ellen is pretty popular over here and is pronounced just like Allan is in the US) confused-smiley-013.gif

Almost everyone asks me why I have a girl's name.... (Ellen is pretty popular over here and is pronounced just like Allan is in the US) confused-smiley-013.gif

893whatthe.gif

Alan (seriously starting to consider going by his middle name from now on! insane.gif)

As usual this has deteriorated so I will add another common comic book term: SHAZAM.

Now the whole thing here is it doesn;t make any difference if people know WHAT the word originally means. What I am going for is, if the word is used in regular conversation, would it make sense?

I seriously doubt the majority of people who know the word Bizaro also know it came from Superman. But they DO know it means something that is skewed from our reality. Similarly, I doubt many would be able to say whyat SHAZAM stands for, or even who Billy Batson is. Still the word lives on in common useage.