• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the BEST year for comics

23 posts in this topic

just curious about everyones favorite year in the silver age.either when you were a kid,or reading back issues,what time period just had SO many cross overs,cliff hangers and plot twists that you couldnt wait to get to the next issues and please give storyline examples.

Hard to beat 1966

FF 46-58 (especially: 48-50, 52, 52, 55 ,57,58)

ASM 32-44 (especially: 39 and 40)

Tales to Astonish in the 70s were some of the best stuff

-Stubby was just getting started and the Hulk's ID is made public (issue 77)

Others can tune in on the other titles. smile.gif

just curious about everyones favorite year in the silver age.either when you were a kid,or reading back issues,what time period just had SO many cross overs,cliff hangers and plot twists that you couldnt wait to get to the next issues and please give storyline examples.

No particular reason why but it seems like almost all of my favorite covers of the silver age are from 1964.

Eric

1966 it is, Aces. Of course, that's the year I bought my first Marvels. Stan, Jack, Steve, John, Gene, Don (I know, I know) and company were really hitting their stride. Good to be a kid, with $2.00 in his pocket, more than enough to buy the entire Marvel lineup each month.

Since I'm more of a Bronze Age kinda guy, my choice would be late in the Silver Age: 1968.

You have:

- Steranko Nick Fury

- Adams Brave & Bold, Deadman, Spectre

- Kubert Enemy Ace

- Ditko Creeper and Hawk & Dove

- the first couple of Bat Lash, by O'Neil, Cardy, Aragones & co

- Buscema Silver Surfer

- early Skeates/Aparo Aquaman

- Nick Cardy really starting to shine on Teen Titans

- first post-code horror comics toe-in-the-water with House of Mystery

...heck, I even prefer the late Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four to the early-to-mid-60s FF! thumbsup2.gif

My personal fave - 1966 !!!! Like Redhook said, I was buying them off the newstands then & still remember the excitement of FF# 57-60, Spidey # 39, etc, Just a great year in my childhood!!!! cloud9.gif

That is such a tough question. I think it's much easier to break it down by companies.

Early '60s has classic Archie books (probably the high point of SA Archie) as well as the end of Carl Barks' run on Uncle Scrooge.

Mid '60s has the peak of SA Marvel characters/storylines as many have pointed out already.

Late '60s has great DC work by Adams, Ditko, Wrightson, etc.

If I had to pick one period, I think I would go with Zonker on '68.

1977...the year Fantastic Four Annual #12 was published. "Fury in the Stars" was the first comic book I read that made me look for a comic book store (as opposed to the local grocery store).

1968 from a publishing standpoint...STERANKO! thumbsup2.gif

For me, SA DC peaks between mid-63 and mid-64. When I re-read runs, I see a steady increase in quality before this and a steady decrease in quality afterwards. The decrease seemed to happen at a far quicker rate though and I find by the time of the Go-Go checks, most of the books were unreadable. Innocence seems to be a large part of the joy of DC's to me and try as they might, they failed dismally to be hip!

I guess this mid-60's period is when Marvel probably peaked. I don't have the issues anymore so don't really know the years, but FF around 40-60, Thors around 140-160, Thomas/Buscema Avengers, Steranko on Nick Fury, that sort of thing. I expect that someone will now tell me that they all came out at different times!

i'm having a tough time deciding between 1961 and 1962.

1961: Flash #123 introduces the concept of an alternate universe where the GA DC heroes live - an idea that will prove to be enormously popular for decades to come.

The Fantastic Four is born in issue #1.

DC's Golden age heroes Hawkman and the Atom get their new SA incarnations in issues of Brave and Bold/Showcase #'s 34.

pretty impressive, but oh that 1962:

In FF#4 the Sub Mariner is re-introduced into the SA. in issue #5 perhaps the greatest villain of alltime is intro'd; Doctor Doom.

Spider-man is born in Amazing Fantasy #15.

The Hulk is born in his own comic.

Thor is born in Journey into Mystery #83.

there was more happening in each year, but those are the HIGHLIGHTS thumbsup2.gif

the very NEWNESS of each of these concepts/characters made waiting for the next issues tough.

1961: Flash #123 introduces the concept of an alternate universe where the GA DC heroes live - an idea that will prove to be enormously popular for decades to come.

893naughty-thumb.gif

ok - you got me confused - what is wrong with that statement?? as i recall, i believe i'm paraphrasing something i read somewhere years ago. are you disagreeing with my take on the JSA's subsequent popularity?? confused.gif