• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Question For Buyers

23 posts in this topic

It drives me nuts when I see absurd "Buy it now" prices but I want to know if when you see "A reserve" on a comic, do you even bother placing a bid or do you just float on by like I do muttering to myself?

Saw one a year or so back that ran "Yeah, I'm starting the bidding at $0.99 to generate some bidding interest because the flea market mentality bidders here totally snub a $100 (item) with a perfectly reasonable opening bid of $40... and I have protected this $100 fair market value (item) with a reasonable reserve of $60 just so I don't screw myself on the sale"

Yeah, I bid on it. :grin:

Of course I'll place a bid if it's a book I want. I'll bid what I'm willing to pay, and if I don't meet the reserve then so be it. I don't see the problem in bidding on auctions with reserves on them, it takes a few seconds and you lose nothing.

Of course I'll place a bid if it's a book I want. I'll bid what I'm willing to pay, and if I don't meet the reserve then so be it. I don't see the problem in bidding on auctions with reserves on them, it takes a few seconds and you lose nothing.

Great minds and all that :whee:

Great minds and all that :whee:

:banana:

Hey, i have no problem with a reasonable reserve but 99% are not. We have all seen books end at decent fair prices to only to not hit the reserve. It's a waste of time just even having it in my watch column.

I've heard sellers say that you don't make as much on an auction if you put a reserve on it.

In my experience, every single time I've ever listed a book with no reserve, I've been raked over the coals with the poor price.

On occasion I have something that doesn't meet the reserve price, but I'm ok with not giving them away.

I sold one on eBay about 6 months ago without a reserve just to give it another shot. I got about half of what it should have sold for.

Never again. I'm finished with no reserve selling.

I don't bid on comics with a reserve. When I first starting buying comics on ebay, I used to bid on them. Twice I ended up as the top bidder on one of my personal grail books, but since the reserve wasn't met either time, I didn't get either of them. It's frustrating, so I don't bother.

Plus, one of the reasons I personally buy on ebay is to get good deals. If I want to pay full book or retail price on a comic I just order it from some established dealer that has one for sale and I don't have to worry about potential ebay shenanigans.

Go to any decent cgc comic and look at what a few of them actually sell for in completed auctions. Then look at those same completed auctions for the book and look at what the buy it nows are with reserves were that went unsold. Just seems like the seller wants to get lucky and do not wat to sell the book. The problem is that there are tons of these on there and it just sucks to spend time scrolling for nothing.

I have bid on books that showed "reserve not met," and I have lost them to higher bidders, who often still did not meet the reserve. I know how much I'm willing to pay. The buyer knows how much he or she is willing to accept. Sometimes we don't make a connection on the price, and that's okay with both of us. :)

Twice I ended up as the top bidder on one of my personal grail books, but since the reserve wasn't met either time, I didn't get either of them. It's frustrating, so I don't bother.

Yep. That's happened to me so many times in the past 14 years of being on Ebay, I simply don't even look at auctions with reserves.

+1. Just set a minimum bid price instead of using a hidden reserve. It wastes less time.

Note that using a reserve requires two people to value your book highly for it to sell, while a minimum bid price only requires one.

Hey, i have no problem with a reasonable reserve but 99% are not. We have all seen books end at decent fair prices to only to not hit the reserve. It's a waste of time just even having it in my watch column.

I agree and nothing more annoying than the seller who is listing an auction with no reserve doesn't like the price the item is at and ends the auction early. I've watched too many auctions where this has happened.