• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the one book you miss ever letting go?
1 1

109 posts in this topic

Batman #62, that's my rosebud.

Back in '88 when I was about 16/17 I was on this kick for Conan comics, #1 was my current grail at the time. My LCS had finally posted a copy of #1 and #2 on the wall and I actually had them at the register, but was debating because I was a condition freak and they weren't quit as nearminty as I would have liked. The sales person suggested 'you know, if you're going to invest that kind of money, you might want to consider this Batman #62" She pulled it off the wall and it was a very nice, old book. Figured, yeah I like Batman, why not? Paid $70 for it. :o

It was a sweet copy, probably at least a VF/VF+. The problem was that at that age and point in my collecting experience, I didn't fully appreciate what I had: a double digit issue of Batman, a pre-code issue, origin of a popular villain, rare high-grade condition.

When I got out of comics around '92 the value had more than quadrupled. I traded it to a friend of mine for a couple of minty carded Mego Star Trek figures. :facepalm:

After I got back into collecting comics again around 2000, for a long time that loss dogged me. I mean, at this point an identical copy is hopelessly beyond my reach. I often found myself trying to duplicate that kind of acquisition, but finally had to come to terms with the fact that nothing like that's gonna happen again.

I just have to comfort myself with the fact that while it's a really cool, valuable key, I really didn't have any sentimental attachment to it. Still, I think about it every once in awhile and kick myself all over again.

As an aside: I know longer have the Trek figures that I traded for either, and while I do love those Megos, they can be easily had for half of what I traded for. :cry:

I once owned a Captain America 78,last golden age age Cap.I traded it back in 1979 for an Avengers 1 in vg-fn. I've never found a copy I could afford. I talked to Metropolis last year about their "Super Soldier" copy in 5.0 for 1500 just could not bring myself to pay 2x guide for it just because Romita signed it. I don't care for autographs on the cover. I think it mars the book.

Edited by Texas Collector

I purchased a low grade Amazing Man #26 at a local flea market with a few other golden age books for $100. I ended up selling it to a friend for $400 who really wanted it. He had it graded. It came back 2.0 and then he sold it on eBay for close to $6,000. That one stung......

I purchased a low grade Amazing Man #26 at a local flea market with a few other golden age books for $100. I ended up selling it to a friend for $400 who really wanted it. He had it graded. It came back 2.0 and then he sold it on eBay for close to $6,000. That one stung......

doh!

Was there a twenty year gap in between you buying the book and him selling it?

Otherwise, he isn't your friend.

:sick:

Was there a twenty year gap in between you buying the book and him selling it?

Otherwise, he isn't your friend.

yeah, hopefully there was at least a few years there in between......

Ouch. All my regrets are monetary, not because I miss the comic.

Ouch. All my regrets are monetary, not because I miss the comic.

Now see, we'd be great pals 'cause I'm the exact opposite.

Although I sure could use the $$$ value of my original comic collection, honestly, I'd MUCH rather have the books back in my possession.

What I sold off back in 1980 when I was 18 was the product of a decade of serious collecting. 3500 comics that included complete or near complete runs of FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS, THE X-MEN, DAREDEVIL, HULK, IRON MAN, GREEN LANTERN, SWAMP THING, LUKE CAGE & so many others it boggles my mind now thinking back to what I'd owned. But, back then throughout the '70s, there were plenty of great deals available for books that are near priceless now & my parents we fully supportive of my hobby.

Hell, believe it or not, back in the early to mid '70s I ( as well as a whole lot of other collectors ) routinely turned my nose up at a copy of 'TEC #27 that they had at a local shop because although it was in really nice shape, it happened to have half of it's cover clipped off. So, $75 was just too much for it!

Anyhow, back to my collection, when I felt that I'd "outgrown" comics & decided to sell my collection off before going to college, I didn't take my time with it. I just made the decision, called up a couple of dealers & took the best offer.

And yeah, I realized what a mistake I'd made pretty damned quickly.

The part of my collection that I missed the most though?

The title that a just couple of days later I distinctly remember waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I'd just been punched in the stomach over?

My AMAZING SPIDER-MAN run.

It wasn't complete, but it was my absolute favorite. I had from #6 to #203.

And, after taking 30 years to finally get over the loss of my collection, I just woke up one day & decided to start from scratch & begin collecting comics again in 2010.

And, ASM soon became my chief focus just like in the good ol' days. Only at the moment, I'm just working my way back toward a run of #200 to present/this month's forthcoming #700.

What I sold off back in 1980 when I was 18 was the product of a decade of serious collecting. 3500 comics that included complete or near complete runs of FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS, THE X-MEN, DAREDEVIL, HULK, IRON MAN, GREEN LANTERN, SWAMP THING, LUKE CAGE & so many others it boggles my mind now thinking back to what I'd owned. But, back then throughout the '70s, there were plenty of great deals available for books that are near priceless now & my parents we fully supportive of my hobby.

Hell, believe it or not, back in the early to mid '70s I ( as well as a whole lot of other collectors ) routinely turned my nose up at a copy of 'TEC #27 that they had at a local shop because although it was in really nice shape, it happened to have half of it's cover clipped off. So, $75 was just too much for it!

Anyhow, back to my collection, when I felt that I'd "outgrown" comics & decided to sell my collection off before going to college, I didn't take my time with it. I just made the decision, called up a couple of dealers & took the best offer.

And yeah, I realized what a mistake I'd made pretty damned quickly.

The part of my collection that I missed the most though?

The title that a just couple of days later I distinctly remember waking up in the middle of the night feeling like I'd just been punched in the stomach over?

My AMAZING SPIDER-MAN run.

It wasn't complete, but it was my absolute favorite. I had from #6 to #203.

And, after taking 30 years to finally get over the loss of my collection, I just woke up one day & decided to start from scratch & begin collecting comics again in 2010.

And, ASM soon became my chief focus just like in the good ol' days. Only at the moment, I'm just working my way back toward a run of #200 to present/this month's forthcoming #700.

It's an inevitable part of a comic collector's personal history that when you reach college age you throw your collection away for a pittance as you either need the money or see the act of dumping your childhood treasures as a rite of passage.

Then comes the seller's remorse, the extended period away from the hobby (despite feeling the occasional need to go back to it) and finally, when you're more solvent and considerably older, the return. I didn't purchase or read a comic from the mid 80s to the early 90s. Not as long as your hiatus, but still a time when I never thought I'd get back into the hobby.

Glad I took that breather though, despite the opportunity to buy high grade silver during the 1980s lull.

So many regrets, but these two stand out as they are really rare(especially the Science 2).

622528-wonderworld.jpg

If you sold this on ebay back in the early-mid 2000s, I was the buyer....

...and I was an underbidder... lol

I have never sold a comic book that I didn't already have a higher-graded copy of, so I'm unable to relate to this thread. :blush: I hang onto most of my upgraded-from copies as well...it's a weakness. I'm planning to move from the 2800 square foot house I live alone in now to my girlfriend's 1500 square foot house in the city within the next year, so I'll probably have to break the ice and sell some stuff between now and then, not enough room for a ton of longboxes over there. :ohnoez: Or I can just rent some storage space until we find a bigger house in the city, or even ask my dad to use an empty room in his house for a while, haven't decided yet. I probably should get rid of the 1980-up stuff I've already read, that'd probably solve all my space issues. hm