• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics worth re-reading on a regular basis

57 posts in this topic

I tend not to stray too far from the comic art threads, but lately I have been thinking about diving in the long boxes again. I regularly re-read certain things, and have the itch to do so again lately. So my question is: what comics do you find hold up to repeated reading? Here are some of mine off the top of my head.

Sandman, the whole thing

Starman, the whole thing

The Golden Age by James Robinson and Paul Smith

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? by Alan Moore and Curt Swan

Swamp Thing, the Alan Moore issues (or the ones I have in reprints specifically - the underwater vampire issue has been on my mind and really started this current desire to re-read)

Watchmen

DD, the Born Again issues

While I have not done so yet, Hellboy is going to get the treatment once I locate the 2 or 3 issues not in the box. Where did they go? Being 46 and having thousands of comics can get a bit overwhelming

What about you?

Batman Killing joke

Batman Hush

Killing Joke yes. Hush I need to re-read as it did nothing for me the first time round.

I'd add:

Gotham by Gaslight

Punisher Limited Series

Preacher (at least #1 - #4)

Batman #516 - #522

The Walking Dead (#1 - #48. Your mileage may vary)

Just about all of the EC Horror, Crime and Science Fiction books.

+1,000,000

Just noticed the Swamp Thing love in the first two posts didn't include the Wrightson run of the '72 series (though the Moore run is righteous as hell, indeed) and wanna add my (thumbs u to the Berni issues.

Batman Killing joke

Batman Hush

Killing Joke yes. Hush I need to re-read as it did nothing for me the first time round.

Hush, for me is a good story but I'm a big Jim Lee fan so that is probably the main draw. I've read it 3 times this year. I guess that's not a regular basis but I like it.

Thanks everyone so far! A few of those I have and you guys are right, I need to break them out again. Meltdown for instance, and All-Star Supes. Hush also did nothing for me, but I got time so maybe it will hit next time. Many of these I want but don;t have - Xenozoic Tales for instance. And my EC exposure will start when I read my Wood IDW AE and when I get the EC AE eventually.

What else?

Just about all of the EC Horror, Crime and Science Fiction books.

+1,000,000

Just noticed the Swamp Thing love in the first two posts didn't include the Wrightson run of the '72 series (though the Moore run is righteous as hell, indeed) and wanna add my (thumbs u to the Berni issues.

....yup, comics were never the same after Berni came to town. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I know there aren't many Manga fans here but I always have Hiroaki Samura's "Blade of the immortal" on the go, I finish it, then start again. If you're even thinking about a Japanese book, this is where you start (thumbs u

Well, I do re-read Lone Wolf & Cub. I also have the Akira collections but have no re-read them as of yet. We shouldn't discount manga for manga's sake, but yes even I do it. Consider BotI on my list now. Who knows when, but I will keep an eye out for a bargain and start.