• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Ever Disaster-type Rude Seller

12 posts in this topic

I have patiently been waiting for this moment. The time when a seller would be so rude and obnoxious as to warrant shock. I recently purchased a wraparound chromium-covered comic, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63767&item=2253751823, and the shipping was advertised as standard shipping. I previously had a bried discussion about sellers stating standard shipping and then send the item media mail. Sure enough, my $3 standard shipping turned out to be $1.42 media mail, which is an option that he did not use in his Shipping and Payment Details section. Anyway, the corner of the package was smashed and this seller elected to send the comic w/o out board. Argh! I questioned the seller about it and received some brutal emails in return. This seller has thousands of feedbacks so this was no rookie mistake. If he/she is a board member, no doubt they will come calling.

MY LAST EMAIL: I should have simply paid more attention to your feedback, which is under %96. Cut outs from magazines and selling them as prints should have given it away.

HIS REPLY: wow you're just full of [!@#%^&^] aren't you...now you're person_without_enough_empathying about [!@#%^&^]

that has nothing to do with you...

anything else?

I left negative feedback and naturally, the seller did the same, even though I paid promptly. Who else has seen this? And, what does "standard shipping" mean? I think Ebay should remove that as an option.

One of the only negs I have handed out on ebay was to this guy last year. He strung me along saying he was going to send an $18 hardcover - which he never did. Interestingly enough, he did not neg me back. Guilt?

And yes, his big moneymaker seems to be selling posters out of Wizard as "Prints." A nice profit considering how much those Wizard poster mags go for added to his shipping overcharging. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Total person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

edited for spelling

Well , I dont really think overpaying $1.58 for an Ebay shipping transaction is that out of the ordinary.And anytime you see $3 shipping fees.. it is never going to be sent priority.. or rarely in a box.

Shipping and Handling all fall under a very loose translation.

He stated up front Standard shipping was $3.. not at all out of line for 1 comic.

Did you ask him/Email him about this before payment was sent?

And specify the comic be sent in a Hard Box?.. and you would pay extra for that service?

And did you look at his 75 negs in the past 12 months?

I still dont think the $3 was at all out of line to ship a comic.. He as a seller had to pay for envelope.. and time spent packing and mailing the item...his $3 fee is not just for the exact postage fees.. it covers his handling fee also.

If he charged $8 to ship.. and you got it sent Media Mail.. then I could understand your frustration.

But as you listed in your post.. you left him a neg.. I dont think it was at all worth your trouble to leave him bad feed back..he did what he stated he would.. send it out in his "standard shipping method for $3"

To complain to a seller after the fact is kinda pointless.. unless you asked specifically the comic be mailed in a box, and it was not, and this seller sounds like hes just out to move comics.. and has no concern about customer satisfaction..

I do though feel your pain.. no one likes to see a comic damaged in the mail.. so I learned along time ago to ask how shipping will be made.. and request a hard box with boards everytime.

Z

Sounds logical Ze-Man. I "kinda" figured it would be sent parcel post. The shipping charges do not bother me as much as the rudeness. Plus, this was a chromium wraparound cover. How could anyone send that w/o a board? And his packaging consisted of a piece of thin cardboard, which when wrapped around the comic, presses on the sides. ???

Oh well, lesson learned and thanks for the advice. I have been burned twice by that media mail [!@#%^&^]. The other time involved the Venom: Lethal Protector black cover. It just returned from CGC w/ a 7.5 grading. No doubt this was due to the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who packaged it poorly when it was NM. It arrived with a bent corner. I digress.

His feedback was a dead giveaway although the recent ones occurred after our auction. And no, I did not inquire about shipping, packaging, etc.. before the auction ended.

Indeed, probably my fault.

I did not mean to come down on ya earlier..... I just have a stack of comics that were damaged in the mail from Ebay buys, and its a hot topic for me.

Mostly from sellers who pocketed my shipping fee.. and sent it out in a non stiff.. non padded mailer..

And a few of these were for decent comics.

I have many VF/NM comics that have a blunted corner.. or spine crease due to improper shipping.

(and mailcarrier overstuffing his mailbag abuse)

So buyer beware.. never assume a seller will ship things how you want them to be shipped.. even if you ask them point blank.

It is still a [!@#%^&^] shoot at best.. so when a seller takes the time and does it right.. or better yet goes overboard.. and eats the cost to ship it correctly, tell them how happy you are..and will buy from them again, they like to hear it, since they obviously do care, and want your return biz.

Better luk next time.

Z

Standard shipping means the seller offers an upgrade. This seller offered and upgrade to priority for $5.00.

$3.00 for shipping media mail is not out of line and the amount was clearly stated (although not the shipping method)

No board was offered. Sure for a $12.00 comic he could of sprung for the nickel board, but it wasn't offered.

Poor packaging though and no offer of resolution just sucks! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Paying $3.00 for media mail leaves enough extra for the time and attention it takes to toss a couple of pieces of rigid cardboard in to protect the comic.

Bottom line is your experience was what his feedback should have prepared you for. That is a lot of red!

Feedback Score: 3465

Positive Feedback: 95.7%

Members who left a positive: 3625

Members who left a negative: 162

All positive feedback received: 4978

He even has "RUDe" in his eBay name!

(cut out of a comic book and sold as a print, nice guy) 893frustrated.gif

Taste,

I just checked in setting up an auction's shipping options. When a seller wants to provide flat costs to buyers, "standard shipping service" appears on the drop down menu right above "expedited shipping service", so if you win such an auction you will get a slower (relative to 'expedited' I guess) service available. I don't agree with it either.

I use the option that brings up the rate calculator and specifically states USPS media mail or USPS prioirty mail, etc...when you use the rate calculator, the generic "standard shipping" or "expedited shipping" options are not on the drop down.

A quick note: in my opinion, I would've never offered a "low cost" shipping option if keeping the book in the stated condition was important. If he were seller junky readers--fine. It sounds like he had other shipping options (going by previous poster), so...

Tasteof8red: As you stated, feedback is marginal at best. Heed's Zonkers advice: ask BEFORE you bid. Cheap lesson at $12.

As far as being rude, some sellers reciprocate what they are given. Doesn't justify bad customer service, though. Just a thought.

Sounds logical Ze-Man. I "kinda" figured it would be sent parcel post. The shipping charges do not bother me as much as the rudeness. Plus, this was a chromium wraparound cover. How could anyone send that w/o a board? And his packaging consisted of a piece of thin cardboard, which when wrapped around the comic, presses on the sides. ???

Oh well, lesson learned and thanks for the advice. I have been burned twice by that media mail [!@#%^&^]. The other time involved the Venom: Lethal Protector black cover. It just returned from CGC w/ a 7.5 grading. No doubt this was due to the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who packaged it poorly when it was NM. It arrived with a bent corner. I digress.

His feedback was a dead giveaway although the recent ones occurred after our auction. And no, I did not inquire about shipping, packaging, etc.. before the auction ended.

Indeed, probably my fault.

Totally OT but I was wondering if you are a part of hotflips.com I was thinking of placing an order with them and noticed that their logo is the same as your avatar...

Good thoughts all and $12 is a cheap lesson worth learning. I have no affiliation with hotflips.com. I simply stumbled upon my avatar, not there either, and chose it as it kinda fits the name. Thanks again Darth, and others, for the thoughts on standard shipping. Learning, learning, learning.....