• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Holder or old Holder

29 posts in this topic

Someday old labeled books will be scarce and would sell for double the price or mor than books slabbed in the newer holder :whistle:

It's already happened with coins. The "old holder premium" is very well known. In fact, some of the earlier design incarnations (NGC black holder, PCGS regency holder, etc) are worth FAR more to collectors of the various slab versions (serious... slab collectors) than the coin contained within.

Collectors are all freakin' loopy... :screwy:

Can you simply get it re-holdred/ If they need to crack the slab to put in new paper, wouln't that mean the books get regraded?

Thats a question, not a statement.

no, $12 to re holder means they crack slab, cut the book from the inner Mylar well, replace microchamber paper,reslab in new inner/outer well with new, large grade numbers label--done :)

No, reholders can and have been regraded if the book doesn't match the grade any longer. If a 9.8 has suffered SCS they won't put it back in a 9.8 holder for example. Reholders are checked against grade when reholdering.

Can you simply get it re-holdred/ If they need to crack the slab to put in new paper, wouln't that mean the books get regraded?

no, $12 to re holder means they crack slab, cut the book from the inner Mylar well, replace microchamber paper,reslab in new inner/outer well with new, large grade numbers label--done :)

No, reholders can and have been regraded if the book doesn't match the grade any longer. If a 9.8 has suffered SCS they won't put it back in a 9.8 holder for example. Reholders are checked against grade when reholdering.

so, you would be charged a grading fee even if it wasn't requested for a regrade? I can see if the FC has detached from the book (which happened on a Marvel 2 awhile back), it would need a regrade even if the old label said, say 4.0. Otherwise, it would seem to not support the original CGC graders opinions? :P

Old label books are very likely to not have been pressed either. That's important to some prospective owners

I'm pretty sure that's mis-information. Fact is, you don't know.

It's correct that you don't know but there is a lot better chance that a book hasn't been pressed if it's in an old label.

so, you would be charged a grading fee even if it wasn't requested for a regrade?

Yep.

I can see if the FC has detached from the book (which happened on a Marvel 2 awhile back), it would need a regrade even if the old label said, say 4.0. Otherwise, it would seem to not support the original CGC graders opinions? :P

No, if the comic has been damaged within the holder they will regrade it.

But considering old blue labels are being regraded as PLODS with a trimmed notation lately, and resubs regularly garner different grades anyway, I wouldn't be supporting anybody's opinions as it stands.

Okay, thats my point. if 7 years is the magic number then why would anyone unless it was a really good price buy a comic in a old holder considering that means it's over 7 years already in that holder.

If the microchamber is beyond its point of usefulness, I don't think that means all that much. As long as the books are stored in a cool, dry place, they'll probably be fine for many years to come. The Church books, Allentowns, etc never had the benefit of microchamber paper and they survived ok.

Storage environment plays a huge part in preservation. A much larger part, imo, than what holder the comic is sitting in.

Okay, thats my point. if 7 years is the magic number then why would anyone unless it was a really good price buy a comic in a old holder considering that means it's over 7 years already in that holder.

If the microchamber is beyond its point of usefulness, I don't think that means all that much. As long as the books are stored in a cool, dry place, they'll probably be fine for many years to come. The Church books, Allentowns, etc never had the benefit of microchamber paper and they survived ok.

Storage environment plays a huge part in preservation. A much larger part, imo, than what holder the comic is sitting in.

what a great science project it would be to compare paper freshness with the church copies sitting on those cedar shelves in Colorado for 40 years and then Slabbing them and having them sit on the same cedar shelves in the church's basement for another 40 years untouched....curious what the slab and micro chamber paper would have on the books...assuming storage conditions were kept identical to the first 40 years prior to Chuck buying them, the only variable I can think of is time--that the paper is now 70+ years old.