• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay "What would YOU do?" Episode #14,877

36 posts in this topic

I listed an item with a fixed price BIN but was accepting offers.

After about 3 days someone makes an offer which I accept.

Buyer sends payment via Paypal within a few hours of me accepting the offer.

I mail the book on Friday, a day after payment. Book is shipped insured with signature confirmation.

I leave feedback for the buyer.

Monday rolls around and I check the tracking. It says Out for Delivery, then changes to "Notice Left" which means the guy wasn't home.

I check it the next day. No update.

Next day. No update.

I'm thinking that the USPS tracking isn't updating. Not an uncommon problem with the USPS.

I neglect checking it for a few days as I assume the guy got the book because he's never emailed me.

Almost a week later I notice the guy hasn't ever left feedback so I check the tracking on the book. It says it's back at the sort facility in my town and the next day (today) it says out for delivery at MY house.

I sent the guy an email asking what was up. Nary a reply.

I don't know if he's sick, out of town or what.

Seems weird that he'd buy a book online and within a few days not be at home to receive it.

I'm still waiting on a reply from him, but I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Wait.

Hold it for 30 days.

If neither of you can find each other, cancel the sale and refund his payment minus shipping costs.

I wouldn't do anything until you hear from the buyer. You got his money and book, he will be in touch. Get his story, tell him yours. He owes you to reship by my calculations. Don't know how you feel about reshipping at your expense the second time around, but you seem nice enough.

Can't you get his contact information and call him? Something like this happened to me recently, luckilly he got the book before it was sent back and he apologized for not letting me know he was going out of town for a week.

I wouldn't do anything until you hear from the buyer. You got his money and book, he will be in touch. Get his story, tell him yours. He owes you to reship by my calculations. Don't know how you feel about reshipping at your expense the second time around, but you seem nice enough.

Had I done something wrong I'd offer to ship it on my dime in a heartbeat.

However, I won't make that offer in this situation. I'd just as soon cancel the transaction and keep the book.

Had I done something wrong I'd offer to ship it on my dime in a heartbeat.

However, I won't make that offer in this situation. I'd just as soon cancel the transaction and keep the book.

Hear his tale of woe first. I think he will pay.

This may help.

However, if a buyer returns an item without agreement from the seller through eBay Messages, we will not cover the buyer's case for the return and will not hold the seller accountable (even if the seller's original eBay listing stated a return policy).

eBay Buyer Protection

I can't find it now, but I remember reading in the eBay discussion center that a seller won a dispute after a case was opened because the buyer never picked up the shipment after notice was left and wanted a full refund.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's your choice whether you ship it out again if the buyer requests you to do so, and he would have to cover the additional shipping charges. If he just wants a refund, you can deduct your original shipping costs.

This may help.

However, if a buyer returns an item without agreement from the seller through eBay Messages, we will not cover the buyer's case for the return and will not hold the seller accountable (even if the seller's original eBay listing stated a return policy).

eBay Buyer Protection

I can't find it now, but I remember reading in the eBay discussion center that a seller won a dispute after a case was opened because the buyer never picked up the shipment after notice was left and wanted a full refund.

So as far as I'm concerned, it's your choice whether you ship it out again if the buyer requests you to do so, and he would have to cover the additional shipping charges. If he just wants a refund, you can deduct your original shipping costs.

That's the info I need. Thanks. :foryou:

This may help.

eBay Buyer Protection

That's the info I need. Thanks. :foryou:

(thumbs u

Glad it helps.

I've been worried about this scenario. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I figure the probability is high that it eventually will.

Since you ask:

If I were you, without knowing what's up one way or the other, I'd give the buyer the benefit of the doubt . Who knows, maybe USPS screwed up and left notices without ringing his bell, or left them on the wrong door, or left nothing at all. (All of these scenarios have happened to me at one time or another.)

I'd send a friendly message through ebay saying that you noticed something went wrong, ask if he knows what's going on, and take it from there.

Since you ask:

If I were you, without knowing what's up one way or the other, I'd give the buyer the benefit of the doubt . Who knows, maybe USPS screwed up and left notices without ringing his bell, or left them on the wrong door, or left nothing at all. (All of these scenarios have happened to me at one time or another.)

I'd send a friendly message through ebay saying that you noticed something went wrong, ask if he knows what's going on, and take it from there.

Agreed. Don't underestimate the power of USPS to make things interesting.

Leave him a negative feedback...

Oh wait, as sellers we can no longer do such a thing :facepalm:

Buyer paid for book but just hasn't taken receipt for whatever reason. Even though sellers can't neg buyers, there's nothing to indicate that this buyer did anything intentional to merit negative feedback.

Leave him a negative feedback...

Oh wait, as sellers we can no longer do such a thing :facepalm:

Buyer paid for book but just hasn't taken receipt for whatever reason. Even though sellers can't neg buyers, there's nothing to indicate that this buyer did anything intentional to merit negative feedback.

No. I wouldn't neg him even if I could. I hope he's ok and the problem is trivial.

This.

Buyer may be out of contact for some reason. Hopefully not, but an accident or something of the sort.

Look down at yout t-shirt. It should say "WWPFD?" (An abbreviation to live by.)

Then do what Point Five would do.

Update...

I picked up the returned package today. The box looks like it has gone 10 rounds with the champ.

I'm running late for work and jumped in my car and tilted the box to put it in the passenger's seat and I heard the rattle of something hard and plastic shift in the box. :eek:

It's still in my car. I don't know if I want to look or not. :facepalm:

The buyer still has not replied to my email.

Update...

I picked up the returned package today. The box looks like it has gone 10 rounds with the champ.

I'm running late for work and jumped in my car and tilted the box to put it in the passenger's seat and I heard the rattle of something hard and plastic shift in the box. :eek:

It's still in my car. I don't know if I want to look or not. :facepalm:

The buyer still has not replied to my email.

hm I wonder if the buyer didn't want to open the package either.