• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

Might be the result of the 48 frames per second.
Is the 48 FPS limited release or all theaters?

I believe its 50-50 or at least some percentage will show in 24 fps.

Thats the one i'm looking for.

I'm actually interested in seeing the 48fps. I have a feeling higher frame rates are what we're all going to be watching sooner or later anyway. I could always walk out if it makes me seasick. lol

The average adult can read further in the book during the running time of the movie than the characters get thru in the movie. So, yeah , I think the $tudio pressed Jack$on into stretching it into three.

With the 48fps there is a lot of optic science, going on that says in IMAX resolution (10,000×7000) it wont look good, most of it over what I remember from physics. The brain will pick up on lots of still details from frame to frame and your brain will notice jerkiness whether that's the feeling you get or not. At lower resolution things are "blurry" from frame to frame. The brain equates blurry with motion. So either see it in 24fps or maybe if your IMAX isn't real IMAX which most of them are not. Or 48fps in 3D might actually be awesome if using shutter glasses where each eye gets half the frames thus 24fps. Otherwise I don't see how the 48fps is going to look good it's just too much detail.

Im not sure what possessed Jackson to try this but in 10,000×7000 resolutions I think it would need to be over 100fps before people stopped feeling weird about how it looked.

All this geek tech talk is losing me. I don't really care about higher and higher resolution, but I am concerned by the awkwardness people are experiencing, so which version would you guys recommend to avoid that feeling? Plus I'd rather avoid the whole 3-D option.

Thanks in advance!

(thumbs u

I am on the fence on this one and can't make up my mind to go or not. I just can't see "The Hobbit" stretched out to three films. :insane:

It is kind of ridiculous. That means LotR should have been 6 movies? lol

I understand the 'soap opera effect'. A friend of mine bought a new TV which (unbeknownst to us at the time) defaulted to 48fps mode, which it does by interpolating averaged frames between each pair of frames.

It looked weird. It looked like we were watching 'behind the scenes' footage. It looked like a news report or reality TV. I since found out what we all know, which is that those sort of TV shows use the higher quality 48fps and hence our brains have grown accustomed to equating the two.

It IS better quality! The discomfort is purely a result of the association your brain has made between high framerate and reality based programming. You only think 24fps looks better because you associate the relatively blurry, jerky motion with proper cinema.

Since I watch a movie or two with this friend every week - and we never changed the setting on his TV - I have grown accustomed to it. The sharpness and smoothness of detail and motion no longer jar me back to reality. I don't think it will bother me in the Hobbit, and I will be able to enjoy the greater quality.

I understand the 'soap opera effect'. A friend of mine bought a new TV which (unbeknownst to us at the time) defaulted to 48fps mode, which it does by interpolating averaged frames between each pair of frames.

It looked weird. It looked like we were watching 'behind the scenes' footage. It looked like a news report or reality TV. I since found out what we all know, which is that those sort of TV shows use the higher quality 48fps and hence our brains have grown accustomed to equating the two.

It IS better quality! The discomfort is purely a result of the association your brain has made between high framerate and reality based programming. You only think 24fps looks better because you associate the relatively blurry, jerky motion with proper cinema.

Since I watch a movie or two with this friend every week - and we never changed the setting on his TV - I have grown accustomed to it. The sharpness and smoothness of detail and motion no longer jar me back to reality. I don't think it will bother me in the Hobbit, and I will be able to enjoy the greater quality.

Now I get it. We were watching TV at a friend's place the other night and he had one of those TVs, and we all complained that it looked like PBS-quality TV because it looked 'real'.

I am on the fence on this one and can't make up my mind to go or not. I just can't see "The Hobbit" stretched out to three films. :insane:

Actually that means LotR should have been 9 movies. ;)

Actually that means LotR should have been 9 movies. ;)

I is a math GOD! :facepalm:

I still can't wait to see my friends again in Middle Earth. :cloud9:

But what about seeing the movie?

:shrug: I didn't know DiceX had any friends.

The only 3D movie that didn't make me feel like tossing my cookies was Dredd, and I think that's only because the whole movie was in slow motion. 2D Hobbit for this kid, which most likely means a trip to the ghetto theatre that doesn't even have stadium seating.