• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

One frequent comment is that essentially this film is the equivalent of the "extended" DVD versions of the first three films. Full of additional stuff that's appealing to hard core fans but tedious for the average film goer.

There is tendency for both film makers and book authors to be hard to rein in after they have had success. See George Lucas and the three Star Wars sequels. Or J.K. Rowling, whose HP books got longer and longer and more and more (sorry fans!) boring. By this point, Peter Jackson was going to do whatever he felt like with these films, even if the result is not going to be all that appealing to non-hard core.

I remember the first bit i saw on a tv screen with that reality mode was Owen Wilson in Behind enemy lines.

To me it looks like a film shot with a Future shop thousand dollar camera,but with the added bonus of blockbuster ressources.

I might try and check both versions just to compare,but i'll be damn hard to convince.

This is really unfortunate - I may just wait for this on blu-ray. I was excited, but I've heard way too much negativity about the what it was shot to blow $40 for the wife and I to go see it in the theater.

I don't know why everyone is whining. According to the list there are what, 100 theaters in the entire USA that can even show the movie in 48fps?

Odds are you're going to see it in the lower frame rate. If it concerns you that much look through the list and don't go to one of those theaters.

Hallelujah...Holy mess!

I don't know why everyone is whining. According to the list there are what, 100 theaters in the entire USA that can even show the movie in 48fps?

Odds are you're going to see it in the lower frame rate. If it concerns you that much look through the list and don't go to one of those theaters.

Hallelujah...Holy mess!

DiceX:The Voice of Reason :grin:

I saw this movie last night, and I'm not sure if I saw it in 24 or 48 FPS, but whichever it was, the 3D was horribly distracting. I can't say I enjoyed the 'film' at all because every time I started to get into it, the horrible 3D effects pulled me right back out.

The big, sweeping, panorama shots were cool, but any time the action was win close the 3D made it almost unwatchable in my mind. Some of the effects looked horribly amateur too, especially the stuff in the goblin cave.

Finally, there is just not enough story to stretch this thing out to this length.

I had a ticket for a 3D showing tomorrow night, but based on your post, I stopped by the theater on the way home from work and exchanged it for a 2D showing instead.

Hallelujah...Holy mess!

Wait, is it the way the movie is filmed or the way the movie is shown that the 48fps refers to?

Hallelujah...Holy mess!

Wait, is it the way the movie is filmed or the way the movie is shown that the 48fps refers to?

It was filmed 48fps to be shown at 48fps, but 90% of theaters can't show it at 48fps so you'll be watching the same frame rate as every other movie you've ever seen.

The only people this will be a problem for are the ones who want it to be a problem.

Hallelujah...Holy mess!

It's shot in 48 so if you see it in a 28 theater you'll only be seeing every other frame. I downloaded a trailer that had been converted to 48 and it looked fine. Different but not fake. I'm going to give it a chance.

Me and my son will see it over the Christmas break. He is super excited (counting down the days) and I am too. I don't expect a life changing film but I think it should follow the book to a reasonable degree and it should be enjoyable to watch. So far, I think it will meet these two criteria.

Hallelujah...Holy mess!

And my local theater supports 48. Weeee!

I'm sitting in the theater now. 48fps. IMAX. 3D. A couple of margaritas in me. Life is good. :cloud9:

A couple of Margaritas ?

Damn.We're gonna get this review.

Fflkhbeuaob h;;tjrhsaafobeebj welkfvfbki slfgvsfbv :grin:

fhigvfgvbhdfvb hm

lht;tjtiotregyfdcmdzvfk ghfghkgkf ndgbv lol

gkluossbjwa lfegk trejkghj frklgtrh Mordor !! :frustrated:

I saw this movie last night, and I'm not sure if I saw it in 24 or 48 FPS, but whichever it was, the 3D was horribly distracting. I can't say I enjoyed the 'film' at all because every time I started to get into it, the horrible 3D effects pulled me right back out.

The big, sweeping, panorama shots were cool, but any time the action was win close the 3D made it almost unwatchable in my mind. Some of the effects looked horribly amateur too, especially the stuff in the goblin cave.

Finally, there is just not enough story to stretch this thing out to this length.

I had a ticket for a 3D showing tomorrow night, but based on your post, I stopped by the theater on the way home from work and exchanged it for a 2D showing instead.

Let us know what it's like in 2D! I hope you enjoy it more than I was able to.

I'm sitting in the theater now. 48fps. IMAX. 3D. A couple of margaritas in me. Life is good. :cloud9:

A couple of Margaritas ?

Damn.We're gonna get this review.

Fflkhbeuaob h;;tjrhsaafobeebj welkfvfbki slfgvsfbv :grin:

fhigvfgvbhdfvb hm

lht;tjtiotregyfdcmdzvfk ghfghkgkf ndgbv lol

gkluossbjwa lfegk trejkghj frklgtrh Mordor !! :frustrated:

lol

Just got home. LOVED EVERY MINUTE! Had a big grin on my face walking out of the theater. Excited buzz in the lobby from everyone exiting.

Saw it in 3D 48 FPS. Thought it looked great. Zero complaints about the 3D or the 48. Will have to see it in 24 to compare, but I liked what I saw.