• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw 'The Hobbit' tonight...(Spoiler free)

261 posts in this topic

Pretty meh.

Saw it today and have to say, unfortunately, I agree with this assessment.

I really wanted to love this movie, but it didn't grab me the way Fellowship did. It looked great and the acting was decent, but something WAS missing. It felt like all they did was run/fight/run/fight/run/etc. Also it didn't feel "real". These dwarves weren't the warriors that were part of the Fellowship and yet they manage to save themselves from trolls, wargs, orcs, and a butt load of goblins. And not one death. It just wasn't believable. One of them should've been a "red shirt". And the meeting between Gollum and Bilbo felt strange. A riddle contest? Really?? I imagined something far different.

I just hope something changes in the second one. :wishluck:

Pretty meh.

I really wanted to love this movie, but it didn't grab me the way Fellowship did. It looked great and the acting was decent, but something WAS missing. It felt like all they did was run/fight/run/fight/run/etc. Also it didn't feel "real". These dwarves weren't the warriors that were part of the Fellowship and yet they manage to save themselves from trolls, wargs, orcs, and a butt load of goblins. And not one death. It just wasn't believable. One of them should've been a "red shirt". And the meeting between Gollum and Bilbo felt strange. A riddle contest? Really?? I imagined something far different.

Riddles in the dark is my favorite part of the Hobbit book. I would be very disappointed to not see this in the movie.

Pretty meh.

Riddles in the dark is my favorite part of the Hobbit book. I would be very disappointed to not see this in the movie.

I wondered if it was in the book. I never read it, so I guess I was expecting something different..

Pretty meh.

I wondered if it was in the book. I never read it, so I guess I was expecting something different..

I have nothing to add, but I like this hidden spoiler function. :)

Pretty meh.

An entire chapter of the book is dedicated to Gollum and Bilbo competing ( for Bilbo's life Gollum wants to eat him ) using riddles they pose to each other.

warner bros website has a riddle generating game currently that is in the spirit of things:

http://apps.warnerbros.com/thehobbit/riddles/us/

Pretty meh.

An entire chapter of the book is dedicated to Gollum and Bilbo competing ( for Bilbo's life Gollum wants to eat him ) using riddles they pose to each other.

warner bros website has a riddle generating game currently that is in the spirit of things:

http://apps.warnerbros.com/thehobbit/riddles/us/

Trivia note: It's a chapter that Tolkien extensively rewrote for later printings of the Hobbit to make the events conform to LOTR.

It was pretty awesome. The regular 3D IMAX was hard on my eyes probably both do to the runtime and the long panning shots that blur like crazy in 3D. I usually get no eye strain in 3D at regular running times. I am eager to check out the HFR 3D version to see if that is easier on the eyes like its reported to be. It will be worth it just to see some of the key scenes again. I was a little worried at the start and after all the negative press, but it turns out it was pretty great once it gets going. One thing that that doesn't happen often for me is that something tricks my eye enough to cause me to flinch or blink and a few shots in this had me dodging something coming at my eye like it was really there.

The new star trek IMAX 9 minute preview looked pretty, but empty, much like the first movie. Style over substance again? I was hoping for something more than flashy coincidences strung together this time.

Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. I enjoyed it. To me it had the same pacing as Fellowship. I am curious how this is going to get stretched into 3 movies. I think 2 would have been perfect.

The only thing I was upset about was no previews. I was almost as pumped about seeing the previews for Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, and Star Trek as I was about seeing The Hobbit.

Aw man not getting previews at the IMAX sucks. Maybe they are trying to maximize the number of screenings?

PS your sig line is awesome.

Thanks! Yea I don't know if it is every IMAX or just my local one. Oh well.. guess that just means I will just have to go see it again at a different theater!