• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE SPIRT: to be a movie !

33 posts in this topic

don't get overly excited. Comic properties have been snapped up regularly over the last few years with no real expectations that a film based on it will ever see the light of day. For example, Marvels Tales of the Zombie. Purchased but no one is holding their breath. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that paramount goes ahead with the 'Wathcmen'.

don't get overly excited. Comic properties have been snapped up regularly over the last few years with no real expectations that a film based on it will ever see the light of day. For example, Marvels Tales of the Zombie. Purchased but no one is holding their breath. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that paramount goes ahead with the 'Wathcmen'.

Wasn't it the TV rights for Zombie that were acquired (not the motion picture rights)? Or am I remembering that wrong?

...and just this month there have been a slew of articles about how comics movies are hot and lots more are in the works. Which I suppose is another sign that comic book based movies have jumped the shark..... perhaps.

Since I know you're not afraid of comics published before 1961, you should immediately hunt down some Spirit stories and read them. The Kitchen Sink reprints are a good place to start.

Good advice...and my wife was just asking what I want for my birthday.

I just hope its not a period piece. That would really be a kiss of death. Im also afraid itll try to be a COMEDY and a serious noir thriller. But what the heck - - -go for it! Whats the worst that can happen? Another soso film. Big deal. I wish them good luck.

You said that because you know I am looking forward to a period piece GA comic book film. You used to be such a good guy! frown.giftongue.gif

hi.gif

Since I know you're not afraid of comics published before 1961, you should immediately hunt down some Spirit stories and read them. The Kitchen Sink reprints are a good place to start.

Good advice...and my wife was just asking what I want for my birthday.

gossip.gif The Spirit Archives (DC) have now caught up to the post-War stuff, as of Volume 12 I believe. Volume 13 is the most recent. Check 'em out! (Though I also like the historical commentary you get in the Kitchen Sink color reprints, so if you have access to those back issues, go for it!)

But The Spirit HAS no brand "out there." Also there already was a Spirit film that went straight to video or cable (it was a long time ago.)

It was actually on ABC back in the mid-80s starring Sam Jones. I found my dusty VHS tape of it a couple months ago - man, was it bad. I could only handle a few minutes of it and had to turn it off.

Excited to see that they are making a movie, but scared that it will suck at the same time. Will hope for the best....

From Varity: " From his home in Florida Eisner said he believed in the producers enough to

entrust his most storied title". Here's hoping that is a least faithfull to the comic.

Very interesting quote. Eisner feels very strongly in the concept that film imitated comics, or at least panel art. He told me this himself (ok - it was during an AOL chat but it WAS him, it was my question, and that was his answer! And he came across VERY definite in his reply).

So if this is the case I will definitely hope the resultant product even starts to live up to Eisner's work (I used to collect the Spirit Sections - am starting again - loved them and still do.)

A Spirit movie?! thumbsup2.gif

Let's hope they get a talented director who can make the movie's visuals on par with Eisner's visuals.

And will Gary Coleman play Ebony?

I think The Spirit would make a great movie! Think of all the adventures there have been. From Science fiction to horror, great villians, great dames (P'Gell) and comic relief with Ebony. I could see it being a la Indiana Jones if done right.