• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a legitimate CSS 22 Ebay Auction?

39 posts in this topic

I agree... I think that 6.5 sale for almost 4K was an anomaly. If I thought I could get anywhere near 3K for my 6.0 I'd have it up for sale tomorrow.

4k for a 6.5 - that's insane for even a GFC doh!

It's not like the book is impossible in mid grade or better.

I agree, I'd actually like to see what the 9.8 or 9.6 copy would sell for.... but to be honest I haven't seen too many copies above a 5.0 or 5.5... I think I've seen 2 in 6.5 or better in the last 3 years... I bought my 6.0 privately and only because it was offered to me by a friendly boardie (shrug)

Friendly boardies with discounted books! We need more of those!

Did I say discounted? doh!

You didn't. My mistake. Friendly is still good, though, even at full price. :D

I agree... I think that 6.5 sale for almost 4K was an anomaly. If I thought I could get anywhere near 3K for my 6.0 I'd have it up for sale tomorrow.

4k for a 6.5 - that's insane for even a GFC doh!

It's not like the book is impossible in mid grade or better.

I agree, I'd actually like to see what the 9.8 or 9.6 copy would sell for.... but to be honest I haven't seen too many copies above a 5.0 or 5.5... I think I've seen 2 in 6.5 or better in the last 3 years... I bought my 6.0 privately and only because it was offered to me by a friendly boardie (shrug)

Friendly boardies with discounted books! We need more of those!

Did I say discounted? doh!

You didn't. My mistake. Friendly is still good, though, even at full price. :D

It was fmv at the time, let's put it that way... (thumbs u

I actually saw this book at Chicago Comic Con a year and a half ago. Really nice guy and a friend of John Hauser's from Missouri. He had a number of EC's with him at the show, and I was interested in buying several of them. He had been out of work for over a year, so thought maybe he might be able to part with some for market value at the time. There hadn't been a recent sale of CS 22, so no one was quite sure what it would sell for. The book has very nice white pages, great gloss and the colors really "pop". I put an offer of $1800 on the table to see if he was interested, but would have gone higher. He decided it just wasn't time to sell. He asked my opinion on the grade, and I told him I thought 8.0. He said he thought he would have it slabbed on-site, and I told him just to sell it to me, as I would just crack it out of the slab anyway.

Ran into him the next day, and he did have it graded onsite, and was the 8.0. Emailed him a few times since then about buying it, but still no interest. When I saw the book come up on eBay out of Missouri, I thought it was probably the same one. I emailed him yesterday, and he says, yes it is.

It is a beauty, and had I not blown so much on recent auctions, would be making him an offer closer to his current starting price. He's legit, the book's legit. He also has a large number of subscription copies of EC's that he bought at an auction many years back still in the sleeves, some with creases, others not.

Thank you for clarifying the validity of this auction. Nice to know that it is real. You would have been a very happy man if you had bought it for 1800 or 2400 for that matter. That said, I think it's a 3500 to 4K book, max. Just my opinion and what do I know?

Book relisted with with opening bid lowered to $3999.

Rich now has a copy on fleabay @ 2500 range. That might have influenced the price drop??

:popcorn:

Maybe he just shot for the moon at 5k and is now coming down to a reasonable price? Hard to believe 4k is reasonable, but based on the CLink sales this year I'd be considering it if I was in the market for a high grade copy.

Rich now has a copy on fleabay @ 2500 range. That might have influenced the price drop??

Maybe he just shot for the moon at 5k and is now coming down to a reasonable price? Hard to believe 4k is reasonable, but based on the CLink sales this year I'd be considering it if I was in the market for a high grade copy.

You could be dead on. This book certainly has the same fire as AF15... feels that way watching it go up and up on the heels of Vault #12.

Not a bargain but I could see him getting his asking maybe. It's a nice looking copy. I didn't see the 2500.00 copy on ebay though. (shrug) I did see quite a few mid grade 5.0ish copies.

You could be dead on. This book certainly has the same fire as AF15... feels that way watching it go up and up on the heels of Vault #12.

Maybe, but it seems like a bubble to me. A 4K book today and a 2K book this time next year.

Not a bargain but I could see him getting his asking maybe. It's a nice looking copy. I didn't see the 2500.00 copy on ebay though. (shrug) I did see quite a few mid grade 5.0ish copies.

Rich's copy is "FN+/VF", whatever that means (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRIME-SUSPENSE-STORIES-22-1954-SEVERING-RELATIONS-/380467061918

I'd be interested to see what Heritage would get for a high grade copy these days (i.e., what's "top dollar"). My guess is that they'd pull $4k easy for a white pager in 8.0 like this one.

Maybe, but it seems like a bubble to me. A 4K book today and a 2K book this time next year.

That bubble has been holding pretty steady for the last year or so... Hard to say but I tend to agree. Makes me think it may be the right time to sell now.