• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Movie Plot Hole Thread

253 posts in this topic

Now, despite what others thing about it, I love Citizen Kane but the movie starts off with a HUGE problem. The entire movie is centered around reporters trying to figure out "who" Rosebud is or what it means.

Not one single person was there to hear his final word before he drops the snow globe at the beginning of the film.

[font:Book Antiqua]My first thought was the nurse,

So I went to You tube and you were right,

nobody was there..!!![/font]

:o

The Nurse was in the -script...

DISSOLVE:

THE WINDOW (MINIATURE)

Camera moves in until the frame of the window fills the frame

of the screen. Suddenly, the light within goes out. This

stops the action of the camera and cuts the music which has

been accompanying the sequence. In the glass panes of the

window, we see reflected the ripe, dreary landscape of Mr.

Kane's estate behind and the dawn sky.

DISSOLVE:

INT. KANE'S BEDROOM - FAINT DAWN -

A very long shot of Kane's enormous bed, silhouetted against

the enormous window.

DISSOLVE:

INT. KANE'S BEDROOM - FAINT DAWN - SNOW SCENE.

An incredible one. Big, impossible flakes of snow, a too

picturesque farmhouse and a snow man. The jingling of sleigh

bells in the musical score now makes an ironic reference to

Indian Temple bells - the music freezes -

KANE'S OLD OLD VOICE

Rosebud...

The camera pulls back, showing the whole scene to be contained

in one of those glass balls which are sold in novelty stores

all over the world. A hand - Kane's hand, which has been

holding the ball, relaxes. The ball falls out of his hand and

bounds down two carpeted steps leading to the bed, the camera

following. The ball falls off the last step onto the marble

floor where it breaks, the fragments glittering in the first

rays of the morning sun. This ray cuts an angular pattern

across the floor, suddenly crossed with a thousand bars of

light as the blinds are pulled across the window.

The foot of Kane's bed. The camera very close. Outlined

against the shuttered window, we can see a form - the form of

a nurse, as she pulls the sheet up over his head. The camera

follows this action up the length of the bed and arrives at

the face after the sheet has covered it.

FADE OUT:

Shawshank Redemption: Andy escapes by tunneling through solid rock behind a poster of the babe of the month. When he escapes, he puts the poster back up. From inside the tunnel.

The poster is stuck to the wall by the top corners. He lifted the bottom of the poster and crawled through. The poster fell back down behind him. :gossip:

That doesn't explain how the poster is tight enough against the wall that when the warden throws a chess piece at it, it tears right through...

Transformers - If the Decepticons could hack into the Pentagon, why not hack into eBay and buy the glasses that have the map to the All Spark?

now..call me crazy, but....why not just bid on them and buy them (shrug)

...wait..actually, I think illegal aliens can't get ebay accounts... hm

Ches,

Regarding Twelve Monkeys....I think the point of that movie is that everything that happened/happens is beyond the control of those trying to change it. So I don't think that the message left that he's hearing in the future was out of synch with the movie as no matter what all these things happen/happened. Ultimately if I remember correctly it was through the attempted tampering of the timeline that the person who released the disease got access to the disease anyway...so really time may not be as Linear of a concept as we think?

Ches,

Regarding Twelve Monkeys....I think the point of that movie is that everything that happened/happens is beyond the control of those trying to change it. So I don't think that the message left that he's hearing in the future was out of synch with the movie as no matter what all these things happen/happened. Ultimately if I remember correctly it was through the attempted tampering of the timeline that the person who released the disease got access to the disease anyway...so really time may not be as Linear of a concept as we think?

I hate to think that everything that is going to happen is already written. The thing that blew my mind though, was that when he was in the insane assylum, by mistake, he might have been the person who thought of the idea of the global virus by influencing the pharmaceutical giant's son, who in turn might have had a hand in having the head pharmacist in his father's company, in ultimately releasing the virus.

Ches,

I hate to think that everything that is going to happen is already written. The thing that blew my mind though, was that when he was in the insane assylum, by mistake, he might have been the person who thought of the idea of the global virus by influencing the pharmaceutical giant's son, who in turn might have had a hand in having the head pharmacist in his father's company, in ultimately releasing the virus.

That is it though everything is already written. As the audience we're not expected to realize this...that no matter what happens nothing will change...pretty clever really, considering all the popular time travel movies of the prior decade where time travel manipulation usually results in a happy ending with a Hughie Lewis song tossed in...another mind blower...the lead scientist from the future is sitting next to the man that releases the virus on the airplane at the end of the movie.

Love the Lord of the Rings films. Then a boardie posted this insanely logical observation:

Why didn't they just fly the giant eagle to Mount Doom?

hm:facepalm:

Still enjoy the films, but damn. lol

I said the same thing during the HOBBIT in regards to the LONELY MOUNTAIN. I'm guessing the eagles are afraid. They are simply nothing more than giant animals. MOUNT DOOM is a bloody volcano infested with orcs and worse.

Now, despite what others thing about it, I love Citizen Kane but the movie starts off with a HUGE problem. The entire movie is centered around reporters trying to figure out "who" Rosebud is or what it means.

Not one single person was there to hear his final word before he drops the snow globe at the beginning of the film.

The nurse running in the room could have heard it, but pretty unlikely. You're right, that's a pretty big gaffe.

Love the Lord of the Rings films. Then a boardie posted this insanely logical observation:

Why didn't they just fly the giant eagle to Mount Doom?

hm:facepalm:

Still enjoy the films, but damn. lol

I thought they were trying to hide from Sauron. (shrug)

Very good point. Flying upon giant eagles is less than subtle.

In the Fellowship of the Ring, during the fight on Weathetop, how is Aragorn able to send the Black Riders packing with just his sword and a torch? Then where do the Riders go? Don't they notice Aragorn and the hobbits leaving Weathertop? They don't seem to be around during the search for the herb to treat Frodo.

I questioned that too...

In Return of the Jedi how does a, and I quote, "Legion of the Emperors Best Troops" get beaten by a bunch of teddy bears with sharp sticks?

I agree, how does the most powerful, equipped, advanced military on the planet get bested by a bunch of jungle dwelling, lightly armed, foes?

That would never happen in real life. meh

:signfunny:

Ches,

That is it though everything is already written. As the audience we're not expected to realize this...that no matter what happens nothing will change...pretty clever really, considering all the popular time travel movies of the prior decade where time travel manipulation usually results in a happy ending with a Hughie Lewis song tossed in...another mind blower...the lead scientist from the future is sitting next to the man that releases the virus on the airplane at the end of the movie.

:o :o

Holee...schhh....

(worship) (worship) (worship)

In Return of the Jedi how does a, and I quote, "Legion of the Emperors Best Troops" get beaten by a bunch of teddy bears with sharp sticks?

I agree, how does the most powerful, equipped, advanced military on the planet get bested by a bunch of jungle dwelling, lightly armed, foes?

That would never happen in real life. meh

This was the POST OF THE WEEK!! (thumbs u (thumbs u

Transformers - If the Decepticons could hack into the Pentagon, why not hack into eBay and buy the glasses that have the map to the All Spark?

now..call me crazy, but....why not just bid on them and buy them (shrug)

Because they would've got sniped at the last second of course. :makepoint:

Star Wars Episode 1

Young anaiken saves the day. Saves the planet. He has more meticlorons than even Master Yoda.

He is the Chosen One of the Jedi Prophesy......

But the Jedi can't free his mother from slavery. Thank God the Moisture Farmer had enough cash to spring her free.

The whole thing could have been avoided if the Jedi in their big palace had as much money the the Moisture Farmer.

Lucas is a whore.

In the Karate Kid, the first one, with Ralph Macchio as Daniel-san, the big climactic tournament finals with Daniel vs. Johnny.

The rules are: You can hit the head, sternum, kidneys, and ribs, and you need three points to win.

After the score is tied two to two, Johnny punches Daniel in the head.

Game over. Johnny wins.

Daniel can't do his crane kick because he already lost on the head punch.

Earlier in the tourney a player is disqualified for "excess or deliberate contact". They obviously saw Johnny's punch to the side of the head as excessive enough to not allow the point.

Oh and :censored: Johnny.

Billy Zabka, who played Johnny, is one of the most genuinely nice "celebrities" I have ever met.