• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Movie Plot Hole Thread

253 posts in this topic

In Harry Potter, once time turners are introduced, why doesn't someone just take one back to when Voldemort was a kid and kill him before he goes to Hogwarts?

It's only restriction that it's for short term time travel and it's only used in one movie/book. Would have been handy a number of times. It's given back to McGonagall at the end of the book. A large supply of Time-Turners is kept at the Ministry, as seen in Order of the Phoenix; however, during the events of that book, a glass-fronted cabinet containing the Time-Turners is destroyed. Due to their time-affecting properties, the cabinet is seen to fall, shatter and repair itself repeatedly. In Half-Blood Prince, Hermione references an article in The Daily Prophet which stated that "the entire stock of Ministry Time-Turners" was destroyed during that incident.

First line may be valid - but the idea would probably have been to use one way before Harry was even born (hence before they are destroyed)

In Harry Potter, once time turners are introduced, why doesn't someone just take one back to when Voldemort was a kid and kill him before he goes to Hogwarts?

It's only restriction that it's for short term time travel and it's only used in one movie/book. Would have been handy a number of times. It's given back to McGonagall at the end of the book. A large supply of Time-Turners is kept at the Ministry, as seen in Order of the Phoenix; however, during the events of that book, a glass-fronted cabinet containing the Time-Turners is destroyed. Due to their time-affecting properties, the cabinet is seen to fall, shatter and repair itself repeatedly. In Half-Blood Prince, Hermione references an article in The Daily Prophet which stated that "the entire stock of Ministry Time-Turners" was destroyed during that incident.

First line may be valid - but the idea would probably have been to use one way before Harry was even born (hence before they are destroyed)

I agree, right when Voldemort gets active, it would have been an opportune time to set things right and avoid the conflict. Then again, there would be no Harry Potter books this way - it would have been a pamphlet.

Love the Lord of the Rings films. Then a boardie posted this insanely logical observation:

Why didn't they just fly the giant eagle to Mount Doom?

hm:facepalm:

Still enjoy the films, but damn. lol

I thought they were trying to hide from Sauron. (shrug)

In the Fellowship of the Ring, during the fight on Weathetop, how is Aragorn able to send the Black Riders packing with just his sword and a torch? Then where do the Riders go? Don't they notice Aragorn and the hobbits leaving Weathertop? They don't seem to be around during the search for the herb to treat Frodo.

In Return of the Jedi how does a, and I quote, "Legion of the Emperors Best Troops" get beaten by a bunch of teddy bears with sharp sticks?

I agree, how does the most powerful, equipped, advanced military on the planet get bested by a bunch of jungle dwelling, lightly armed, foes?

That would never happen in real life. meh

During the Two Towers Sam is cooking a Rabbit stew... I didn't see him use any seasoning like salt or pepper... I'm sorry but thats just going to taste ruddy awful.

Everybody knows that rabbit tastes great as it is.

In Return of the Jedi how does a, and I quote, "Legion of the Emperors Best Troops" get beaten by a bunch of teddy bears with sharp sticks?

I agree, how does the most powerful, equipped, advanced military on the planet get bested by a bunch of jungle dwelling, lightly armed, foes?

That would never happen in real life. meh

lol

Book of Eli:

Denzel Washington is an unbelievable assassin. Taking on gangs of people by himself. At the end of the movie it is revealed that he is blind. Worst plot twist ever!

At first I though the same thing. But after watching it again it seems his vision was simply impaired and not totally gone. It was obvious he could see light and dark and shapes.

Also the "blind warrior" is pretty common theme in mythology and literature. It's a metaphor for faith guiding the way and not mortal sight. (thumbs u

I like to call this thread, "Nerds with too much time."

Shouldn't you be sharpening your tilting sticks, Quixote?

He put them on his "secret santa want list" so he assumes he's covered.

Star Wars: There are light speed ships, planet sized Death Stars, artificial intelligence androids, planets of intelligent life, but apparently no email or internet, as Leia has to send the hologram in R2D2 instead of simply uploading it.